Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2013, 09:42 AM   #1

Bought an XLR 27HFS last weekend! Now the Questions

Well I broke down and bought a 2013 XLR 27HFS a week ago. Now I have a few questions:

1. Mine didn't come with a ladder, that I have found. What do you guys use/buy? I had the 2 rear electric beds added, and have no way to get up on upper bed.
2. Is there a way to remount the rear beds to get them closer to the roof? Now mine are about 6ft off the floor of the garage at the highest position.
3. When I plug in my satellite to the outside coax, will it distribute the signal to all tv coax within the camper, or just the one in the living room area? If just the living room area is there a way to send it out to all the rest?

That is it for now. I want to say thanks to everyone on here that answered my questions. Attached is a picture, I had already removed the equalizer hitch and just have the trailer hanging on the truck that is why it is sitting so low in the back.
Yler4cy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:21 AM   #2

Be sure to get roof covers for your vents. Not sure on beds. Mine was ordered with only one in the back.
leadhead358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:26 AM   #3
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yler4cy View Post
1. Mine didn't come with a ladder, that I have found. What do you guys use/buy? I had the 2 rear electric beds added, and have no way to get up on upper bed.
There are lots of aftermarket bed ladders available. Which reminds me, I need to get something for our bunkhouse...
Old 04-26-2013, 10:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadhead358 View Post
Be sure to get roof covers for your vents. Not sure on beds. Mine was ordered with only one in the back.
What roof vents need covers?

The ones in the garage and bathroom with built in fans have the crank up covers.
Yler4cy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:46 AM   #5
Always Learning

Quote:
What roof vents need covers?

The ones in the garage and bathroom with built in fans have the crank up covers.
Covers over the covers. Seems obvious, right?

If you put a vent cover over your crank up covers, you can open them up even when it's raining and no rain is supposed to get it (I've never been brave enough to try it!).
Old 04-26-2013, 10:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Covers over the covers. Seems obvious, right?

If you put a vent cover over your crank up covers, you can open them up even when it's raining and no rain is supposed to get it (I've never been brave enough to try it!).
Now I understand what you mean. I am going to have to look into those.

How sturdy is the roof to walk on? I know it doesn't come with a ladder to access the roof, so I was wondering if it is okay to walk on the roof.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
How sturdy is the roof to walk on? I know it doesn't come with a ladder to access the roof, so I was wondering if it is okay to walk on the roof.
That, I have no clue about... I thought the rule of thumb as:
- if it has a ladder, it's safe to walk on the roof
- if it doesn't, the roof isn't designed for it

BUT- I'm guessing with that and hopefully someone else will come along and chime in.

I know that when most RVs are built - there are all sorts of workers walking around installing and building.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:57 PM   #8

everything i have read indicates the roof is fine to walk on, but it's not designed for multiple people. Will want to get up there every 6 months to spray some roof treatment
Mine came with a ladder to get to the 2nd bunk.
Actually removing the lower bunk if anyone wants one for cheap (see classifieds)
Hoping the signal gets distributed to all 3 jacks, will find out soon as well.

all new to me as well, just what i have read as like you, i just bought an xlr27hfs too!
melk-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:30 PM   #9

Melk-man what type of roof treatment do you use every 6 months?
Thanks,
Kathy
kathys85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathys85 View Post
Melk-man what type of roof treatment do you use every 6 months?
Thanks,
Kathy

i will let ya know in a few months i just got mine, and the seller took delivery brand new in Jan 2013. Hopefully someone with some experience will post the info. I have a bottle of some stuff the seller gave me, i will take a photo of it this weekend.
melk-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:46 PM   #11

If your 27hfs is wired the same as mine. The satellite will not work using the outside jack next to the water hook-up. That jack is for cable tv hook up. When you are at a site that has cable tv you hook up to that jack and make sure the power buttom, (on the jack in the living room) is off. The signal will be distributed to the other two jacks in the bedroom and garage. If you are using the roof mounted antenna then you push the power button on to get tv reception.

I have read a thread on this forum that describes the difference between cable tv and the satellite hook-up. If I remember correctly cable is just a signal in and satellite sends power to the dish and receives a signal. I remember the thread had instructions on how to modify the wall plate in the living room so that all three would work. If I remember right "herk" posted pictures of the modification.

I run the satellite cable in a window to the receiver which is on the shelf at the end of the bed. Then run a cable from the receiver to the wall jack in the bedroom. That gives signal at the other two jacks.

I have not been on the roof yet. I am a little afraid to try it. I am 300lbs.

Nights Camped 2012 (7) 2013 (33) 2014 (27) 2015 (34) 2016 (27) 2017 (32) 2018 (34) 2019 (35) 2020 (20) 2021 (5)
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:55 PM   #12

Thanks. We have had our 2012 a little over a year and haven't really done anything to the roof but wash it with rv wash. I now hear that laundry soap is the best to wash the roof. I guess I should also start thinking if some other treatment for the roof. I will do some more research.
kathys85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:39 PM   #13
10x

You can flip the L-bracket for the 2nd bed upside down. It will give you another 3-4 inches of clearance under it.
10x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:02 PM   #14

Just keeping your roof clean will extend the life of the roof.

Here is an excerpt from Dicor (the maker of rubber RV roofs):
https://dicorproducts.com/faq/#special-materials
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:44 AM   #15

Quote:
Well I broke down and bought a 2013 XLR 27HFS a week ago. Now I have a few questions:

2. Is there a way to remount the rear beds to get them closer to the roof? Now mine are about 6ft off the floor of the garage at the highest position.
3. When I plug in my satellite to the outside coax, will it distribute the signal to all tv coax within the camper, or just the one in the living room area? If just the living room area is there a way to send it out to all the rest?

That is it for now. I want to say thanks to everyone on here that answered my questions. Attached is a picture, I had already removed the equalizer hitch and just have the trailer hanging on the truck that is why it is sitting so low in the back.
You have any mods done to your silverado? I pull the same camper with my 08 1500 and have a Edge power programmer on it for a little help towing.
FunTimes27XLR is offline   Reply With Quote