Old 01-16-2016, 07:46 AM   #11

toy haulers have been the latest fad the last few years. They are a beast of a trailer, yet everyone wants to convince themselves that their 3/4 ton truck is all they need. I bet over 90% are over payload by at least 1000 lbs.

davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 07:48 AM   #12

My 395 would still work even with the updated pin. However, if what Bob said is true and nothing changed as far as axle placement, I wouldn't take the new number at face value either. When I got my 395 last year at this time, XLR had the pin listed at 2650 or so on their website. Now it's around 2900. However, I've scaled mine and with the garage empty but the rest of the RV loaded and ready to travel, the pin was only 2850. That's will a full front basement storage compartment, full propane, two heavy 6V batteries, storage under bed full, closet full, etc. So, like I said earlier, the "old" published pin was pretty much dead on and I have every available option. So, what's to say the old 375 weight wasn't also closer to the truth than the new one? Bottom line is you can't go by the old number, the new number, or anyone elses number. Spend $100 on a Sherline scale and check for yourself on the potential trailer you are thinking of buying. This is tougher on a special order trailer but you could always find one at a dealer speced similarly and weigh it.

Old 01-16-2016, 07:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
toy haulers have been the latest fad the last few years. They are a beast of a trailer, yet everyone wants to convince themselves that their 3/4 ton truck is all they need. I bet over 90% are over payload by at least 1000 lbs.

This is why many folks including myself start shopping XLR. When comparing identical floor plans with the competition, they have a much lighter pin weight due to axle placement. I am way under my payload with the garage empty or loaded.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:25 AM   #14

Bob sent me a private message and unfortunately confirmed that the 375amp does indeed have a new dry weight of roughly 3600lbs with all the options available. He actually weighed one himself off the line and the one he weighed came in at 3639lbs.

That weight will put me right at 150 lbs. below Rear tire capacity unloaded for a trip, with the entire family in the truck.
According to Karl4cat, when he fully loaded his 395, his weights did not change much. His pin even went down when the garage was loaded.
Here in California, guys will still pull the trigger on this. I'm trying to talk the wife into a 395, but she really likes the half bath.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:01 AM   #15

I too like the half bath but if I had to weigh driving a DRW every day vs. having a second BR, I'd go SRW every time. I drive my truck every day and camp a few weeks a year. We don't have a big family though so not much jockeying for position in the BR.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:06 AM   #16

Our Cyclone had the half bath. For us, it was a waste of space. It only got used a few times and all that meant was I had to dump an extra tank. All the grey tanks and the main black tank had dumps in front of the axle. The half bath was behind the axles so it was just an extra aggravation.

I just got to where I banned people from that bathroom on short trips.

You may see things differently. But for us, it would be better served if it had been a nice pantry for the kitchen or just a closet.

Former Forest River Campers:
2004 Puma 30FQSS
2010 Sabre 31QBDS
2014 Work & Play 30WRS
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 09:09 AM   #17

One more thing about the pin weights. At least if that's more of a realistic weight after generator, LP tanks, etc., its without toys.

You may be really close on limits of the rear axle but throwing a golf cart or something in the back may shave off a hundred or so up front.

Former Forest River Campers:
2004 Puma 30FQSS
2010 Sabre 31QBDS
2014 Work & Play 30WRS
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 09:11 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFX450RXC View Post
Our Cyclone had the half bath. For us, it was a waste of space. It only got used a few times and all that meant was I had to dump an extra tank. All the grey tanks and the main black tank had dumps in front of the axle. The half bath was behind the axles so it was just an extra aggravation.

You may see things differently. But for us, it would be better served if it had been a nice pantry for the kitchen or just a closet.
My thoughts exactly. Since black tanks dump best when over 2/3rds full and we have a small family and take shorter trips, both tanks would never be full enough at the end of a trip. Plus a second outlet, second hose or moving the main hose. Nah.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:12 AM   #19

Quote:
One more thing about the pin weights. At least if that's more of a realistic weight after generator, LP tanks, etc., its without toys.

You may be really close on limits of the rear axle but throwing a golf cart or something in the back may shave off a hundred or so up front.
Yup, my pin went down almost 300# with 1300# in the garage.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:12 AM   #20

Quote:

I agree but the little ones are only 8,10,and 12 years old. Will be camping with us for a while and considering the garage will be their bedroom also, the half bath would be great. Five people total and the bath would be a blessing when the kids argue about it.

We camp almost every month, usually with 100 miles or so but there are trips that can be a few hundred miles.