Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2016, 08:02 PM   #1

Andersen Hitch has a new breaking material

Last year i had a issue with the andersen making bad creaking noises when turning . stopped at the factory in Idaho Falls and they fix me all up set my hitch brackets replaced the ball and breaking material with the new black colored material instead of the red . After leaving Fl this spring the hitch was back to creaking again made it back to Colorado and will be leaving in a few days for West Yellowstone and going right by the Andersen factory again . After a Call to them i will stop by and GET the NEW and IMPROVED breaking material which is now white and grey . I was told that this will work wet or dry and will eliminate the creaking for good .

So those of you with the Andersen my want to get the new breaking material installed . I like the hitch very much and since this is basically a new design in WD hitches i expect some changes as they work out the minor bugs . still much better IMO then 150# greasy old fashion spring bar WD hitch . don't and won't give up the andersen the company is standing behind the product and go out of their way to make things right
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:09 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
Last year i had a issue with the andersen making bad creaking noises when turning . stopped at the factory in Idaho Falls and they fix me all up set my hitch brackets replaced the ball and breaking material with the new black colored material instead of the red . After leaving Fl this spring the hitch was back to creaking again made it back to Colorado and will be leaving in a few days for West Yellowstone and going right by the Andersen factory again . After a Call to them i will stop by and GET the NEW and IMPROVED breaking material which is now white and grey . I was told that this will work wet or dry and will eliminate the creaking for good .

So those of you with the Andersen my want to get the new breaking material installed . I like the hitch very much and since this is basically a new design in WD hitches i expect some changes as they work out the minor bugs . still much better IMO then 150# greasy old fashion spring bar WD hitch . don't and won't give up the andersen the company is standing behind the product and go out of their way to make things right
NS, I finally ditched the Reese DC and went with the Andersen 3380. I've pulled a total of 10 miles and think I can feel the improvement. It was fairly windy that day. I heading west soon and will really give it a test. I wonder if I can tell if the hitch has the new material? I'll look again, but don't think you can actually see what color it is. I'll have to go with what it is, no matter.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:18 AM   #3

WW yes you can see it you most likely have the black you should be able to see it around the ball shank . the new is white/grey the old was first red then black .
no need to worry about sway or bounce with the andersen . i have over 6500 miles with it and other then the creaking that has developed it works great
Old 05-02-2016, 11:32 AM   #4

Boy, that creak would wake up a campground, huh?

2014 Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:40 AM   #5

NS,
Thanks for the info. I still have the red material but I will be emailing Andersen to see how they can help me. I just started to get some noises when backing into the driveway...
Old 05-02-2016, 06:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post
Boy, that creak would wake up a campground, huh?

\

Nope not nearly as bad as those pulling in with the old fashion bar type banging around for hours as they try to back up and un-hook .those not only wake up the campground but also the next campground down the road

But then i would guess you don't own or have you never used an Andersen WD and don't know what we are talking about let alone know what your talking about

I see now yu tow with a trundra . better stick with the olf fashion wd as the andersen is for real trucks
Old 05-02-2016, 09:17 PM   #7

Quote:
\

Nope not nearly as bad as those pulling in with the old fashion bar type banging around for hours as they try to back up and un-hook .those not only wake up the campground but also the next campground down the road

But then i would guess you don't own or have you never used an Andersen WD and don't know what we are talking about let alone know what your talking about

I see now yu tow with a trundra . better stick with the olf fashion wd as the andersen is for real trucks

Wow- I see that you assume and don't ask first. Yes I do have an Anderson and love the fact that we don't have to unhook to back up. Not to mention that to hook up is so easy that my teenaged daughter does it.

My experience with the black material literally scared the three campsites next to me as we pulled out. Turns out that it rained that trip and no one warned us about not getting it wet. After talking with Anderson, I made a little cover to go around the shank and cover the rest from water run off.

As for the real truck comment, whatever. You like your truck and I like mine. Yea, Anderson is tough to set for a half ton with high tongue weight- but mine is set and we tow well.

Enjoy!

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:31 PM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:

Holy angry much? You know this is just about RVing and isn't actually important... right?
Old 05-02-2016, 11:00 PM   #9

Love the Anderson WD and works great with my 1/2ton 😜Chevy
Play Harder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 12:14 PM   #10

Moved my Anderson from the Dodge Dakota to the Chebby 2500HD to the F450 for three TTs. Too cheap to buy another and since I really don't need it for the 450, that works.
breezyhillfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 12:27 PM   #11

Mine does have the black friction material.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 05-03-2016, 02:30 PM   #12

I loved my Andersen. It was everything advertised. when it traded for 5er, I bought Andersen Ultimate. Love it also. I have Andersen wd for sale. $350.
ccsvolsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:27 PM   #13

I really like the Andersen hitch, I converted two years ago and my 1/2 ton Ford pulls real nice with this setup. My first trip using the hitch was over 2,000 miles and I notice a huge difference when passing or being passed by semi's. Plus the fact it seems easier to back into a spot.
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:44 PM   #14

How well would the Anderson be for a one ton tv and a th with 1350 to 1450 tw ?
Big Red and 30WR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:53 PM   #15

They are rated up to 1400 tw.
Check out their website -
https://www.andersenhitches.com/Cata...ion-hitch.aspx
I love mine and would recommend them to anyone.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:03 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red and 30WR View Post
How well would the Anderson be for a one ton tv and a th with 1350 to 1450 tw ?

I bought one (an Andersen) for my Nitro 31fqsl and didn't have good luck. Of course I'm pushing the limit of the Andersen. I switched to a Reese dual cam with 1500 lb bars and saw a significant improvement.

Sounds like the hyperlites are running it with good results.

-R.Jones
Nitro 31FQSL
R3Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3Jones View Post
I bought one (an Andersen) for my Nitro 31fqsl and didn't have good luck. Of course I'm pushing the limit of the Andersen. I switched to a Reese dual cam with 1500 lb bars and saw a significant improvement.

Sounds like the hyperlites are running it with good results.

-R.Jones
Nitro 31FQSL
I got a reese dual cams (old style )hitch with 1500 bars that I`ll try first . Before I spend more money . Have a equalizer 12k 1200 that I think I can do better . Won`t take much to swap hitches out and try the reese first .
Big Red and 30WR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:42 PM   #18
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

I towed my Dutchmen Kodiak 242resl behinf my Mercedes GL450 for 3 years about 15,000 miles using my Andersen WDH and it lived up to their no sway name and was a very enjoyable tow. Traded up to a 5er last year and run with the Andersen Ultimate. Still have the old Andersen WDH in a box. Probably will sell it if I get a reasonable offer. I am in Dallas TX.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:47 AM   #19

Quote:
\

Why would someone in the final stages of arrival (campground, driveway) not just get out and loosen the pressure handle? Expecting high winds or a passing semi, are we? Or just enjoy all the groaning and popping?

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 02:58 PM   #20

First if its working properly there is no noise unlike nearly all the rest. Not sure what a pressure handle is; but if your talking about "load or sprung or WD" bars (?) The equivalent in an Andersen would be to back off in the tension chain nuts and remove the triangle plate. As you enter the park you would stop in the road and run the tongue jack down to take off the pressure to remove the triangle plate. Leaving a park just the reverse. Same work if I did that on my old Reese DC. I've heard a lot of creaking and popping when others drive in and out. Maybe only a few would be so courteous but it would be a neighborly thing to do. I like the folks with the diesels that fire the up around 4 in the morning and take way too long to hookup; idling noisily the whole time. Far more annoying than an occasional creak.
WW.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas

Tags
hitch