Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2016, 07:18 PM   #1

Anybody hauling a TriGlide in a 27HFS?

Thinking about trading up.
breezyhillfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 05:15 PM   #2

May want to check out the ramp and what it may take to get a Tri-Glide up into it.
wrsmsgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 05:38 PM   #3

Thanks. It has 1/2" less clearance than the Freewheeler, so that is good advice.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:23 PM   #4

Be careful. The Tri-Glide's length is 8.75' (105.1"), and the garage on a 27HFS is only 9'. That leaves 3" clearance front to rear!

I have a 29HFS that has a 10' garage, and my Ultra fits in it fine, but not with lots of room to spare.
DennisTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:12 PM   #5

Thanks. Good advice.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:54 PM   #6

Breezy,
I have the same 27 HFS and am also looking to upgrade to the Tri-Glide. As already mentioned, there will only be 3 inches or less of front to back slop...that's 1.5" on each side. I'm thinking there are two options. First is to offset the trike lightly and let the front wheel go past the bathroom door. You'll have to secure the bathroom door somehow to keep it from banging/scratching the front of the bike. Second and better option, I think, is to pull the trike in (centered) and at the very last, crank the front wheel left or right. That should give you a few extra inches and yet not pull the bike off center too much. Being a trike, the front wheel does not need to be straight in order to keep it stable in transit. Just my thoughts.

Honestly, I'm more concerned about the ramp door's ability to handle the heavier bike, especially if you need to raise the bottom edge of the ramp to lessen the angle between the ramp and garage floor. I have to do that to keep my current Ultra Classic from bottoming out over the threshold. I'm already on my second ramp door, thanks to Lippert's poor engineering and manufacturing. They have over-promised and under-delivered on these ramp doors.
ZNR XLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:56 PM   #7

Good thoughts and thanks. Tri Glide comes in in a couple of weeks.

I'm thinking of adding some steel straps to the ramp.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezyhillfarm View Post
Good thoughts and thanks. Tri Glide comes in in a couple of weeks.

I'm thinking of adding some steel straps to the ramp.
Breezy,
I'm definitely going to add some steel or aluminum straps (angles) on the ramp extension I'm planning. Not sure how to add straps to the existing ramp. What's your plan? I'm thinking about adding 12-inch wide runs of diamond plate on the ramp door from top to bottom. Three runs that would coincide with the position of the three wheels on the tri-glide.

Very disappointed and disgusted that I even have to consider all these fixes to solve an engineering failure on Lipperts part. Fiberglass skin, Styrofoam and 3/16" plywood...really? I'd like to see the analysis that says these doors can support the weight they claim. They will of course claim the weight needs to be spread out and I'm smart enough to know that 2000 pound capacity does not mean 2000 PSI, however they apparently think most motorcycles have wheels that are 12 inches wide. And half the blame goes to FR for not recognizing the alarming trend in ramp problems and then doing something about it.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:00 AM   #9

Thanks XNR XLR. I haven't figured it out yet. The Tri comes in next month so probably won't be an issue until Spring 2017.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezyhillfarm View Post
Thanks XNR XLR. I haven't figured it out yet. The Tri comes in next month so probably won't be an issue until Spring 2017.
I'm officially jealous. My tri is still in the "I really want it, but can I afford it?" stage. Hopefully, you're somewhere where you can still enjoy the ride a month from now when it finally arrives. Like a kid at Christmas. Have fun.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:14 PM   #11

Thanks. We're trading a 2004 Road King Custom and our 2015 Freewheeler toward it, so the difference was manageable.

I kept trying to add stuff to the Freewheeler and the charging system couldn't handle it. The Tri has everything already on it and a charging system that has 50% excess capacity for more.

We're in Ohio but ride if the roads are clear and it's over 50 degrees.