Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2016, 04:48 PM   #1

Crazy toy hauler questions...

We have a xlr 29 hfs toy hauler TT. I was wanting to finally use the garage to carry toys. maybe you can help?

1) Will a gas golf cart be able to drive up the back ramp on level ground under its own power? If not, how are folks loading the golf cart? Does it need to be winched? What is the safest bet?

2) I looked at the dimensions of a Smart car, it looks like it would fit. Has anyone heard of anyone putting a Smart car in the garage? The car is around 1600 pounds. I forgot what the rating is for the ramp?

Thanks,

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
laurajean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 05:14 PM   #2

We have a xlr 27 if the door on the 29 is the same I would not try to put the smart car in the hauler. You would wreck the door. with the golf cart i think you might have to extend the ramp, so it is not as steep you might bottom out as you enter the garage.
Berjr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 05:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajean View Post
We have a xlr 29 hfs toy hauler TT. I was wanting to finally use the garage to carry toys. maybe you can help?

1) Will a gas golf cart be able to drive up the back ramp on level ground under its own power? If not, how are folks loading the golf cart? Does it need to be winched? What is the safest bet?

2) I looked at the dimensions of a Smart car, it looks like it would fit. Has anyone heard of anyone putting a Smart car in the garage? The car is around 1600 pounds. I forgot what the rating is for the ramp?

Thanks,

i think the smart car would be an issue . is it 1600lbs ? around 1600 leaves for a lot of discrepancies plus all that weight on the ramp door at once may cause issues . these are toy haulers . not car haulers . i big bike around 1000 lbs an atv 600 to 700 depending . all good . if you want to bring a car along maybe a motor coach would better suit u .
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 06:27 PM   #4

The golf cart is lifted, so it will be tight height wise.
Old 02-26-2016, 06:43 PM   #5

Lots of people haul smart cars actually. What's the weight rating? My ramp is rated at 3k, as is my garage. Issue with 1600 lbs back there will be with your TV...
Old 02-26-2016, 07:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350TH View Post
Lots of people haul smart cars actually. What's the weight rating? My ramp is rated at 3k, as is my garage. Issue with 1600 lbs back there will be with your TV...
Not all ramps and garages are rated at 3000 lbs. Check yours

As far as we have a Puma Unleashed and an electric golf car no issues loading on its own power unless it has just been raining. Always seen electric carts where we go always load under their own power can not speak to gas carts as they are not allowed anywhere we go.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 07:59 PM   #7

It's not a smart car but...https://m.facebook.com/xlrtoyhauler/...pe=3&source=42

-R.Jones
Nitro 31FQSL
R3Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:21 PM   #8

R3jones, very cool. That's a 5th wheel, right?

Old 02-26-2016, 08:21 PM   #9

Why would you want to bring a car with you ?
Driving that little thing has got to be painful after driving a nice truck!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 02-26-2016, 08:23 PM   #10

Oaklevel, you brought up a good question. I never have really thought about electric vs gas golf carts being allowed but gas not allowed. Where have you experienced this?

Old 02-26-2016, 08:25 PM   #11

Homebrew, we were just wondering. We were thinking out loud. We want to haul our gas golf cart though.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Oaklevel, you brought up a good question. I never have really thought about electric vs gas golf carts being allowed but gas not allowed. Where have you experienced this?

Every campground we've been to that allows carts does not allow gas carts. I have seen a few at Fort Wilderness but they're technically not allowed.
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Will a gas golf cart be able to drive up the back ramp on level ground under its own power?
Oh hell yeah it will go up on its own. I've done a lot of stupid stuff on a gas cart. They go up much steeper stuff than that ramp! I can't help the urge but to act like a kid on anything like that, that's why I don't have one!
2016 Nights camped 5
ferguson65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 12:42 AM   #14

27 HFS electric cart no problem at all. I can't see a gas cart climbing the ramp that much differently. I do find that more and more campgrounds are not allowing golf carts. The gas more than electric.
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 07:11 AM   #15

Quote:
R3jones, very cool. That's a 5th wheel, right?

Yes I believe. I picked this pic from the XLR Facebook page.

-R.Jones
Nitro 31FQSL
R3Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 07:24 AM   #16

Quote:

The largest campground on the East Coast in Myrtle Beach SC, Ocean Lakes for one only allows electric carts. They are extremely strict about it, there are many small campgrounds as well. Proof of insurance is required and it is checked and no operators under the age of 16. If you don't show proof of insurance to them and register the cart it goes in storage / in your trailer or in their storage lot til you leave. Or you can rent one of theirs......

Its hard to find too many campgrounds that allow gas carts most do not.

No motorcycles in Ocean Lakes Campground either they either have to parked in a storage lot or towed to your campsite.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 07:35 AM   #17

Very easy to use the front jack to Decrease the ramp angle! Now in regards to "Gas vs Elect." DB"s a Stock gas or elect. Both Meet the Standards set for Golf course's! Now if you Modify a Gas carts "Engine/Exhaust" system that is what brings the WRATH of RV parks NOT wanting gas golf carts! Now having said that we were at a RV park in VA.that posted "No Gas Golf Carts" but the OLD elect.carts "Rear end gear NOISE" was so Loud that you had to Stop talking as they went by! Youroo!!
Old 02-27-2016, 08:38 AM   #18

My engine is stock and golf course quiet. It is lifted and is custom. I stay at state or county camp grounds. I cannot imagine allowing electric and not gas carts. It sure is quieter than driving the diesel dually around to sight see at and around parks. I never have thought about the the acceptance one or the other. Glad to know I need to pay attention.
Old 02-27-2016, 08:50 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
The largest campground on the East Coast in Myrtle Beach SC, Ocean Lakes for one only allows electric carts. They are extremely strict about it, there are many small campgrounds as well. Proof of insurance is required and it is checked and no operators under the age of 16. If you don't show proof of insurance to them and register the cart it goes in storage / in your trailer or in their storage lot til you leave. Or you can rent one of theirs......

Its hard to find too many campgrounds that allow gas carts most do not.

No motorcycles in Ocean Lakes Campground either they either have to parked in a storage lot or towed to your campsite.

That sucks about motorcycles. I guess I won't be staying there. My bike is no louder than some trucks. That's why I like state parks.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 08:53 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmac04401 View Post
That sucks about motorcycles. I guess I won't be staying there. My bike is no louder than some trucks. That's why I like state parks.
I have no facts about this opinion. But I always assumed Ocean Lakes did this to keep the Bike Week crowds out.
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toy hauler