Old 07-18-2016, 06:32 AM   #21
Georgia Frog Rally 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilday4 View Post
We too just spent a week in Sevierville TN at Ripplin' Waters campground before the 4th of July holiday. It is located on Hwy 66 south of US 40. It's a small family run rv park with a nice pool, clean bath houses, laundry facilities, free wifi, and a camp store. They offer 30 & 50 amp service with back-in and pull thru sites. We had a 30 amp back-in river site with full hookups for $36/night. Stay 6 nights and the 7th is free. They offer cable tv hookups but we found good reception with our antenna and channels more suited to our taste.
We stayed there first part of June and just heating up. Very nice as said Glade we had shade. The pigeon river also flowed by the cg ground with fishing allowed. Later RJD

2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2016 58
Days camped so far 2017 15
Days booked so far in 2017 37
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 03:08 PM   #22

Quote:
WW is right about Anchors Down RV Resort. Some friends that were with us this year stayed there last year and claimed it is very nice. It's also a fairly new park with lots of amenities. We strolled through on the motorcycles one day to get a good view. Hardly any shade trees so make sure your a/c units are up to the task of running hard in hot weather. The week we were there it was hot n humid with temps in the low 90's.
My last day staying at Douglas Headwater CG, I rode down to Greenbrier via CR-216 ... almost down to 321.

So, down 216 you will ride along the Pigeon River, which in my opinion, is one of the prettiest roads I have seen. And, I nearly rode my butt of in these last 6 weeks... but the point of my musing is that on 216 near 321 is a CG called Greenbrier Campground, which is under new management. The Pigeon splits around the CG, so its an island with many river sites as well as incredible shade trees. Prices start at $49 (didn't check about discounts) and a little more for river front. Friendly and well informed staff. Lord willing and the creek don't rise, I'll be back.
WW

A Modder's work is never done!
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 03:24 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
Douglas Lake, Sevierville TN is an excellent TVA campground. I'm on the lake, for $20/night w/Golden Age pass - regular $27. I have 30A without sewer but 50A is available. I would like to stay here as a host / workamper sometime. It is anout 20 minutes to all the Pigeon Forge tourist attractions.

In my travels here I encountered what has to be the nicest high end camping resort I've seen - called Anchors Down; located also on Douglas Lake on Highway 139... probably considered Dandridge TN. A very old and nice TN town.

Also, many would not know it but you can find privately owned RV resorts / parks. I paid $375/month for a nice site w/full hookups. There are owners who rent per night in the same park; for around $20; Paradise Valley CG is right off if US129 a short drive to the best motorcycling roads in the state and about 10 miles to Helen for those that like a tourist trap. Paradise Valley Campground, Georgia Mountains
WW
We will be staying at Anchors Down Starting Sunday afternoon. We are going down there instead of Sturgis this year so I will make note of all the routes you suggest for riding.
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum fifth wheel hitch V2
Nights camped 2016-43
Nights camped 2017-2....so far
Electra glide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 03:50 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra glide View Post
We will be staying at Anchors Down Starting Sunday afternoon. We are going down there instead of Sturgis this year so I will make note of all the routes you suggest for riding.
In the Sevierville area one ride for sure is over to Townsend and down to Cades Cove and the famous loop. There is a really nice spot just before you take the right (on 168) towards Cades cove. If you do this, get there very early or you could getting stuck behind inconsiderate people ... even 11 miles can be frustrating. A park volunteer had to get out of her car and run up to the front to get a woman in a minivan to move over. She had 20 cars anxiously waiting behind her (one motorcycle moving up 10 feet at a time and getting really hot!!!)... she also let a small child sit up on the passenger window sill the whole way.

If you ride through Sevierville or Gatlinburg do it before the tourists hit the road or late. I rode late a couple of times to beat the heat and it was lovely. But, you have to watch people driving into your lane... very common around there.

Before Douglas Lake, I stayed near Cleveland GA for a month and did most of my riding at that time.

I will get the info on some of the nicer rides; and pass along... its in the camper.
WW

Old 07-18-2016, 09:27 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra glide View Post

Here's a pic of the free riding map I found at various locations while we were there. You have to look as these are not with all the other tourist type material. Usually they are off to the side on window sills or that sort of area. They offer predetermined color coded loops of various mileage and time durations. It helps to plan your day and utilize available time. The pics are not the best but It will give an idea of what to look for. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1468895137.048531.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	114604Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1468895179.328078.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	114605

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Kilday4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 05:44 AM   #26

Thanks! Work internet won't let me go to that site so I'll check it out at home and see if they have one online I can print out. If not I'll certainly look for it at the campground or any other place we stop while there.

The Sturgis rally always has a nice map with routes, times, and level of difficulty so we are used to using them.
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum fifth wheel hitch V2
Nights camped 2016-43
Nights camped 2017-2....so far
Electra glide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 06:07 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
Douglas Lake, Sevierville TN is an excellent TVA campground. I'm on the lake, for $20/night w/Golden Age pass - regular $27. I have 30A without sewer but 50A is available. I would like to stay here as a host / workamper sometime. It is anout 20 minutes to all the Pigeon Forge tourist attractions.

In my travels here I encountered what has to be the nicest high end camping resort I've seen - called Anchors Down; located also on Douglas Lake on Highway 139... probably considered Dandridge TN. A very old and nice TN town.

Also, many would not know it but you can find privately owned RV resorts / parks. I paid $375/month for a nice site w/full hookups. There are owners who rent per night in the same park; for around $20; Paradise Valley CG is right off if US129 a short drive to the best motorcycling roads in the state and about 10 miles to Helen for those that like a tourist trap. Paradise Valley Campground, Georgia Mountains
WW
I have stayed at Douglas Dam TVA 3 or 4 years ago you are correct. Just wanted to ask if the TVA changed there policy yet? They use to make you leave your space every 30 days, but alot of locals had a book and would just switch sites that satisfied the requirement. One guy was in charge and had about 12 campers in the group, they were just about all the water front sites, I was below the Dam.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 12:44 PM   #28

Quote:
Here's a pic of the free riding map I found at various locations while we were there. You have to look as these are not with all the other tourist type material. Usually they are off to the side on window sills or that sort of area. They offer predetermined color coded loops of various mileage and time durations. It helps to plan your day and utilize available time. The pics are not the best but It will give an idea of what to look for. Attachment 114604Attachment 114605

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
This is one of the maps that I used to do some planning, but you will miss some better roads as it routes you past the advertisers on that map. Using a state map with this one greatly improves the odds of finding the best roads.

Try this site for planning.
Find Motorcyle Roads, Trips and Events in Georgia, USA | Georgia Motorcycle Roads and Rides | MotorcycleRoads.com

You should ride down to Suches where you cannot pick a bad road to ride, other than if you hit Helen during a bad time.. almost anytime is bad as far as traffic there, but all the rest is very good ... make sure you ride Richard Russell Parkway (348). US129 across Blood Mountain is nice as is 180 from one end to the other; at motorcycle pit stop disguised as a gas station in Suches you can pick up a nice motorcycle map of the area made by a motorcyclist. I used this map a lot. And, its usable like it is. Another nice road is 60.

Of course the mandatory Tellico Plains to Robbinsville NC via the Cherahola Skyway and the Tail of the Dragon. Robbinsville is a good place to stay the night. MY favorite road is NC 28 whose southern terminus is in GA.
WW

Old 07-19-2016, 12:49 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
I have stayed at Douglas Dam TVA 3 or 4 years ago you are correct. Just wanted to ask if the TVA changed there policy yet? They use to make you leave your space every 30 days, but alot of locals had a book and would just switch sites that satisfied the requirement. One guy was in charge and had about 12 campers in the group, they were just about all the water front sites, I was below the Dam.
You can stay 21 days then have to leave for 3 days (i think), but you can't switch sites or even go between Headwater CG and Tailwater CG for those 3 days. I stayed on site 53. Beautiful view of the lake and dam and private walk down to the lake. Drawback is distance to the comfort station if you use it. This site has a very shade in the afternoon. Some sites don't have a lot of shade, but many do.
WW

Tags
mpg