Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2015, 06:07 PM   #1

cable does not work in camper

2016 XLR 29HFS cable from park is active however when hooked to trailer none of my TV's inside( 3 separate rooms)can get a cable signal. Get air signals through antenna fine. Tried using satellite jack but nothing there either ( just in case it was wired backwards) Can anyone offer any suggestions.
habdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 06:24 PM   #2
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Turn ant amplifier off, set tv to cable...or,.take a 50' cable, screw onto outside cable connection, take other end into trailer....take ohm meter to tv connection at amp..center conductor... and same to cable to make sure the outside cable is hooked up right...possible connections on back of wall plate wrong.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 06:45 PM   #3

If you're working the amplifier switch correctly (off/light off for cable) its possible the outside connection is bad. On my old TT, the outside SAT connection was shorted (one of the braid wires was folded over shorting to the center conductor in the haste with which that connection was made during production).

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 06:57 PM   #4
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
That condition can also be checked by using the 50' coax and ohm meter between outer screw on connector and center conductor.....you'd just be bring'n the outside connection inside to make check'n easier, thru the cable ....no ohm read'n between outer and inner conductor...confused?
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 07:32 PM   #5

I will try that. Only have light on bedroom plate. Bedroom has two jacks one for cable/ant and one for sat. and the on off switch other 3 locations are single jacks presumable for cable/ant.
Will have to get camper out of storage to try all these suggestions.
habdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 12:25 AM   #6

There should be only one plate with the pushbutton because the switch actually turns on a power injector that puts 12 volts on the cable to power a signal amplifier in the rooftop antenna. The switch also disconnects from the exterior cable jack so it would seem wasteful and overly complicated to have more than one of them. I have three jack plates... one near the entertainment center where the outside wall plugs are also located (this is the only one with a switch or light), another in the bedroom (with one SAT connection and another for whatever is selected by the switch) and a third in the basement for an outside TV (same plate config as in the bedroom). I don't think you're ever expected (or permitted to) use cable and antenna at the same time.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by habdave View Post
2016 XLR 29HFS cable from park is active however when hooked to trailer none of my TV's inside( 3 separate rooms)can get a cable signal. Get air signals through antenna fine. Tried using satellite jack but nothing there either ( just in case it was wired backwards) Can anyone offer any suggestions.
HD, Our trailers should be just alike, but not sure if colors match. CG cable comes to the "booster" outlet on a black coax. Lets call it a booster, not amplifier - the booster on the antenna, this is just the switch and power supply for it. The antenna coax is orange and "other" outlets on a gray coax, which actually feeds a splitter, then on to the other outlets (bedroom and toy bay).

The satellite coax only comes into that one outlet and stops (ready to add your receiver there.

Others have correctly stated this: You can't have multiple boosters, but when the booster button is depressed the light comes on and antenna is switched to the all television outlets; when it is not depressed the light is not on and CG cable is switched to all outlets.

You have to have a good OTA signal and have to option your TV(s) for the correct input. I select TV for antenna or cable on mine. To get sat. to TV, I feed that one TV via HDMI. Getting HDMI to multiple TVs is for another discussion.

If this doesn't help, remove the booster outlet and look at the cables on it. I have seen on the forum (can't remember who) the other sets (gray cable) wasn't connected to anything. The splitter, BTW is in the ceiling at the booster outlet and can be pulled out of the ceiling for maintenance.

I can't post a pic, but here's a link that might be helpful, if I can post it.

FTLS - Broadcast/Cable TV

WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper