Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2014, 12:22 PM   #1
Sunseeker 2500TS

Unhappy Build Quality

Just bought a XLR Hyper Lite 29HFS and after 4 weeks of use it continues to fall apart. Every trip a cabnet door will open and the 1/8 inch long hige screws pull out. I find "spare screws" everywhere and later find where they fell out of. Screws started to pull out on the tie downs and I got some grade 8 bolts. I wrapped several wires that would have rubed through and caused a short. Rust is already showing on the frame through the paint. Side door latches spun on the screws and I spent time getting them open and lock tighting them back in position. And the list goes on.

Any fixes for the cabnets? Better latches? I love the look of the vehicle but hate fixing things every 5 minutes. Is there someone at Forest River I can call and complain to? Nothing will happen but I would feel better.
rocrider50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:29 PM   #2
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

The root problem is overtightening the screws during installation, they strip the very very soft wood like cabinet substance the cabinets are made from. I found the following very successful:

unscrew the fixture, put one (and I mean one) drop of gorrila glue into the offending hole, wait 4-5 minutes, then screw it back in. use Duct tape to hold the cabinet door in place for about an hour and the screw how has something to hold into.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:48 PM   #3

We are beginning to hear that there are quality issues with the new units coming off the line. I think they just cannot build the units fast enough and the quality is being harmed.

Your not the first poster to mention this.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:20 PM   #4
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

I've written in several other posts, I'm the North American Quality Assurance Director for a major company and these quality issues need to be brought to the attention of the manufacturing Quality / Sales departments. Going through the dealer is not the best option as they don't build the trailers, and their job is to sell what is delivered. All the warranty issues everyone has are post-delivery problems which are "built-in" costs and so causes the manufacturer no financial pain.
Google Forest River, Elkhart, IN and you'll find a couple of phone #s. call them and ask to speak to the Quality Assurance Manager and register your dissatisfaction.
It's not until everyone who has quality issues gets involved in communicating, rather than just fixing it myself that things will change.
As I've said before: If we accept poor quality, then that's exactly what the manufacturer will deliver.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:52 PM   #5
Infractee

Indeed, they need some QMS training certs and a few BSI audits to help get their act together...
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:55 PM   #6
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
We are beginning to hear that there are quality issues with the new units coming off the line. I think they just cannot build the units fast enough and the quality is being harmed.

Your not the first poster to mention this.
Beginning to hear? This has been blatantly going on since Hurricane Katrina IMO. When they started mass producing those FEMA trailers to ZERO standards is when I feel the industry took a quality nosedive that they have never pulled out of.
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:32 PM   #7

No body cares

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxcamper View Post
I've written in several other posts, I'm the North American Quality Assurance Director for a major company and these quality issues need to be brought to the attention of the manufacturing Quality / Sales departments. Going through the dealer is not the best option as they don't build the trailers, and their job is to sell what is delivered. All the warranty issues everyone has are post-delivery problems which are "built-in" costs and so causes the manufacturer no financial pain.
Google Forest River, Elkhart, IN and you'll find a couple of phone #s. call them and ask to speak to the Quality Assurance Manager and register your dissatisfaction.
It's not until everyone who has quality issues gets involved in communicating, rather than just fixing it myself that things will change.
As I've said before: If we accept poor quality, then that's exactly what the manufacturer will deliver.
After my second round of problems I sent an e-mail to Bryan Stevens @BStevens@forestriverinc.com. He is the XLR GM, never heard a word. They have our money and don't care.
gmflanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmflanigan View Post
After my second round of problems I sent an e-mail to Bryan Stevens @BStevens@forestriverinc.com. He is the XLR GM, never heard a word. They have our money and don't care.

Does anyone know if this guy is still the GM for XLR? Is he considered the Plant Manager? Because we sent a long list of issues we have with the 2015 we just purchased. Quality Control and Craftsmanship is an issue; and relating back to the guy who had screws falling out; we have screws stripped where the Cargo Lights were installed in the fiberglass, and consequently while traveling in the rain had a MAJOR water leak, with major damage to the front wall, including the growth of black mold; which tells me that water has leaker here previously. We can't use the trailer because my husband is severely allergic. The Warranty Dept. is assisting us, and seems to be on top of it; we'll see because we just sent them all of our concerns yesterday. I was just wondering if this guy Bryan Stevens, is the Plant Manager for XLR? And if they will actually respond to our concerns. I know the water leak is a warranty issue......but the other issues we brought to their attention, well, we will see how they respond.

I agree with Oxcamper, if we don't bring these issues to their attention.....then its irresponsible on our part; and the Plant Manager doesn't know what the quality of their product "really" is after it leaves the Plant. Bottom line is we are the end user, and we have control over how we market their product to our peers. Seem to me a big name like Forest River would be concerned about that....maybe I'm wrong, but I hope not!!

We personally meet hundreds of people on the road, and in ATV parks because we trail ride.....we either give them a thumbs up, or we don't.

Just my two cents.......rant over !!
Duramax Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxcamper View Post
The root problem is overtightening the screws during installation, they strip the very very soft wood like cabinet substance the cabinets are made from. I found the following very successful:

unscrew the fixture, put one (and I mean one) drop of gorrila glue into the offending hole, wait 4-5 minutes, then screw it back in. use Duct tape to hold the cabinet door in place for about an hour and the screw how has something to hold into.
Alternately, you could break off a couple of tooth picks in the hole and put the screw back in.
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 02:34 PM   #10

Or jam some steel wool in the hole the screw into that.
breezyhillfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 03:21 PM   #11

I prefer drilling threw and using a stainless bolt ,nylon locknut and backing plate or big washer just snug up good and check in a few weeks never had one come back out even after smacking my big head on it.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:53 PM   #12
XLR Production

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramax Girl View Post
Does anyone know if this guy is still the GM for XLR? Is he considered the Plant Manager? Because we sent a long list of issues we have with the 2015 we just purchased. Quality Control and Craftsmanship is an issue; and relating back to the guy who had screws falling out; we have screws stripped where the Cargo Lights were installed in the fiberglass, and consequently while traveling in the rain had a MAJOR water leak, with major damage to the front wall, including the growth of black mold; which tells me that water has leaker here previously. We can't use the trailer because my husband is severely allergic. The Warranty Dept. is assisting us, and seems to be on top of it; we'll see because we just sent them all of our concerns yesterday. I was just wondering if this guy Bryan Stevens, is the Plant Manager for XLR? And if they will actually respond to our concerns. I know the water leak is a warranty issue......but the other issues we brought to their attention, well, we will see how they respond.

I agree with Oxcamper, if we don't bring these issues to their attention.....then its irresponsible on our part; and the Plant Manager doesn't know what the quality of their product "really" is after it leaves the Plant. Bottom line is we are the end user, and we have control over how we market their product to our peers. Seem to me a big name like Forest River would be concerned about that....maybe I'm wrong, but I hope not!!

We personally meet hundreds of people on the road, and in ATV parks because we trail ride.....we either give them a thumbs up, or we don't.

Just my two cents.......rant over !!

I can assure you that FR is concerned about your issue. XLR has not grown today by not taking care of it's customers. I myself read your letter and am working with the warranty department to resolve your issues. You should (if you have not already) be receiving a phone call from Diane.
bulletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:52 PM   #13

Yea Bob!
Old 01-27-2015, 10:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezyhillfarm View Post
Yea Bob!
Right?! This kind of response will pay off tenfold as potential buyers see it unfold on the forums. The best part is Bob is here voluntarily and doing this out of the goodness of his heart. People like that make a company.
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:04 PM   #15

So true. We're on our third FR. There is a reason.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbob View Post
I can assure you that FR is concerned about your issue. XLR has not grown today by not taking care of it's customers. I myself read your letter and am working with the warranty department to resolve your issues. You should (if you have not already) be receiving a phone call from Diane.
Bob,

Hats off to you sir! It is not easy to do what you are doing, and although I am an RVer with little to no issues, I do feel the industry is plagued by a large problem here with poor PDIs by the dealer. Much of this I feel they should have caught and reported to you through proper channels, not the customer.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:12 PM   #17
Site Team

Way to go Bob

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 02:41 AM   #18

Thumbs up

Thank you Bob for taking the time to respond and offer your expertise.

Nights Camped 2012 (7) 2013 (33) 2014 (27) 2015 (34) 2016 (27) 2017 (32) 2018 (34) 2019 (35) 2020 (20) 2021 (5)
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:31 PM   #19

Bob is the man! He helped me and made it more than worth my time to let the factory fix my issues. I'm positive he will take care of you.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
STLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 06:09 PM   #20

Hello all! My wife and I have had ours for about 6 months now and we use it a good bit! When we picked it up we found some issues,
screws coming out of bedroom door hanger
shower door handles fell off (both sides)
light switches controlling the wrong lights
Thermostat in garage out of range
Awning on the back leaking between camper and awning
Cabinet handle making marks in the refrigerator doors when slide is in
LCI remote not setup correctly, awnings working in reverse
Outside bottom panels has stains that will not wash off
Front awning badly wrinkled and out of alignment (will not retract fully without help)
Will not except fuel in both tanks
Bedroom slide has fault code about motor, (will not work unless you do a override)

This is what we have seen so far! LET ME MAKE THIS CLEAR! WE LOVE OUR XLR 415amp!

I really want to tell people that are looking to buy one that everything has been "Top Quality" but I have not been totally convinced yet. I would love to tell folks that if you have a problem that the dealers will take care of you but I can't yet and here why, I have taken my unit to the dealer, and pointed out all of the issues. They have taken care of most of the items except for a few issues like smudges on the bottom portion that will not come off. Awning anchor screw left out and now awning is stretched. He said that FR denied the claim!

My wife is MAD and I have a empty wallet, and I don't know who to call.

I see that someone said to look on the FR site for phone numbers so I will try this.

Donnie
Donnieburnett2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality