Old 01-18-2016, 12:04 PM   #31

Not sure what you truck model is but like others have suggested it might be more cost effective to build / beef up your truck rather than replacing.

Cow Bell
2010 Star Motorcycle Stratoliner Deluxe
chpence1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 06:41 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat View Post
Not every monster toyhauler requires a DRW Dave. Mine certainly doesn't. More models than not do but if you want to find one that works with a SRW, they are out there. You just need to figure out what your priorities are. If the floorplan of the RV is more important then you may well need a DRW because there are so few choices out there with pin weights that suite a SRW. IF driving a SRW daily is more important, you will need to pick from the limited units that will work with it. We just happened to be VERY lucky in that the 395 was the exact floor plan we wanted and it happened to work for a SRW which I also preferred. I had originally planned to upgrade to a DRW 350 or a 450 when the 2017 Fords came out. However, after about 10,000 miles this year through all kinds of conditions (hills, wind, traffic, etc.) my truck was so stable and handled the 395 so well that when the 17's come out I'm ordering another SB SRW albeit a CC this time. Was I prepared to drive a 450 every day? Yep. Does the increased cost make any difference to me? Nope. Hell, I love to spend money and look for any excuse to buy the biggest and the best. In this case though I'd be spending more to get a truck that suites me less.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chpence1 View Post
Not sure what you truck model is but like others have suggested it might be more cost effective to build / beef up your truck rather than replacing.
Not all require a dually, but lots do. Because of pin weight, not towing capacity or power. Most 3/4 tons towing these things have payloads just over 2000 lbs, leaving them as much as 1000 over payload. At least a SRW 1 ton would be sufficient for lots of models.

Nothing can be done to add payload capacity. Air bags level the truck, but don't increase anything.

davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 07:46 AM   #33

Actually, air bags do the exact same thing as additional or overload springs so physically they do increase payload. Just not legally and that's another whole argument waiting to happen.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:25 AM   #34

Tires are air bags that rotate......
Cow Bell
2010 Star Motorcycle Stratoliner Deluxe
chpence1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:29 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by chpence1 View Post
Tires are air bags that rotate......

And carry a lot of weight while doing so...
Old 01-20-2016, 09:45 AM   #36

This change without notice when it involves a different cabinet pull or different microwave is one thing, but when the weight increases beyond what the vehicle you planned using and probably own will haul, we should be able to back out of the deal, without notice. Who would know to do it, but I would have the seller put that in writing before any paper was signed. I got bit by this in 2014, when my little XLR was globally advertised having a CCC of around 4000#; when I got it they had dropped it to 2700#. It slipped by me, but if I ever buy another, it certainly won't. I wish we could learn by other's mistakes and not have to learn everything the hard way.
WW
Old 01-23-2016, 04:34 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat View Post
Actually, air bags do the exact same thing as additional or overload springs so physically they do increase payload. Just not legally and that's another whole argument waiting to happen.
Lets start that debate LOL

They can illegaly increase payload, if their is headroom for more weight on the axle tubes, spindles, rims and tires.

If their is no headroom for increased weight capacity in the axle, you are effectively just leveling out an overloaded vehicle.

Anyways, on topic. Thats a bum deal, but if 700 pounds makes or breaks you, i think you should have been looking at a lighter trailer or a heavier truck!

I do agree that FR should work with people if the trailer they bought isnt as advertised weights (and apparently confirmed with them). they cant expect someone to go out and buy a $80k truck because they couldnt communicate a decent estimated weight.

Personally i dont care what the 'numbers' say, i wouldnt be dragging one of these beasts any great distance with a SRW truck. Just because its not overweight doesnt mean its not a handful when the wind picks up or a truck blows by you! Got rid of both my SRW 1tons and bought the dually, so much nicer to pull with
Old 01-23-2016, 04:59 PM   #38

That's true Dave. I usually think along the lines of what applies to Ford because that's what I know best. For example my SRW 350 with 20" wheels has tire ratings of 7500# per pair and the Sterling axle rated independently of the truck is 9750#. So, the weak link is the spring pack which is what the airbags would supplement. The 250 is identical to SRW 350 so the same applies there. Other brands or configurations of those brands may well be outside what can be increased with air bags.

On your comment on how the handling is with a SRW, I guess you don't know because you've never done it? Have you ever towed your trailer with a SRW? My setup couldn't be improved upon. It's 100% stable and tows like an arrow in all conditions. I've already pulled it almost 10k miles in high winds, mountains, torrential downpours, etc. Never a white knuckle moment. EVER. The only thing it lacks is the trailer can bounce the truck a bit on really bad roads or bridge expansion joints. I can take that as opposed to driving a DRW daily the other 50 weeks out of the year.
Old 01-23-2016, 05:14 PM   #39

Fair enough. Im more of a dodge guy and although i havent dug much into the AAM axles, the Dana axles were tricky and confused alot of people.

Such as the 94-98 2500s w/manual transmission v10 and cummins trucks used a hybrid dana80 rear axle (d80 center and D70 spindles) and the 3500 used a true dana80. The dana 80 in the 3500 is confirmed by Dana to have a slightly higher load rating that what dodge specs (due to spring pack limitations mainly), a guy can safely increase load capacity there.

but then you have guys with the hybrid D80 that think they can haul the same as a 3500 w/ a true D80, throw some add-a-leafs in there and bags, then wonder why they keep burning up wheel bearings

Also, the best part of it all, is that the hybrid80, dodge spec d80 and the 'generic' d80 all have different load capacity and GCVWR specs. before a guy starts to even think about adding springs or bags thinking that they can safely increase payload, make sure you know the specs on the exact axle you are dealing with. apples are not always apples in the axle world, especially when they are all supplied to the OEM by a third party

I have pulled my trailer with both my old SRW trucks. Less than ideal in high winds thats for sure. although the one truck was not ideal for the job (lift and big balloons under it), the other truck couldnt get any more ideal as far as a SRW 1ton (ext cab short box 2wd manual trans cummins). It pulled the trailer fine, but the trailer also had no problem driving the truck if and when it wanted to. The DRW is much nicer to tow with in all aspects