Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2013, 07:45 AM   #21

One of the earlier posts pointed out that hitting a curb could bend the spindle down. Seems very reasonable to me (and has me worried since I've done that too many times).

Not obvious to me why a bend at one point in the rotation would cause wear like that all around the tire.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:05 AM   #22

Think of it this way. Your tire, a round disc, 6" or so wide is stuck out on the end of the axle on a spindle which is a machined part welded to the end. That 6" wide tire is supposed to be flat on the ground. If you hit a curb the spindle has to bend up or maybe slightly out. It can't bend down because the forces are not in that direction. The complete tire and wheel assembly rotate on the spindle. Now the tire instead of being perpendicular to the road is tilted or cambered in at the top, which is negative camber. When the tire spins it is placing more of the weight on the outside edge of the tire and the OP was telling us that his tire was worn on the inside of the rear tire.

Before this is mentioned I'll bring it up to avoid confusion. A vehicles rear differential has an axle that rotates. If the end of the axle were bent then the tire would wobble in and out instead of just being tilted out. That is called run-out. Trailer axles don't spin just the tire and drum so if a spindle is bent the tire is tilted inward and that can and will cause excessive pressure on the outside of a tire and cause wear.

TeJay
TeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:13 AM   #23
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
... That is called run-out. Trailer axles don't spin just the tire and drum so if a spindle is bent the tire is tilted inward and that can and will cause excessive pressure on the outside of a tire and cause wear.

TeJay
Beg to differ that if the spindle is bent up (tire tilting in at top) will wear a tire on the outside. Spindle would have to be bent down (tire tilting out at the top) to wear the tire on the outside. Spindle could be bent forward (towed in) and wear on the outside also.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:13 AM   #24

TeJay, thanks for the info. I didn't know that the axle doesn't turn.

On the curb issue, I was thinking of running into the side of the curb thereby causing compression at the bottom (where the tire contacts the curb).
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:19 AM   #25

I have had both axles replaced by FR. I had one tire wearing exactly like the one pictured. Brought it to my dealer, it was looked at and FR sent two, upgraded axles to replace the two I had. I had never hit a curb or (other than very low speed backing in to sites) done any "tight turns". I think the axles were originally under-spec for the trailer. But, I got 2 new axles AND 5 (spare included) new tires. Satisfied.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:16 AM   #26

OldCoot,
I guess I'm having a brain issue. Tire camber is always using the position of the top of the tire as a reference. We know that. So if a tire is tilted towards the camper that will lessen the pressure on the outside edge of the tire and place more pressure on the inside edge of the tire and that's going to cause outside tire wear??? Unless I'm missing something I just can't compute that in my head. That won't be the first time I've had a brain block but I'd like to know how negative camber will cause outside tire wear? Just trying to clear this up in my head.

TeJay
TeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:20 AM   #27
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
OldCoot,
I guess I'm having a brain issue. Tire camber is always using the position of the top of the tire as a reference. We know that. So if a tire is tilted towards the camper that will lessen the pressure on the outside edge of the tire and place more pressure on the inside edge of the tire and that's going to cause outside tire wear??? Unless I'm missing something I just can't compute that in my head. That won't be the first time I've had a brain block but I'd like to know how negative camber will cause outside tire wear? Just trying to clear this up in my head.

TeJay
http://www.freeasestudyguides.com/caster-vs-camber.html
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:21 AM   #28
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Click image for larger version

Name:	tire_wear_pattern.jpeg
Views:	132
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	26043
Old 03-21-2013, 09:23 AM   #29
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Few more

Name:   images-1.jpeg
Views: 223
Size:  3.6 KB

Click image for larger version

Name:	tire-wear-patterns_1_.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	26045
Old 03-21-2013, 09:25 AM   #30
Mod free 5er

Quote:
OldCoot,

TeJay
I think his tire is wearing on the outside, thus the spindle is bent down(positive caster), tilting the tire out at the top and putting all the load on the outside edge of the tire.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:31 AM   #31
Site Team

Looking closely at the photo of the bad tire it looks like "feathered" wear
which is excessive toe in.
As bad as that tire looks with only 3k miles on it, you should be able to
see something wrong with simple tools like a stick, plumb bob and tape
measure.

The dealer keeps saying alignment is fine but how can it be fine and wear
a tire that bad that fast?

I'd get a 2nd opinion from a truck alignment shop.

Good luck!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:39 AM   #32
daydreaming about camping

I still think you are not getting a straight story.

I suggest you find a reputable axle shop to look at the problem for a second opinion.

And 500 bucks for the axle alone is not a great deal.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:54 AM   #33

Thanks for all of the postings. I am grateful for the advice and that it is a topic that generated this much attention.

The costs of the new axle includes cost of the part - $80, labor, 2 hours $240, shipping costs - $150, and tax.

I am heading back to the dealer with information provided.
Honda ST1100
BMW R1100R
Linnemj is offline   Reply With Quote