Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2014, 10:53 AM   #1

Black Tank

When checking tank levels on the control panel my black tank is showing 3/4 full even though I am connected to sewer with all valves open when I crawl under the camper and push up on the bottom of the tank it appears to be empty is there a way to reset the light indicator or do I have a hidden issue that I'm not aware of.

Thanks for all suggestions
Edwards_Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:00 AM   #2

Might be stuff stuck to the sensors fill it half full and poor a couple bags of ice down the toilet and take it for a drive the ice will break up and help clean the tank
Chrism28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:28 AM   #3
Always Learning

Firstly, you do NOT want to leave your black tank valves open all of the time. Doing so will allow your pee to run off but will leave the solids (poop and toilet paper) to stay behind. This will build up and turn into a Pyramid of Crappy Doom. Gray valves are safe to leave open.

Secondly, the tank sensors are notorious for being incorrect. A little bit of stuff/slime can give false readings. I personally try to use an abundance of water and my black tank flush to clean up my tank so that it reads clearly.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:40 AM   #4

I have the same issue with my grey water tank. With the valves closed while boon docking i can have 1/2 tank of fresh water left and black tanl 1/3 full but the gray tank will show its 2/3 full. When you do the match on the tank sizes it doesnt add up. When i drain the tanks they all show empty. This issue has been ongoing since i purchased the trailer new.
Prothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:40 AM   #5
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwards_Camping View Post
When checking tank levels on the control panel my black tank is showing 3/4 full even though I am connected to sewer with all valves open when I crawl under the camper and push up on the bottom of the tank it appears to be empty is there a way to reset the light indicator or do I have a hidden issue that I'm not aware of.

Thanks for all suggestions
One of the very first things I was told about the black tank operation was NEVER to leave the valve open. The way to prevent trouble is to let it fill and then there's plenty of oomph to flush the solids. (It helps if you have a clear connecter to the dump pipe so you can see when it stops draining). To keep odors minimal, I always close the black dump valve and then fill the tank again with fresh water. Then I dump that and it's amazing to see what was still left in the tank.
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:13 PM   #6

Thanks for all the recommendations believe it or not the ice trick worked I had to relocate sites about 5 miles apart when I got to the new location black tank shows empty. Go figure
Edwards_Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:01 PM   #7

Ice is a good trick it breaks down all the solids now mix some culagan water softener in a gallon jug of water and poor it down the toilet and leave the black water tank closed until full then dump and do that solution a few times it slickens the tank up to help prevent build up alway leave black tank shut in until full
Chrism28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prothos View Post
I have the same issue with my grey water tank. With the valves closed while boon docking i can have 1/2 tank of fresh water left and black tanl 1/3 full but the gray tank will show its 2/3 full. When you do the match on the tank sizes it doesnt add up. When i drain the tanks they all show empty. This issue has been ongoing since i purchased the trailer new.
Bear in mind not all tanks are created equal. The sensors are intentional lower in waste tanks to prevent the unmentionable "overflow'! Most grey water tanks are low also. Therefore 1/3 isn't always the level, just an indication of fluid in the tank.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 06:22 AM   #9
2014 XLR 27HFS

I had a stinky tank issue and used the ice trick. Loaded the tank with 2 bags of ice and a half jug of dishwashing soap just before leaving on our last weekend outing. Dumped it when we left the campground, and did the same thing on the way home. No more stink!
Old 06-06-2014, 11:18 AM   #10

Some tanks don't leave very often.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 12:19 PM   #11

This is what some folks use, but we to use ice and dish soap as preventative measure.

Whatever method you use, do not play with the blade valves when not 100% certain that the tanks are empty, when "stuff" gets wedged in the blade valve it will create an even bigger issue.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, tank