Old 11-14-2015, 09:05 PM   #51
John513

Bigger would be nice, but I have like 5 20s, so I don't need to add to the pile of tanks. I keep 4 with me, the 2 that it came with and 2 I had at home. I filled 3 tanks 2 weeks ago and now just filled 3 more empty ones. One of my hoses is longer so I keep 2 on the tongue and 2 on the ground at camp. I use the ones on ground first which I have a gauge on them so I don't have to keep taking the tank cover off. Kinda sucked at 4 am this morning waking up freezing since I didn't check last night.

Old 11-14-2015, 09:11 PM   #52
John513

PH or whoever is interested. I came across a heat strip kit that you can install into your AC unit. Thinking about doing that at some point to try it out and save little use on propane and utilise the electricity at camp. Besides installing heat strip, you have to change out the thermostat and controller as well. It's about 130 bucks for the parts I found.

Old 11-14-2015, 09:13 PM   #53

PH, have one of the propane heaters for the house... Seldom use it but works great... the patio would be a nice place for one. You might get your DW to sit outside with you if you did that. With two you would be sweating... maybe.
WW
Old 11-14-2015, 09:23 PM   #54
John513

You could be like my neighbor here at camp a roll in with a flatbed trailer with a 300 pounder like you would use for your house. He got a big motor home and planning on staying a while.
Old 11-14-2015, 09:28 PM   #55

A while back and just out of curiosity, I had one of my 20lb BBQ tanks filled at Tractor's Supply and exchanged the 2nd tank at a Mini-Mart. When I got home, I weighed the two tanks on DW's bathroom scales. The TS tank weighed 3.6 lbs more than the exchanged tank.
I don't remember if the Mini-Mart tank stall states just how "full" the tanks are, but they ARE NOT Full.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 09:31 PM   #56
John513

Yes when you do an exchange they are not full. They are like only 75%. Propane refill place told me that one, so your paying more for less propane.
Old 11-14-2015, 10:07 PM   #57

Today's 20# tanks are designed not to be filled up over 80%. Weigh the tank and subtract the tar weight (The TW is stamped on the tank) and you will know how many pounds of fuel you have. I would consider that 15-16 pounds over the tar weight is pretty much full.
Old 11-15-2015, 03:24 PM   #58

A full 20# cylinder l, filled to 80% of what it will hold in water, is 4.7 gals; it weighs 4.2# / gallon, which totals about 19.7#. Tare weight (the empty tank) is usually around 17# bringing the weight if a full tank to 37#... Mol... depending on the temperature.
WW
Old 11-15-2015, 06:23 PM   #59

Thanks for the update. Apparently it was explained to me incorrectly.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:25 PM   #60
John513

I should have worded my last comment better. Take your tanks to a propane place to have refilled they fill it up which is like 80%, but if you do an exchange those tanks you are exchanging for are more like 60%.

Tags
tank, upgrade