Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2016, 02:05 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Newsoms View Post
Hey, he likes it. He shared the info. If you're not interested just click on something else. I like to see what other people are using. If it's not useful to me, I just keep scrolling, but you never know when that information might come in handy.
XX2
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 02:34 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
...I responded because someone thinks this mod would "save battery life." It won't, so I posted that it won't. I would hate to think someone else would run out and spend $150 thinking it will extend his "battery life" when it won't...
OK, retired electrical engineer speaking.

It takes more power over time to operate a water pump without a tank/accumulator than with, because when the pump starts there's a big current surge and corresponding power usage each time the pump starts.

For usage of, say a day, lack of a tank will pull more power out of batteries and cause more wear on the pump due to the repeated starting cycles.
johnbryanpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 02:35 PM   #23
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Newsoms View Post
Hey, he likes it. He shared the info. If you're not interested just click on something else. I like to see what other people are using. If it's not useful to me, I just keep scrolling, but you never know when that information might come in handy.
The OP did ask for comments. Rockfordroo made some informative comments in post #20. There are a lot of folks on this forum that are new to the RV world, and without a free and open discussion some may take it as the gospel that this in-fact in the "best RV mod evah".

I myself don't want to spend $150 to haul around an extra 60 lbs of tank, plumbing and water to reduce pump noise in the boondocks.
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 02:53 PM   #24

It's interesting to look at the specifications for these tanks. The nominal size is how much water the tank would hold if you removed the bladder. A nominal five gallon tank only holds and is able to deliver a gallon, see, for example, http://s3.supplyhouse.com/product_fi...tion-Guide.pdf.

So let's say a five gallon tank weighs ten pounds and can store and deliver a gallon of water, another 8.3 pounds. Allowing .7 pound for piping and mounting hardware, system weight with max water stored in tank is roughly 20 pounds, half that of the microwave I just tore out...
johnbryanpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 02:54 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbryanpeters View Post
OK, retired electrical engineer speaking.

It takes more power over time to operate a water pump without a tank/accumulator than with, because when the pump starts there's a big current surge and corresponding power usage each time the pump starts.

For usage of, say a day, lack of a tank will pull more power out of batteries and cause more wear on the pump due to the repeated starting cycles.
You're right, I forgot about current surge; However, the surge is very short-lived, and how much effect reducing the # of starts may have on your battery life I would say is negligible.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 03:34 PM   #26

bladder tank

Did this mod on our last four rv's. Only regret is I only have room for a 2 gal size on our new MH. Also note that the tank can be added anywhere in the system on a cold water line. So if you cannot fit it right next to the pump find a place close to a cold water line and tee it in. I always install with a shutoff so if you are working on the plumbing you can shut the pressure tank off so you do not have to bleed the pressure off. You also will need to adjust the air pressure in the tank to match your pump. If there is to much air pressure in the tank, the pump will shut off well before the tank is full. I bought my tank at a home improvement store for around $50 and used an old golf hand cart bag strap and bracket to attach it to the inside of the cabinet. Yes our pump is under the bed. Just turn the pump off when going to bed in case you need to go in the middle of the night. The DW loves this mod.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 05:05 PM   #27

Another positive fact if you had this mod and your battery died you could still flush your toilet a few times. 💩

I hope we all can agree that this is a good thing !🍻

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 12-10-2016, 05:57 PM   #28

Here is a system that can be mounted any way for under $200.

https://accessories.lazydays.com/flo...IQ4aAoHf8P8HAQ

Old 12-10-2016, 06:26 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briorick View Post
I don't find the sound of my water pump annoying. It comes on, makes a slight noise, it shuts off. No one is all the more upset with the sound here.

I am glad this pump mod works for you and your wife, and that you are more than delightfully happy with "no disturbing sounds" when you potty , but .....Hmmm, this is sounding more and more like a pushy sales pitch rather than a "friendly tip". The best we can hope for is to just

I don't see any sales pitch here. He shared a good idea and never offered to sell anything. You can question the merits of the mod but he motivation seems to be wanting to help. Dang people lighten up.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 08:51 PM   #30
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdmtnrider View Post
The Newsoms, X2 I Totally agree with you. IF you like it, Go with it, If Not , don't try to knock those that do. Every one just needs to try and get alone, maybe learn something new and "JUST BE HAPPY!"

x-2
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 08:59 PM   #31

I've got a nice 2 gallon installed on my unit 20 bucks at lowes easy mod . it helps with the pump not coming on every time you use a little water . not a necessity but not a bad mod /upgrade . you do need to make sure you get the psi in the tank set correctly to maximize it's effectiveness .
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:00 PM   #32

pressure tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbryanpeters View Post
It's interesting to look at the specifications for these tanks. The nominal size is how much water the tank would hold if you removed the bladder. A nominal five gallon tank only holds and is able to deliver a gallon, see, for example, http://s3.supplyhouse.com/product_fi...tion-Guide.pdf.

So let's say a five gallon tank weighs ten pounds and can store and deliver a gallon of water, another 8.3 pounds. Allowing .7 pound for piping and mounting hardware, system weight with max water stored in tank is roughly 20 pounds, half that of the microwave I just tore out...
When I installed my 2 gal tank I tested it to see how much water I would get out of it. I let the pump go until it shut off at its upper pressure limit. I turned the pump off. I filled a gallon jug at the faucet and got less than a half gallon of water. I let some of the air pressure off the bladder and repeated the test. I got close to a gallon of water. I let some more air out of the prepressurized bladder and got about one and half gallons. If I let any more air out it decreased the flow from the faucet or shower to a point that was too low. So, for a two gallon tank I was able to get one and half gallons without the pump on. If you use the tank as it comes prepressurized you will get maybe one quater of the tank capacity. This would vary with pumps as some pump at a higher pressure than others. It is easy to adjust the air with a small bike pump if you need to.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:09 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
I've got a nice 2 gallon installed on my unit 20 bucks at lowes easy mod . it helps with the pump not coming on every time you use a little water . not a necessity but not a bad mod /upgrade . you do need to make sure you get the psi in the tank set correctly to maximize it's effectiveness .
X2, and it makes a difference in smoothing out the flow.

9.5 year old FR Cherokee 295 WP 32' toyhauler
2013 Ford F250 SD CC 4X4 4.30 gears
Tuned-- engine, music, and exhaust,
bpadamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:32 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
I don't see any sales pitch here. He shared a good idea and never offered to sell anything. You can question the merits of the mod but he motivation seems to be wanting to help. Dang people lighten up.
I guess you didn't because there wasn't one "up front and center". Some people don't know when they are inadvertently being pitched a sales pitch via persuasive suggestion. My many years in Retail, I simply stated I felt his responses were coming across as "sounding" like a sales pitch, with his responses to another on this posting. No harm done! It's all good. I'm not questioning the validity of the product.

2023 Flagstaff 206STSE
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 10:40 PM   #35
DW's 401(k) Plan

Yep, great mod for boondocking. Also a great mod if you have a sailboat, as my son describes in his blog. I was impressed with his engineering prowess. But, then again, he also made a desalinization unit for his sailboat.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 11:39 PM   #36

Agree!

Only had room for a 2 gallon one in my Rpod 179
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161209_113500.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	381.4 KB
ID:	126485  
sujopodders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 10:42 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrinch View Post
Yep, great mod for boondocking. Also a great mod if you have a sailboat, as my son describes in his blog. I was impressed with his engineering prowess. But, then again, he also made a desalinization unit for his sailboat.
I have read all the posts and the above referenced blog, and I have the following comments:

If you purchase a bladder tank sold for a well based system, then it will be for potable water.

What he calls an Accumulator Tank, I call an Expansion Tank, which we had in a domestic hot water heating system. Its purpose was to maintain pressure in the system. Such a tank would not have to be certified potable. The lack of bladder made repressurising quite a process.

I agree with comments on nasty posts- if ya can't say nothin' nice, don't say nothin' at all.

Pumps can be noisy, and some people cannot get back to sleep once disturbed, so this may be a solution.

Cheers to all, and Merry Christmas
amblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 10:50 AM   #38

Yep, its an accumulator. I have one like this.

https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-555...Wg9RoCsH_w_wcB

Is small, but works well enough.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 11:10 AM   #39

I will keep my comments out of this except to say our last/first RV had a noisy pump...new one not so much. If you ran the pump early in morning(I tend to get up 2-3 hours before others...I'm old I have to) then the pump would wake the dead. If this would help/and I used tank water much...it would be a worthy mod. IMO

born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 11:13 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
I will keep my comments out of this except to say our last/first RV had a noisy pump...new one not so much. If you ran the pump early in morning(I tend to get up 2-3 hours before others...I'm old I have to) then the pump would wake the dead. If this would help/and I used tank water much...it would be a worthy mod. IMO

I agree. But I also point out that if pump noise is the main concern there are much easier and cheaper methods to quiet the pump.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bladder tank, boondocking, camping, dry camping, even flow, less pump activity, water supply