Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2013, 06:19 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adh203 View Post
I have a 2012 xlr 305 v 12 and couch back is very soft. Are you going to haul any toys? If so check the yellow weight stickers on the front door and on the side of the trailer. It will tell you cargo cap. I found out the hard way 1485# total cargo capacity. Not good to haul my Harley's or golf cart
That's a great point and is one of the biggest hurdles I have had in my toy hauler hunt. I need at a minimum a 2000lb cargo capacity in the garage plus at least another 1500-2000lb for the rest of the trailer to handle water and camping stuff... Seems like this is a place manufactures cut corners on the double axle TH's to keep price down. They go with 6k axels and keep materials at a minimum. When you go to more expensive units like Columbus, Fuzion, etc seems like most will have a 2500lb + load capacity and typically 7k axels standard but then they are typically loaded with interior upgrades as well that drive the cost way up. I have found that option lists are typically strict and the manuf does not often deviate from those options. I am not interested in triple axels as I am pulling with a 2500 truck so my search will continue. Good luck with your new V series XLR's. They really look nice but that load capacity is no good for me.
kfp673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:38 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfp673 View Post

That's a great point and is one of the biggest hurdles I have had in my toy hauler hunt. I need at a minimum a 2000lb cargo capacity in the garage plus at least another 1500-2000lb for the rest of the trailer to handle water and camping stuff... Seems like this is a place manufactures cut corners on the double axle TH's to keep price down. They go with 6k axels and keep materials at a minimum. When you go to more expensive units like Columbus, Fuzion, etc seems like most will have a 2500lb + load capacity and typically 7k axels standard but then they are typically loaded with interior upgrades as well that drive the cost way up. I have found that option lists are typically strict and the manuf does not often deviate from those options. I am not interested in triple axels as I am pulling with a 2500 truck so my search will continue. Good luck with your new V series XLR's. They really look nice but that load capacity is no good for me.
I'm now looking at Heartland they have an average cargo capacity of 4000# + road warrior and cyclone
Adh203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:09 AM   #23

I have the xlr 300x14. The garage has a sticker saying not to exceed 3000lbs. I hope that's correct. I will be carting four ATVs back there. I have not tried it yet. I hate to put them back there, it's such a nice living area with the carpet rolled out.
Jeff Auton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:27 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Auton View Post
I have the xlr 300x14. The garage has a sticker saying not to exceed 3000lbs. I hope that's correct. I will be carting four ATVs back there. I have not tried it yet. I hate to put them back there, it's such a nice living area with the carpet rolled out.
Mine has the same sticker BUT FR says that is how much weight the garage can handle not the cargo capacity you have to look for the yellow stickers on the inside front door or drivers side front of the trailer. Mine says only 1485# cargo capacity. It's 305v12
Old 08-23-2013, 09:44 AM   #25

Quote:

Mine has the same sticker BUT FR says that is how much weight the garage can handle not the cargo capacity you have to look for the yellow stickers on the inside front door or drivers side front of the trailer. Mine says only 1485# cargo capacity. It's 305v12
Thanks for that info. I will look at mine when I get home. If that the case it defeats the purpose of buying one with a 14ft garage.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:59 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Auton View Post

Thanks for that info. I will look at mine when I get home. If that the case it defeats the purpose of buying one with a 14ft garage.
Is your a triaxel if so you may be ok. How heavy are the atvs?
Old 08-23-2013, 10:42 AM   #27

I have triple axles. The combined weight on the ATVs is around 2200.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:49 PM   #28

Jeff
You will have no problem hauling your 4 wheelers,it does help to add water to your fresh water tank just because of the weight on the backside of the axles,I been running 80 or 85 on I-90 fully loaded with 45 gallons of fuel.
Jerry
Mantisfactory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:23 AM   #29

Quote:

Check the GVWR. We are actually talking about two different ratings here. For total load you take the GVWR and subtract the dry weight of the trailer and that will show you the maximum that trailer should weigh. I have found however that most manuf have separately rated the garage area. So for example, many will have a max garage weight of 2500lb but when looking at the GVWR minus the Dry weight you might have 3700 lb for example of load capacity. This would mean with 2200 lbs of ATV's you would have room for another 1500lb's of everything else (water, pots, pans, etc etc) they just dont want all of that weight in the garage. The issue I run into is I also need a 2500lb garage but only want a dual axel trailer and that will often leave me with only 1000 lbs for the rest of the trailer. full tank of water on most of these is well over 800lbs so you can run out quickly.
kfp673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 08:57 PM   #30

I know this is an old thread, but I'm considering buying this trailer used. Has anything changed?
rcpd34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 09:46 PM   #31

Ours is a 306V14. Not sure what the floor plan is for the 305v12. Regardless our truck is a one ton short bed king cab. My husband LOVES the trailers V design for towing. No need for a slider hitch. V gives PLENTY of room for those sharp turns. Love love the trailer! Bought it new in 2014 and haven't seen one yet that we want to trade for. 4th Forest River...always great trailers.
aallabaugh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags