Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2016, 04:42 PM   #1

CO2/LP alarm going off

The CO2/LP alarm started going off in my 2016 XLR 29HFS (Safe-T-Alert brand). Initially, it continued to stay red and go off after hitting the test button. I opened all the doors and some windows, hit the test button, and it went green and stopped going off. I've shut the TH back up and am waiting to see if it goes off again.

TH hasn't been used since May 10, and the propane tanks were turned off. Since then it's been sitting shut up disconnected from shore power. I just plugged it into shore power last night, as the battery was dead and we're planning to use it this weekend.

If the propane is turned off and its hasn't been used for two weeks, what would cause the alarm to go off? The last two days have been our warmest days of the year so far - could that have something to do with it? The lights are not flashing red then green, which according to the face of the detectors is what happens when the battery is low. Of course, the CO2 detector manual is the only one that wasn't included in my owner's package. We just bought the TH brand new (had to wait for it to come from the factory) in February. Could it be outgassing since it's been hot and it's been closed up?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/suggestions! We're supposed to leave tomorrow afternoon, and now I'm worried.
chrissybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 05:17 PM   #2

Low battery causes it to go off. You need to install a battery disconnect or unhook the negative side of the battery when it is not plugged in for any length of time. It will drain the battery dead in a couple of weeks otherwise.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 06:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
Low battery causes it to go off. You need to install a battery disconnect or unhook the negative side of the battery when it is not plugged in for any length of time. It will drain the battery dead in a couple of weeks otherwise.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K
Thanks! We have a battery disconnect "key" switch under the bed, I just forgot to take it out to disconnect it I just thought it was odd that it wouldn't quit going off, even while plugged into shore power and after hitting the test button multiple times, until after I opened the doors/windows. Thankfully, it hasn't started going off again since I closed everything back up (with shore power).
Old 05-26-2016, 06:06 PM   #4

How old are your alarms? After about 5 years they need to be replaced. I had one that was over 5 years and almost 6 years old and got plenty of false alarms. There was nothing I could do except replace it.

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 06:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_GA View Post
How old are your alarms? After about 5 years they need to be replaced. I had one that was over 5 years and almost 6 years old and got plenty of false alarms. There was nothing I could do except replace it.
It's brand new - rolled off the line at the factory in late January of this year.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSSg
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K
X2, dead battery.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 12:15 PM   #7

Just because your camper is new doesn't mean your alarm is new. Ours did the same thing and we found that it was 3 years old when it was installed at the factory. They buy in bulk and your alarm might have sat for an extended time before being installed. I don't think they do a very good job of rotating stock(using the oldest first).
abjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 12:21 PM   #8

I have the Safe-T-Alert also. Pain in the neck... Would go off in middle of night (brand new) on full battery. When I accidently rubbed against a stove burner and turned on the gas as I was unpacking after a trip. I re entered the RV to smell gas- but NO, the detecter didn't go off. I replaced the faulty detecter after that. When I was having problems with the detector, my brother suggested to me; buy a cheap battery powered detecter and if it doesn't go off the Safe-T-Alert does, then it's bad.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 01:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissybird View Post
Thanks! We have a battery disconnect "key" switch under the bed, I just forgot to take it out to disconnect it
Note that the battery disconnect switch does NOT disconnect the monitor which is hard wired to the battery. You can install a cut off switch ON the battery negative terminal when you are putting it in storage...or just disconnect the black wire from the post.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 11:11 AM   #10

I have had the same situation when used bug spray or deodorizer.
looncry1 is offline   Reply With Quote