Old 06-29-2014, 08:41 PM   #1

Black/grey tank valve

Hello everyone, I'm posting this up for my dad. He just purchased a new xlr 33' from fun town.

My question is, his grey tank (bathroom) is plumbed into his black tank before the black tank release valve, so every time he has to dump his grey tank after showers and such he has to dump his black tank as well. Is this how all of the xlrs are done?

Also how does the black tank flush connection work?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 06-29-2014, 08:52 PM   #2

I can't address the exact model your asking about. However, we've owned a dozen or so RV's and have NEVER seen a gray water tank plumed to dump into the black water tank. This just doesn't make sense because normally the gray water is dumped 2-3 times before the black water needs it. Something is very strange with this setup!!!Hope you get some owner feed backs on this.
The black tank "spray" is designed to clean out the black tank AFTER it has been dumped. Be sure the black water tank valve is OPEN while rinsing out the black with this spray. Run the spray water until the water exits the discharge hose clear. Caution--IF you leave the black valve closed during this process, you risk filling the black tank and overflowing into the RV.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:54 PM   #3

He, mine is set up the same way as yours. It wasn't a concern for me as we don't generally use the shower as a rule. That grey tank is 30 gallons or so, and if they take a true "Navy" shower 2 or 3 people should be able to get through a 3 day weekend without much issue. The whole thing isn't well thought out in my opinion, but it is functional. I don't think the grey would back fill into the black though, at least I haven't noted that on mine yet.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:16 PM   #4

I have two gray valves and of course, the 3" sewer valve, which I worked on today. You can open up each valve and dump independently. They were positioned awkwardly, but work.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:34 PM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to dhatfield6
I have a 2013 380 AMP which has the 1/2 bath in the garage. In the service compartment are the black & grey tank dump valves. Between the 2nd & 3rd axles on the drivers side is another tank dump valve. This tank is for the half bath sink, the kitchen sink and believe it or not the half bath toilet! But FR has identified the tank on the level indication panel as grey water.

[FONT=Arial]Trips in 2013-(4) Nights Camped-(56) Trips in 2014-(5), Nights Camped-(60)
Trips in 2015-(4) Nights Camped-(44) Trips in 2016-(2) Nights Camped-(17)
dhatfield6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:05 AM   #6

Would almost be smart to have the grey tank empty into the black tank and flush the black tank not just the hose.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:11 AM   #7

Strange setup, if it is the way you say then the two tanks are always equalized level wise, black sewage and grey water are mixing in both tanks. Check and make sure a second valve is not on the black water line between the black tank and the grey tie in line, sometimes the 3 inch black tank drain line will have two valves. If there is no valve there I would add one.
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 03:41 AM   #8

If I understand what you are saying, I had a camper like this. It was not so much the the gray tank was plumbed into the black tank but the pipe after the gray tank release dumped into the main pipe just before the black tank valve so you had open the black tank vavle to dump the gray tank. I ended up buying the item below and replumbing mine.

Old 07-03-2014, 03:29 PM   #9

Yeah sorry for the confusion. The grey tank does not dump into the black tank rather the grey tank line is plumbed into the main dump line prior to the black tank valve. So every time my dad has to dump his grey tank he also has to dump his black tank.

I just wasn't sure if all xlr 29 were like this or it was just a mishap on the one unit.

Old 07-03-2014, 03:49 PM   #10

Can you provide a picture of the valves?

2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, tank