Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2015, 07:58 AM   #21

The translucent tanks are expensive not to mention there could be a problem refilling since there was a recall on one brand. (Lite Cylinder Co) If you have another brand you might want a copy of the recall to show.

I'm going to try my IR gun to see if I can find the level. I suppose pouring (as someone suggested) hot water down the side, then use the gun is the way to go. Without the hot water the temperature difference around the liquid level would be progressive or spread out.

With the water, heat would be absorbed quickly by the liquid and not so quickly by the vapor portion... then shooting the gun at various points up and down the cylinder to find where the temperature is lower. I'm going to try that now. I think the water needs to be near boiling.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:27 PM   #22

Sir, I think a lot of your calculations are interesting and thought provoking. ... I think that, as one person put it, there are way too many variables to even remotely come close to guessing how much propane any particular family and camper might use.
I do think the new Viking composite propane tanks that do offer campers the abilty to visually check the level fixes the age old question of how much propane do I have available..... To some a relatively small cost for such a feature.
Cow Bell
2010 Star Motorcycle Stratoliner Deluxe
chpence1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane