Old 07-03-2014, 04:24 PM   #11

I'll try and swing by the storage this weekend and get a picture of them

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 07-03-2014, 09:18 PM   #12

Thekipkers, you need to send a picture of the valve setup. This make no sense at all. Each tank should dump into the 'main line' where you connect your hose - when dumping, individually. If it ain't that way, someone messed up when it was plumbed. I have 2 gray and a black and I can dump each one individually. What you describe would cause black and gray to mix in both tanks. surely this is not the case.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:51 AM   #13

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1404917358.243232.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	816.7 KB
ID:	57708

Pictures shows the black tank release valve towards the front with the rear grey release valve to the top right.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1404917448.030969.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	854.4 KB
ID:	57709

Close us of grey tank tie in

Old 07-09-2014, 11:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekipkers View Post
Attachment 57708

Pictures shows the black tank release valve towards the front with the rear grey release valve to the top right.

Attachment 57709

This is a very poor setup IMO, you (and dad) are correct in that you have to dump the black tank whenever you want to empty the grey tank, the two liquids will not mix as long as the grey valve stays closed when not dumping (black tank waste will go into your grey tank if the grey valve is open and the black level is higher than the grey level). After the black is emptied then the grey water will equalize into the black tank as it is being drained. Personally I would not leave this setup as is.
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:10 PM   #15

Thekipkers, like Battstoy said, this is a poor setup. It means you can never leave the gray tank valve open while leaving the black valve closed, which is common to do when doing extended stay camping. The black tank dump should be between the black tank and the gray tank dump, so they act individually. I would plumb in a 3" valterra blade valve with remote cable (order the 72" cable and cut as needed) actuation... you need to order the the valve and two flanges, which can be either female or male. I would think 2 female flanges would be best. Note the blade valve comes with the O-rings but not with the flanges... you would cut the 3" pipe twice... cutting out the proper space for the blade valve and flanges... remove enough pipe to allow the valve with flanges to be slipped into the pipe. It isn't easy to add the valve with all the rest of the plumbing in place. I cut out the section of pipe; glue in the flanges, being careful that the bolts line up; pull the flanges apart with ratchet straps (only as much as needed) and carefully slide the blade valve inside the flanges, being careful to not move the O-rings out of place. You could be sure of this by opening the existing 3" valve so you can see down the pipe with a bright flash light. Then, finish the install by bolting the valve into place and running the cable per instructions and mounting the remote handle at a convenient place. I would leave the outside 3" dump valve there... it could act as a backup just in case either of the other valves failed. Of course, before starting drain all the tanks completely.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekipkers View Post
Attachment 57708

Attachment 57709

That's a warranty repair, its not even legal piped like that per Public Health
regs. I wouldn't fool with it. Just for info the gray valve is ALWAYS down stream of black block valves.......
Old 07-11-2014, 07:05 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
That's a warranty repair, its not even legal piped like that per Public Health
regs. I wouldn't fool with it. Just for info the gray valve is ALWAYS down stream of black block valves.......
When I questioned my dealer on my trailer with the same piping he indicated there were very few rules governing these things. Said it would not be a warranty repair as it worked fine, just poorly designed.

He was kind enough to give me a couple pieces of pipe to fix it I bought the valve.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Old 07-11-2014, 07:16 AM   #18

Thanks for all the replies, looks like well have to figure out a new setup up and do some modifying

Old 07-11-2014, 10:45 AM   #19

It may not be worth bothering with in your mind, but I would run this by the public health department in your location/county per VinceU's comment. If your local health rep agrees with VinceU perhaps he/she will talk to your dealer for you.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:46 AM   #20

If you do go with contacting the health department let us know what you find out.

Tags
black, tank