Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2015, 08:24 AM   #1

Coach sways with bike in garage

I have a 2014 XLR 30fqsl. I mounted my Condor chock on the drivers side, loaded my Electra Glide and discovered that the trailer would "wiggle" while being towed. It did not wiggle before the bike was loaded. A full load of water reduced the sway to a manageable level, but still produced noticeable tire wear on my tow vehicle (3/4 ton Dodge diesel).
Will centering my bike in the garage eliminate the sway? I tow in the winter and a tank full of water is not always possible.
40 days out 2018

Illegitmi Non Carborundum
LairdT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:07 AM   #2

You need more weight on or in front of the axle. If most of your weight is aft of the axle you will definitely have more swaying.
Soxfan1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:17 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soxfan1957 View Post
You need more weight on or in front of the axle. If most of your weight is aft of the axle you will definitely have more swaying.
Agree, not enough tongue weight.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:18 AM   #4
Always Learning

I agree with the above. You need to spend $20 at a truck stop scale and figure out your weights:
Learn To RV: How to Weigh a Travel Trailer
Old 03-19-2015, 10:29 AM   #5

in addition to the above suggestions, I added a 2nd friction sway bar from Harbor Freight for $40 to my setup. It worked really well for me.

I have my Road Glide Ultra, about same weight as your Electra Glide, on the left side of my garage and that makes no difference on mine.

Also, are you using a weight distribution hitch? If so, can you adjust it to move less weight off the hitch?

Good luck, I know the sway can be very annoying and even dangerous.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:44 AM   #6
Mod free 5er

Load the bikes at an angle so they span the width.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:00 PM   #7

Agree with the tongue weight problem and I would also consider looking into a Hensley or Pro-pride hitch.
Campingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 12:03 PM   #8

To be safe with a standard (vice 5th wheel) trailer you should have between 7% and 10% of the total weight of the towed vehicle on the tongue.
brer_rabbit10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:04 PM   #9

This Nitro is a TT not a 5er. It seems weird that a vehicle designed for hauling several "toys" would be so easy to unbalance. A full load of water puts weight equal to the Harley on the other side of the axles. I am wondering about a different hitch although I think a truck with duals might be the answer too $$$$
40 days out 2018

Illegitmi Non Carborundum
LairdT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:07 PM   #10

Trailers don't sway any less behind a DRW truck. You might just feel it less. Better sway control is your answer but loading the garage will always make a trailer sway a touch more. Even on 5vers.
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:12 PM   #11

Some TT toy haulers are very bad for this when loaded with toys. A dually will not make a difference.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:12 PM   #12

I think ependydad has the right answer. Go to a truck stop and get weighed and then find a way to redistribute the weight forward if your specs are off. It's a dangerous situation to be in.
brer_rabbit10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:17 PM   #13
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by brer_rabbit10 View Post
I think ependydad has the right answer. Go to a truck stop and get weighed and then find a way to redistribute the weight forward if your specs are off. It's a dangerous situation to be in.
I think he already knows he's light on the front, scales is just going to verify it.

Find some easy way of adding wt to the front if fw is not an option.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:21 PM   #14

To add weight to the front of a friends toy hauler like this, his had a bed in the front, we put a fresh water tank under his bed and he added water to it when he needed the weight on the front.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:26 PM   #15
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I think he already knows he's light on the front, scales is just going to verify it.

Find some easy way of adding wt to the front if fw is not an option.
The reason that I mentioned scales is that I think the scale will tell you how much weight needs to be shifted around. And, armed with numbers- I'd likely talk to Pro Ride or Hensley and see if their hitches can combat the problem.

For moving weight- we had a member who mounted a thick piece of steel to his TT tongue to combat similar sway issues. It's radical, but might help:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ght-56648.html
Old 03-19-2015, 01:30 PM   #16

Yes in the end a Hensley/Pro pride was used to fix the problem completly on my friends.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:35 PM   #17
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
The reason that I mentioned scales is that I think the scale will tell you how much weight needs to be shifted around. And, armed with numbers- I'd likely talk to Pro Ride or Hensley and see if their hitches can combat the problem.

For moving weight- we had a member who mounted a thick piece of steel to his TT tongue to combat similar sway issues. It's radical, but might help:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ght-56648.html
He should know how much weight he needs as it doesn't sway with fw tank filled. BUT, knowing the exact wt could help. He can also get it at home with a set of bathroom scales.

No hitch made will combat a "too light" tongue wt.
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2015, 01:43 PM   #18
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
He should know how much weight he needs as it doesn't sway with fw tank filled. BUT, knowing the exact wt could help. He can also get it at home with a set of bathroom scales.

No hitch made will combat a "too light" tongue wt.
I think the OP mentioned that adding water reduced the sway, but it was still there. I've never pulled a big TT so I don't know what is to be expected.

You can get the tongue weight, but without knowing the overall weight- you only know a portion of what you need to know. You can't find the percentage without knowing the overall weight.

Reading more into avolnek's post about adding the steel, it ends with him switching to a Pro Ride.
Last post by avolnek
Old 03-19-2015, 02:35 PM   #19

What he is trying to say that a different hitch will not add weight to the tongue. The OP must find a way to increase the tongue weight. His idea of having the bike in the center of the trailer might also help. If he has the bike to one side it will cause the trailer to track differently. When he added water to his tank the sway was not as bad because the water did off set the weight difference a bit.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 02:49 PM   #20

The hitch might not add weight but I will say this a Pro pride or Hensley will greatly effect how it tows. I am living proof and I will not tow another tt without one.

Tags
bike, sway