Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2016, 09:35 PM   #1

Can I Buy A Fuel Nozzle/Pump For My XLR 27HFS?

I just bought a 2013 XLR 27HFS from RV Wholesalers and they assured me twice that the underbelly was enclosed and insulated along with it having a fuel pump and nozzle. Well it just arrived tonight and the underbelly is not enclosed and obviously not insulated and there is not a fuel nozzle. It has a fuel tank and gauge, just not a nozzle.

Is this something I can order? It seems they have a nice door for the fuel nozzle to go into. I have the wires there just no pump or nozzle. Any info on the topic is appreciated.
Crop Duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:50 PM   #2

The factory nozzle would have been a FillRite. You can buy them or their main competition, Husky, on Amazon. I would go with a step better than the factory one if I was to buy mine. Like this: http://www.amazon.com/Husky-159404N-...ky+fuel+nozzle

While you're at it, add the swivel. http://www.amazon.com/Husky-000350-F...nozzle+swivels

I added the swivel to my factory nozzle. Huge improvement in movement.

Need more to your story though. Why no nozzle from the get go? I assume since it's 3-4 model years old, it's a used unit but did someone remove the OE equipment?
Karl4Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 10:34 PM   #3

Do you have written documentation from RV Wholesalers stating that the unit had a nozzle and pump. If so I would go after them to supply you with the items needed.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 11:44 PM   #4

I cant understand how it could have been built with a tank,fill,and gauge,but no pump,hose,swivel,and nozzel. I would bet if you get under it there will be a place where the pump WAS on the crossmember under the tank,and the retention attachments were taken off. I think your trailer was a victim of piracy!
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:02 AM   #5

It's a 3 year-old used unit so you have to make certain the dealer brings it back-up to tip-top shape before you drive it off the lot...

We bought our used TT (our 1st RV ever) from a local dealer for the same price as Craigslist & eBay listings. However, I spent 2 hours inspecting it (during heavy rains) making a list (of mostly minor things) the dealer needed to address before I would sign papers. The dealer included a free Equalizer 4 WDH, free pressurized leak test & re-caulking, $100 store credit, and a 2.5 hour PDI. During the PDI we tested EVERYTHING and made sure everything that was supposed to be included with the TT was with the TT... They adjusted all slide-outs and the awning, replaced the CO2 detector, installed a new battery, etc. We insisted they allow us to videotape the PDI for future reference which also served the purpose of making sure they were honest with us.

Although we drove our used TT off the lot without a warranty, we have enjoyed 2 summers of camping without any serious issues (not caused by me...).
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:47 AM   #6

From photos I've seen of ones that have the pump it looks like the skirting around the edge would have been cut out to accommodate the box for the hose and nozzle to reside. This one does not have the box there and the skirting is in tact meaning it's never had anything installed there. I was thinking the same though, I couldn't believe it had a tank but no nozzle or pump. Can anyone post pics of how the pump is mounted underneath? I'll have to build a box for everything to sit in and cut the skirt and put a door on it like the factory unit.

I'll be taking it up in the morning with RV Wholesalers. They would not add anything to the paperwork when I asked them put in writing that the underbelly was enclosed and insulated. I have numerous text messages telling me it is so I'll see what they say. I have a feeling they'll tell me to screw off and I bought it ''as is''. They were not very easy to deal with on the used unit (consignment) but wanted to sell me the new one and would do anything to get that off the lot.
Crop Duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 07:26 AM   #7

The pump actually mounts inside the box on one end. The rest of the box houses the hose and nozzle. If you called XLR's parts department you could buy the exact components to fit your rig without worrying about fabrication conflicts. I'd start there if you want to make it easy. Just have your VIN ready and they can look up how your unit was built and what's required to complete the system...
Old 01-18-2016, 07:37 AM   #8

Here is a picture of where the pump is mounted on my Thunderbolt.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1453120628.870704.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	97989

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 01-18-2016, 08:51 AM   #9

Your right HB. I was thinking of my Road Warrior that had a bigger box with the pump inside at the front end.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:00 AM   #10

If you zoom in on the photo you will see the discharge hose is kinked on the left side.
I wish they would have added a fitting to prevent this .

You may want to install the pump different to prevent this from happening.

Old 01-18-2016, 12:01 PM   #11

That's a very common problem HB. Are you going to put a 90 in your hose to eliminate it? Seems it would be an easy fix to those that have the issue.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat View Post
That's a very common problem HB. Are you going to put a 90 in your hose to eliminate it? Seems it would be an easy fix to those that have the issue.

Plan on doing a fix once the temperatures get warmer. This is a great feature to have and has saved me a few times when needing more fuel for the generator.

Old 01-18-2016, 01:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
Plan on doing a fix once the temperatures get warmer. This is a great feature to have and has saved me a few times when needing more fuel for the generator.

LOL. While you're working on it, add the swivel to your nozzle. It makes using it much more agreeable.
Old 01-18-2016, 02:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbomax View Post
I cant understand how it could have been built with a tank,fill,and gauge,but no pump,hose,swivel,and nozzel. I would bet if you get under it there will be a place where the pump WAS on the crossmember under the tank,and the retention attachments were taken off. I think your trailer was a victim of piracy!
I have a 15' with the fuel tank, fill, and gauge with no pump or hose. I ordered it that way because I did not want the fuel station. Ours is setup to supply fuel for the onboard generator.
Kilday4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 07:50 PM   #15

Not to steal the thread, but I have a 24fqsl NITRO and when I try to add fuel to the tank, the fill hose is so horizontal to the tank gas runs out and all over the skirting. I don't know or see any fix for this.
Any Suggestions?
hdmtnrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 07:56 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdmtnrider View Post
Not to steal the thread, but I have a 24fqsl NITRO and when I try to add fuel to the tank, the fill hose is so horizontal to the tank gas runs out and all over the skirting. I don't know or see any fix for this.
Any Suggestions?

I use a transmission funnel or a gas can with a narrow spout and jam it down as far as possible.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:57 AM   #17

Just so you know, the back portion of the XLR (under the garage) is not allowed by law to be insulated because there is fuel in a tank there. So not sure what you mean by not having an insulated underbelly. Surely the part under the living areas is insulated and covered, right?
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 01:03 PM   #18

I will be following this thread. We bought a 2014 27HFS last year (new leftover) and it also has the tank & gauge but no pump. They did come from the factory this way. I have been wanting to add a pump & hose to mine but not sure where to purchase or how to install the compartment for the hose.
-2012 Harley Davidson Street Glide (his)
-2004 Harley Davidson Fatboy (hers)
RVBikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 01:09 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOODMAN View Post
Just so you know, the back portion of the XLR (under the garage) is not allowed by law to be insulated because there is fuel in a tank there. So not sure what you mean by not having an insulated underbelly. Surely the part under the living areas is insulated and covered, right?
Could be insulated but not covered. We have never had a camper with an enclosed (covered) underbelly which would be my preference.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 01:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVBikers View Post
I will be following this thread. We bought a 2014 27HFS last year (new leftover) and it also has the tank & gauge but no pump. They did come from the factory this way. I have been wanting to add a pump & hose to mine but not sure where to purchase or how to install the compartment for the hose.
You might try a place like tractor supply.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, xlr