Old 06-27-2016, 09:34 AM   #1

Converter Issue?

We purchased a new 417AMP earlier this year and ever since when I plug into the house (20Amp circuit) the converter does not maintain or charge the battery.

I have plugged in a known good battery charger to the trailer (while it is connected via 120v - 20amp service to the house) and the battery will charge as expected (full charge in about a day).

At the campground we had 50 amp service, but due to the fact I did not want to run into a dead battery during our trip I just put the charger on it without testing to see if the 50 amp service would allow the converter to keep up.

When I took the trailer back to Campingworld for service they say they cannot reproduce the issue, but I have reason to believe they are not diagnosing issues correctly as I have had to fix two other issues myself after they told me either they fixed them or could not create the issue (no water out of the kitchen sink when connected to city water, turned out the counterweight was the cause).

Am I being unreasonable in thinking 120v - 20amp service should be enough to overcome parasitic loss and charge the battery (no other load than the CO detector and I think the backup camera)?

Dave

Old 06-27-2016, 09:40 AM   #2

It should... If everything is operating correctly.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

Old 06-28-2016, 12:11 AM   #3

I bought a 415AMP earlier this year and I am running into the same issue.

We have solar and did not initially realize that the converter was not charging the batteries until we went camping in all day rainy weather. We were plugged into 50 AMP service the entire day and ran out of battery power over night. We noticed it because the heater was not able to turn on without the 12V spark.

I took it to Camping World and they claim to have fixed it, but I am doubtful. They said it was because my dealer had wired the batteries wrong. I also ended up installing 2 extra batteries on the street side, so I have 4 in my battery bank. I also bought a separate 25 Amp battery charger to make sure my batteries are always charged. The extra charger really seems to make a difference. It's just a shame to spend that amount of money on a rig and it can't keep your batteries charged.

Reading this reminds me that I need to cover my solar and replicate the conditions when we ran out of battery power to see if the converter is actually working.

I'll keep you posted if I figure anything out.

2014 Ram 3500 DRW

2016 Thunderbolt XLR 415AMP

Nights Camped 2014 - 38

Nights Camped 2015 - 32

Nights Camped 2016 - 15
Old 06-28-2016, 01:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC23 View Post
We purchased a new 417AMP earlier this year and ever since when I plug into the house (20Amp circuit) the converter does not maintain or charge the battery.

I have plugged in a known good battery charger to the trailer (while it is connected via 120v - 20amp service to the house) and the battery will charge as expected (full charge in about a day).

At the campground we had 50 amp service, but due to the fact I did not want to run into a dead battery during our trip I just put the charger on it without testing to see if the 50 amp service would allow the converter to keep up.
maybe you had the battery disconnect disconnected

When I took the trailer back to Campingworld for service they say they cannot reproduce the issue, but I have reason to believe they are not diagnosing issues correctly as I have had to fix two other issues myself after they told me either they fixed them or could not create the issue (no water out of the kitchen sink when connected to city water, turned out the counterweight was the cause).

Am I being unreasonable in thinking 120v - 20amp service should be enough to overcome parasitic loss and charge the battery (no other load than the CO detector and I think the backup camera)?

Dave
check the voltage output of the converter that should tell you if it's charging or not . maybe they did and it checked out ok . do it yourself and see for your self if it is then look else where for the issue
Old 06-28-2016, 12:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
check the voltage output of the converter that should tell you if it's charging or not . maybe they did and it checked out ok . do it yourself and see for your self if it is then look else where for the issue
X2. But, I would check charging voltage at the battery to be sure its getting all the way there. If not, then at the converter itself. Of course, if you have 12 volt appliances running while not on shore power you have proven battery to converter connectivity. My advice is to get a good "smart" charger when you can, such as the IOTA w/IQ4 or PI w/the wizard.
WW
Old 06-28-2016, 12:45 PM   #6

Battery voltage does not change whether plugged into shore power or not. All 12v components work until the battery dies then nothing works whether shore power is plugged in or not.

Forest River service agrees something it is not right and thinks it is thermal breakers that have been popped, but I have been unable to find the thermal breakers.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Battery voltage does not change whether plugged into shore power or not. All 12v components work until the battery dies then nothing works whether shore power is plugged in or not.

Forest River service agrees something it is not right and thinks it is thermal breakers that have been popped, but I have been unable to find the thermal breakers.
those breakers should be on the frame by the tongue follow the positive battery cable back till you come across it . a small black reset is located on the bottom of the breaker
Old 06-28-2016, 01:47 PM   #8
Site Team

I am kinda confused a little here. If you are on shore power (either at the campground or house) there should be no parasitic battery drain, as the converters job besides being a battery charger...is to convert 120 volt AC to 12 volt DC, that then powers the 12 volt DC items (including the parasitic ones).

You should not run out of battery power overnight, if you are plugged into a form of 120 volt AC shore power, since the converter is providing power to the 12 volt items (ie furnace) INSTEAD of the battery.

When plugged into 120 volt shore power, your battery should not be depleting itself, unless it is the item providing power to the 12 volt items....hence your converter is not.

I would look to see if the converter is outputting (sounds like it is not) and make sure the circuit breaker for the converter is not tripped.

Mark Polk explains a converters function better than I do here:

RV Converters and Amp Draw - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:14 AM   #9

Thumbs up Answer/Solution

After speaking with Donnie at XLR support and then also one of the electrical assembly line leads (which he went out of his way to call me last night, thank you!) we found the root of the problem.

I have one of the 50 amp to 30 amp adapters that splits into 2 30 amp plugs. Each line is a leg of the 2-phases that make up the 50 amp (220v) connection to power the trailer. The convert is on the 2nd leg of the circuit and not receiving any power when plugged into a 15 amp circuit on one leg of the adapter I have. This explains why campingworld could not recreate the issue since they most likely plugged the camper into a 50 amp plug in the bay (not replicating the scenario I gave them). I will be picking up a normal 50 to 30 amp adapter that feeds both legs at the same time tonight.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to come up with ideas.

Dave
Old 06-29-2016, 08:42 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
After speaking with Donnie at XLR support and then also one of the electrical assembly line leads (which he went out of his way to call me last night, thank you!) we found the root of the problem.

I have one of the 50 amp to 30 amp adapters that splits into 2 30 amp plugs. Each line is a leg of the 2-phases that make up the 50 amp (220v) connection to power the trailer. The convert is on the 2nd leg of the circuit and not receiving any power when plugged into a 15 amp circuit on one leg of the adapter I have. This explains why campingworld could not recreate the issue since they most likely plugged the camper into a 50 amp plug in the bay (not replicating the scenario I gave them). I will be picking up a normal 50 to 30 amp adapter that feeds both legs at the same time tonight.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to come up with ideas.

Dave
Thanks for letting us know. From the way you are describing it, then only one leg of your 50 amp bus bar was being powered. If you will look at the 50 amp circuit breakers pic I provided in the post above yours, then you should see that you would have had much more than just your converter not working in that scenario. Anything else with circuit breakers on that same side of it's 50 amp circuit breaker main leg would also not be powered either.

Glad it was something so easy.

This diagram also shows how you need L1 and L2 to provide power for your 50 amp RV service:

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter