Old 10-17-2011, 06:48 PM   #11

Hey, congrats on the new rig. Hope you had a good time checking it out. Did you end up with the one from Michigan? thought I was gonna get close to a deal on a 2012 3514, but then the dealer started playing number games and I won't waste my time. Assured me he does want to gain my business as a customer though. Yeah, $31000 and a 3 year old toyhauler is almost what I want to spend to help him out!

Old 10-19-2011, 08:45 AM   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to tlhintoq
Arrived in Michigan last night. It was the1300 mile drive of mishaps. First the refridgerator outdoor plastic panel was ripped off by the thunderstorm. Then 30 miles from the dealership my trade-in froze/threw a bearing on the right side second axel and the entire wheel and mount flew off. Believe it or not the Sandpiper tows so well I didn't realize at first and was able to come to a safe stop. An hour later a roadside assist truck was able to chain up the axel and we limped in the last 30 miles at 30mph.

My first fear of course was that I would be stuck in MI with no way back and the dealership would break the deal. They were instead very accommodating and said "The deal is still sound. We'll do the repair and you can pay for it. That way the paperwork stays clean." So that seemed great to me.

It was night. We parked the old and new units next to each other nose to tail so the doors faced each other. We moved everything from old to new and got settled in for the night. That's when I started to realize the major things this unit was supposed to have and doesn't:
- 6438-2 Arctic weather package: Insulation, double pane windows, tank heaters
- VIP party patio package
- Bedroom air conditioner

All up that's about 6500 in options that were supposed to be in this unit. It now 0845hrs and I'm waiting for the sales rep to work this out.

More to follow after we talk...

Old 11-17-2011, 08:23 PM   #13

We got our 2012 40X12 3 months ago from Fun Town RV and have loved it. The only real upgrade we have done is to add a 2nd battery. So far, it is a great unit!

Phil Tripp
2012 40X12 XLR Thunderbolt
2006 3/4 ton Dodge 2500
Old 11-25-2011, 09:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlhintoq View Post
Arrived in Michigan last night. It was the1300 mile drive of mishaps. First the refridgerator outdoor plastic panel was ripped off by the thunderstorm. Then 30 miles from the dealership my trade-in froze/threw a bearing on the right side second axel and the entire wheel and mount flew off. Believe it or not the Sandpiper tows so well I didn't realize at first and was able to come to a safe stop. An hour later a roadside assist truck was able to chain up the axel and we limped in the last 30 miles at 30mph.

My first fear of course was that I would be stuck in MI with no way back and the dealership would break the deal. They were instead very accommodating and said "The deal is still sound. We'll do the repair and you can pay for it. That way the paperwork stays clean." So that seemed great to me.

It was night. We parked the old and new units next to each other nose to tail so the doors faced each other. We moved everything from old to new and got settled in for the night. That's when I started to realize the major things this unit was supposed to have and doesn't:
- 6438-2 Arctic weather package: Insulation, double pane windows, tank heaters
- VIP party patio package
- Bedroom air conditioner

All up that's about 6500 in options that were supposed to be in this unit. It now 0845hrs and I'm waiting for the sales rep to work this out.

More to follow after we talk...
Did they get it right for you ? Also are you pulling that with the truck in your sig ?
Old 12-18-2011, 07:28 PM   #15

Check it out 40 ways from Sunday before you take delivery.
Here are the following problems we have had. One of the fuel gages quit working, the dump tank valves are hard to get to, the tank monitor lights/levels didn't work from the beginning, have been looking for a 12 volt electrical problem for nearly a month, one of the under sink vent caps was stuck open with some kind of goop inside, so the smell from the dump tank came up into the bathroom, (took us over a year to find that one), have asked for a wiring schematic, (rumor has it they don't even have one for the assembly line), a wiring harness as thick as your wrist wasn't installed correctly in one of the slides and consequently after about the first few months of use, pushed out one of the wooden panels hiding it. One of the holding tanks was labled "grey" when in fact it was a black tank, with no back flushing capibility yet.
Kinda hard to return it to the dealer everytime something happens when the dealer is 1500 miles away and we're full timers. Also it makes it difficult when some dealers won't honor FR's warranty. I could go on but I hope you get the idea.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:12 PM   #16

After the experience we have had with our 40 Ft. Sandpiper, I wouldn't recommend buying anything made by Forest River. We bought it on March 11th of this year, lived in it for two weeks, before going home (we are in AZ), came back to AZ and have been in it two weeks. This is a total of 4 weeks and we have had nothing but trouble. We have had 21 things go wrong with it. The dealer we purchased it from has been great about coming out and fixing things, but hey, 21 things is absolutely a lemon.