Old 11-10-2015, 08:45 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezyhillfarm View Post
I too dislike these games. I like a straight deal.

2014 XLR27HFS
2006 Ford F450 Diesel Dually
2015 Harley Freewheeler Trike (Tara)
2004 Harley Road King Custom (Gemma)
When you finance the bank gives the dealer a kickback. RVW offers a portion of that to the consumer whereas any other dealer just keeps it. How is that a "game"??? And to draw a conclusion that Couch's always offers a better non-finance price is an error. It's possible that the unit at Couch's had been on the lot for a while and they were ready to move it. I just bought a truck at my local Ford dealer at over $3K BELOW cost including the dealer hold back. Over $13K off on an F250 6.7PSD that only stickered for $56K. $5K less than truecar.com indicated was possible at the time. How? I negotiated down into the finance kickback money. I ride it out over 3 months and spend ~$400 in finance charges to save thousands. If you wanna call it a game that's fine- it's a game I'll gladly pay to save thousands.

Old 11-10-2015, 08:52 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
When you finance the bank gives the dealer a kickback. RVW offers a portion of that to the consumer whereas any other dealer just keeps it. How is that a "game"??? And to draw a conclusion that Couch's always offers a better non-finance price is an error. It's possible that the unit at Couch's had been on the lot for a while and they were ready to move it. I just bought a truck at my local Ford dealer at over $3K BELOW cost including the dealer hold back. Over $13K off on an F250 6.7PSD that only stickered for $56K. $5K less than truecar.com indicated was possible at the time. How? I negotiated down into the finance kickback money. I ride it out over 3 months and spend ~$400 in finance charges to save thousands. If you wanna call it a game that's fine- it's a game I'll gladly pay to save thousands.

Mine was a special order cash sale so nothing to do with how long it was on a lot. Couch's was cheaper by a touch and no financing required to get the price. Everyone's experience seems different and each of us can only comment on what happened when we as an individual cross shopped the two. I don't think anyone made a blanket statement that one was "always" cheaper than the other as no one could possible know that.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:06 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat View Post
Mine was a special order cash sale so nothing to do with how long it was on a lot. Couch's was cheaper by a touch and no financing required to get the price. Everyone's experience seems different and each of us can only comment on what happened when we as an individual cross shopped the two. I don't think anyone made a blanket statement that one was "always" cheaper than the other as no one could possible know that.
I guess Couch's just keeps all of the finance kickback money or they would have offered to save you even more by financing I'd think???? Just boils down to the fact that if you get a dealer that is willing to share that finance kickback money you can save over paying cash. Not saying you won't have to haggle for it, but it's definitely been worth it in my experience.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:43 AM   #54

Not sure what Couch's does. All I know is apples to apples with no financing wanted or needed, they were lower than RVW. This means that RVW is actually making more money on the deal by offering the same selling price and getting a kickback from the bank. The kickback in my situation wasn't offered to me and why would I haggle for it or take the financing if Couch's price was already there?
Old 11-10-2015, 09:46 AM   #55

Quote:
When you finance the bank gives the dealer a kickback. RVW offers a portion of that to the consumer whereas any other dealer just keeps it. How is that a "game"???

Why charge the purchaser for it to begin with to then turn around and give it back? Game indeed. That's no different than going to ABC Supermarket and paying $45 more for the same groceries you can get at XYZ supermarket, but ABC then gives you a $45 discount at their gas pumps.

I have never tried buying at "Couch's" but I have tried at RVW 3 times, and I have also tried at a few others around this region who use "wholesale" in their name or advertisements. Although they can have good pricing, they can also be beaten on price easily in the local market. Wholesale is just a word, none of it is true wholesale. Wholesale is the price they pay the manufacturer if you need to use the word. Here in PA they would not be allowed to use the word "wholesale" or the AG and the consumer protection people would be all over them like flies on a turd.

Why do about 99% of the positive comments from people for any of these "wholesale" dealers that say how great the prices are, come from people traveling hundreds or thousands of miles to get them? I'd say because you're in an inflated market where you live to begin with. The dealers around this region pay way less in transportation costs right off the bat. In the local market around these so called wholesalers, we know that a lot of the local dealers can and will beat their prices. Not all, but many. I know a lot of people from MI and OH who have RV's and none of them purchased at any of the "wholesalers" despite them being located relatively close. Why is that? because they do not like to save money?

Do you think other dealers would stand for it if these so called "wholesale" dealers were getting some kind of massive discount from the manufacturer the other dealers do not? They may get something based on volume, that's debatable and if so it can not be that much. I know of plenty of other dealers that I would bet move more volume. Other dealers could not stay in business, especially in local markets to these "wholesalers" if that was the case yet there are plenty of other dealers in the local market.

They are all just another dealer the same as any other, nothing wholesale about any of it.

If you're going to travel hundreds or thousands of miles to come to Ohio, you should check into some of the other dealers within say a 200 mile radius of Toledo Ohio. You'll save some money.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:47 AM   #56

Quote:
Not sure what Couch's does. All I know is apples to apples with no financing wanted or needed, they were lower than RVW. This means that RVW is actually making more money on the deal by offering the same selling price and getting a kickback from the bank. The kickback in my situation wasn't offered to me and why would I haggle for it or take the financing if Couch's price was already there?
I always haggle, but then I have more time than money!
Old 11-10-2015, 09:53 AM   #57

Haggling and taking the loan in my case would have only only gotten me to even with Couch's. Plus all the other reasons I stated earlier in the thread... Very slow replies to emails and calls and "Derek" pulled a total sleaze move telling me to screw Couch's by canceling the credit card I used for my deposit to get out of my agreement with them. Well, if he didn't take 4 days to get back to me, that may not have been necessary. Anyways, glad you got the deal that worked best for you at RVW. Lots of happy customers there. I got just as good a deal at Couch's with better service and no haggling, so that worked best for me. As the old saying goes, that's why they make chocolate and vanilla. Something for everyone!
Old 11-10-2015, 10:03 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Why charge the purchaser for it to begin with to then turn around and give it back? Game indeed. That's no different than going to ABC Supermarket and paying $45 more for the same groceries you can get at XYZ supermarket, but ABC then gives you a $45 discount at their gas pumps.

I have never tried buying at "Couch's" but I have tried at RVW 3 times, and I have also tried at a few others around this region who use "wholesale" in their name or advertisements. Although they can have good pricing, they can also be beaten on price easily in the local market. Wholesale is just a word, none of it is true wholesale. Wholesale is the price they pay the manufacturer if you need to use the word. Here in PA they would not be allowed to use the word "wholesale" or the AG and the consumer protection people would be all over them like flies on a turd.

Why do about 99% of the positive comments from people for any of these "wholesale" dealers that say how great the prices are, come from people traveling hundreds or thousands of miles to get them? I'd say because you're in an inflated market where you live to begin with. The dealers around this region pay way less in transportation costs right off the bat. In the local market around these so called wholesalers, we know that a lot of the local dealers can and will beat their prices. Not all, but many. I know a lot of people from MI and OH who have RV's and none of them purchased at any of the "wholesalers" despite them being located relatively close. Why is that? because they do not like to save money?

Do you think other dealers would stand for it it these so called "wholesale" dealers were getting some kind of massive discount from the manufacturer the other dealers do not? They may get something based on volume, that's debatable and if so it can not be that much. I know of plenty of other dealers that I would bet move more volume. Other dealers could not stay in business, especially in local markets to these "wholesalers" if that was the case yet there are plenty of other dealers in the local market.

They are all just another dealer the same as any other, nothing wholesale about any of it.

If you're going to travel hundreds or thousands of miles to come to Ohio, you should check into some of the other dealers within say a 200 mile radius of Toledo Ohio. You'll save some money.

Never miss an opportunity to bash RVW, huh? To address your point. I don't feel I'm being "charged" more at RVW just to be given a discount. They've always had great prices AND given the finance discount, so your first "point" is invalid as far as I'm concerned. As to your second claim, which is basically that no one near RVW buys from them, maybe David will chime in and tell us how many local customers he has. As to your third "point", I wouldn't buy from one of the small local Ohio dealers for 3 reasons: 1. They don't have a network of repair locations they can direct me to if I need warranty work. 2.They don't have the owner on these forums taking care of issues if someone needs help. 3. I've met David and Mike Durnell and believe they want to take care of their customers and their morals and values align with mine.

You seem to really HATE the use of the word "Wholesale" in the name of a business that sells to an end consumer for some reason. There is a business up the road from my house called "Car Mart" that doesn't have a single car on the lot- it's all big trucks, buses and heavy equipment. That bothers me so I bet it'd drive you flat nuts!!!!!
Old 11-10-2015, 10:09 AM   #59

Quote:
Haggling and taking the loan in my case would have only only gotten me to even with Couch's. Plus all the other reasons I stated earlier in the thread... Very slow replies to emails and calls and "Derek" pulled a total sleaze move telling me to screw Couch's by canceling the credit card I used for my deposit to get out of my agreement with them. Well, if he didn't take 4 days to get back to me, that may not have been necessary. Anyways, glad you got the deal that worked best for you at RVW. Lots of happy customers there. I got just as good a deal at Couch's with better service and no haggling, so that worked best for me. As the old saying goes, that's why they make chocolate and vanilla. Something for everyone!
Very true. Glad you got a deal you were happy with!
Old 11-10-2015, 10:43 AM   #60

Quote:
Never miss an opportunity to bash RVW, huh?

If my post is considered bashing, what is it called that when anyone mentions RVW in the slightest negative way, you are right there to defend them. I'd say you are bashing my bashing

Yes, I do hate "wholesale" being used as its nothing more than deception, not unlike other websites that link back to a different dealer, but I wont mention no names. I don't want to be accused of bashing.

Funny that both Couch's and RVW use the same map with the stickpins for the "national service network" on their websites, yet no one will post a list of the locations/businesses that are part of that network will they now? I like the cluster of the 5 or 6 pins around Pittsburgh. Since we only have a few RV firms / service centers / dealers around here, I sure would like to see the list of what ones are in that service network. I know for a fact that 4 of them around here are not part of either one of those service networks so that only leaves about 2 but we have 6 stick pins go figure. Maybe they are for Meineke or Monro.

Also funny that a certain firm claims they "paid the premiums" for extended warranty refund insurance that went bankrupt "out of their own pockets" but that's another post over in the dealer review section

I'm not that naive.

Want to buy a bridge?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14811565585_01e15433c4_b.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	494.2 KB
ID:	94017