Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2016, 11:31 AM   #1
Full-time 5'er

Automatic transfer switch

I have a 2016 XLR Thunderbolt toy hauler fifth wheel. The RV park I am hooked up at just recently had a power outage over the entire park and it blew out my automatic transfer switch. After two hours, when the power was restored, transfer switch would not switch back to shore power. When the electrician came out, I was hardwired to shore power and I'm waiting for a new transfer switch. I was advised to purchase and install a surge protector. Can someone help me decide what kind of surge protector I should buy. Is there one that will accommodate 20, 30 and 50 amp power pedestals? I've seen some that run from 60 to $70 and I have seen some as high as $300, do I need to buy a surge protector for each level of amperage?
2018 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
mnolasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 11:43 AM   #2

I would get one that is the same rating as your trailer is wired for. a 50 amp unit can handle 50, 30, and 15 amps. a 30 can handle 30 and 15. the real question is hardwired or portable.
Old 08-06-2016, 11:52 AM   #3
Site Team

Surge and outlet amps are not the same thing. You get one (surge guard) to match whatever power connection your RV is, and it should still protect you no matter what outlet you plug into.

The best thing is an EMS (Electrical Management System) that not only has surge protection, but other functions. It will not allow miswired pedestals to damage your RV, as well as cut power to your RV should voltage get too low or too high, and protect appliances from these conditions too.

The EMS are higher than just a dedicated surge guard, but save money in the long run, should their protection be needed. They make a hardwired and portable version.

The Progressive Industries seem to be the favorite of many members here.

More reading here:

Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 12:03 PM   #4

One other point. I had my transfer switch fail this spring. I was able to source the same brand from a local shop. He had a TS that also had surge protection built in. This will not take the place of a EMS but is another layer of protection bathe surge part is also a replaceable board so if and when it is blown the board is cheaper and easier to replace.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:20 PM   #5
Toy Haulin' Full Time!

I have a 2016 Vengeance Touring Edition 38L13 toyhauler. My Onan 5500 turns on, the red light keeps blinking. The generator runs and has power going out, however the power does not come into the camper. I figure it is the transfer switch. I cannot find the transfer switch in my camper. Can someone help me with where I can find this transfer switch, please.
Earvinery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:35 PM   #6

Your transfer switch should be located in your battery compartment next to the generator. Good luck.
Mastertech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 02:54 PM   #7

Surge Guard

This is what I purchased, but also remember to buy the cord locking devise so it doens't walk off. I bought both.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	122445  
Tim Coltrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 10:25 PM   #8
Always Learning

This should help:
What surge protector is best?
Old 03-03-2018, 09:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnolasco View Post
I have a 2016 XLR Thunderbolt toy hauler fifth wheel. The RV park I am hooked up at just recently had a power outage over the entire park and it blew out my automatic transfer switch. After two hours, when the power was restored, transfer switch would not switch back to shore power. When the electrician came out, I was hardwired to shore power and I'm waiting for a new transfer switch. I was advised to purchase and install a surge protector. Can someone help me decide what kind of surge protector I should buy. Is there one that will accommodate 20, 30 and 50 amp power pedestals? I've seen some that run from 60 to $70 and I have seen some as high as $300, do I need to buy a surge protector for each level of amperage?
Don't throw the old TS away. it is repairable.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
switch, transfer switch