Old 05-21-2015, 11:34 AM   #1
CUZISA2

Camping choices

Since we are newbies I'm looking at Good Sam, KOA and RV Buddy apps to try and locate places to camp. I am concerned about my 40 ft 5th wheel and some of the campgrounds. Is it always best to just call each campground and check on their roads and sites? Also, we are going to Land Between the Lakes after Memorial Day. Any suggestions for the area? We could go down to Tennessee if there is something nice at the bottom of the Lakes.

Old 05-21-2015, 01:54 PM   #2

I always call when reserving. They have seen everything and can advise or confirm you'll be okay.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:00 PM   #3

I usually ask how big their pads are and let them know I have a 36 1/2' 5er. Also some websites will show a map of the park layout with pad sizes.
2006 Polaris H.O. 500EFI Sportsman
1996 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail
jlbreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 02:33 PM   #4

Most campgrounds can accommodate a 40' trailer, even the older ones. Ask when you make reservations where you will park tow vehicle. We've come across a few places that require you to park "away" from your space. Also, if you have slides ask about the width of the site as well. I've found most KOAs to be clean, neat and friendly plus the sites are basically level. Best sites have a concrete pad for your site but usually cost more.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 05-21-2015, 02:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmalm View Post
Since we are newbies I'm looking at Good Sam, KOA and RV Buddy apps to try and locate places to camp. I am concerned about my 40 ft 5th wheel and some of the campgrounds. Is it always best to just call each campground and check on their roads and sites? Also, we are going to Land Between the Lakes after Memorial Day. Any suggestions for the area? We could go down to Tennessee if there is something nice at the bottom of the Lakes.
First, welcome to the forums!!

Second, I am absolutely addicted to the Allstays Camp & RV App. They update it frequently and post info on big rig friendliness. (Having said this, I would still call )

Also, take a look into a Passport America membership - most of us who have joined make our membership fee back in the first 2-3 nights. In fact, we were so delighted, we became lifetime members
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 03:27 PM   #6
CUZISA2

Thank you all! I will check out Passport. I received a brochure but hadn't looked into yet. I'll down load the app too. They are usually pretty easy to use if you find a good one.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:59 PM   #7

yep, call first just to be sure. One other thing I always check for or at least ask is if the site has trees or not. We have parked at some nice long sites but they have tree branches that overhang onto the site. I'm finding that with these larger 5'rs you really need to look up more often. I'm very attentive on the roads and at gas stations for clearance issues but sometimes forget to really double check when pulling into the rv camp sites.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:28 PM   #8
CUZISA2

I have noticed some of the camp grounds have power poles or trees in the way. We'll have to be sure to always ask.

Tags
camping