Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2015, 02:12 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Campingnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Carstairs Alberta Canada
Posts: 291
Some TT toy haulers are very bad for this when loaded with toys. A dually will not make a difference.
__________________

__________________
Tim and Bev
2013 Cedar Creek 34RLSA, Magnum 2800w inverter, 560w of solar.
2015 F-350
Campingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 02:12 PM   #12
Member
 
brer_rabbit10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 33
I think ependydad has the right answer. Go to a truck stop and get weighed and then find a way to redistribute the weight forward if your specs are off. It's a dangerous situation to be in.
__________________

__________________
Bill Case
Silverback 35QB4
F350 Diesel prime mover
brer_rabbit10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 02:17 PM   #13
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by brer_rabbit10 View Post
I think ependydad has the right answer. Go to a truck stop and get weighed and then find a way to redistribute the weight forward if your specs are off. It's a dangerous situation to be in.
I think he already knows he's light on the front, scales is just going to verify it.

Find some easy way of adding wt to the front if fw is not an option.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 02:21 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Campingnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Carstairs Alberta Canada
Posts: 291
To add weight to the front of a friends toy hauler like this, his had a bed in the front, we put a fresh water tank under his bed and he added water to it when he needed the weight on the front.
__________________
Tim and Bev
2013 Cedar Creek 34RLSA, Magnum 2800w inverter, 560w of solar.
2015 F-350
Campingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 02:26 PM   #15
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I think he already knows he's light on the front, scales is just going to verify it.

Find some easy way of adding wt to the front if fw is not an option.
The reason that I mentioned scales is that I think the scale will tell you how much weight needs to be shifted around. And, armed with numbers- I'd likely talk to Pro Ride or Hensley and see if their hitches can combat the problem.

For moving weight- we had a member who mounted a thick piece of steel to his TT tongue to combat similar sway issues. It's radical, but might help:
tongue WEIGHT
__________________
2012 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling an early 2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 02:30 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Campingnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Carstairs Alberta Canada
Posts: 291
Yes in the end a Hensley/Pro pride was used to fix the problem completly on my friends.
__________________
Tim and Bev
2013 Cedar Creek 34RLSA, Magnum 2800w inverter, 560w of solar.
2015 F-350
Campingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 02:35 PM   #17
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
The reason that I mentioned scales is that I think the scale will tell you how much weight needs to be shifted around. And, armed with numbers- I'd likely talk to Pro Ride or Hensley and see if their hitches can combat the problem.

For moving weight- we had a member who mounted a thick piece of steel to his TT tongue to combat similar sway issues. It's radical, but might help:
tongue WEIGHT
He should know how much weight he needs as it doesn't sway with fw tank filled. BUT, knowing the exact wt could help. He can also get it at home with a set of bathroom scales.

No hitch made will combat a "too light" tongue wt.
Attached Images
 
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 02:43 PM   #18
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
He should know how much weight he needs as it doesn't sway with fw tank filled. BUT, knowing the exact wt could help. He can also get it at home with a set of bathroom scales.

No hitch made will combat a "too light" tongue wt.
I think the OP mentioned that adding water reduced the sway, but it was still there. I've never pulled a big TT so I don't know what is to be expected.

You can get the tongue weight, but without knowing the overall weight- you only know a portion of what you need to know. You can't find the percentage without knowing the overall weight.

Reading more into avolnek's post about adding the steel, it ends with him switching to a Pro Ride.
Last post by avolnek
__________________
2012 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling an early 2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 03:35 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
caper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,973
What he is trying to say that a different hitch will not add weight to the tongue. The OP must find a way to increase the tongue weight. His idea of having the bike in the center of the trailer might also help. If he has the bike to one side it will cause the trailer to track differently. When he added water to his tank the sway was not as bad because the water did off set the weight difference a bit.
__________________
Terry and Janet
2008 3001W Windjammer
2007 Ford F150
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 03:49 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Campingnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Carstairs Alberta Canada
Posts: 291
The hitch might not add weight but I will say this a Pro pride or Hensley will greatly effect how it tows. I am living proof and I will not tow another tt without one.
__________________

__________________
Tim and Bev
2013 Cedar Creek 34RLSA, Magnum 2800w inverter, 560w of solar.
2015 F-350
Campingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bike, sway

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:22 AM.