Old 03-21-2013, 09:12 PM   #1
Senior moment Junior Memb

Delivery update

It's at least two weeks past what I thought would be reasonable to expect to be in our new trailer.

Was expecting delivery before last week, checked on tuesday and was told that it was in transport.
Was not here, Florida, on tuesday, called and got the old 'I checked on it this morning' story, will get someone right on it.

It's now thursday, we were planning to have it shook down, loaded, hitched and rolling before May, but it looks like it'l take a couple of more weeks.

Plan now is NC outer banks (Camp hatteras) May 5 for the start of a month tryout with a week or so on the Ohio river and a week in the Cinci area. Trying to be home before the grand babies are out of school for the summer.

Wish me luck..
Sometime during this process we are planning to find a side by side UTV for trail riding.

:
Thebottlesniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:20 PM   #2
Fulltime family RVer

My dealer promised 4-5 weeks last year. In reality, it took 10-11 and we missed a camping trip (almost 2). Build times vary and custom-need takes longer (we opted for the partial paint option on ours).

Wish I had a better story.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:21 PM   #3
MI Camperz

I'm tellin ya

From everything I read here with ordering a new camper....you couldn't get me to touch it with a ten foot pole. The next worry is: will it be in usable shape? Give me one I can pick on the lot, know it's cool, and be on my way....preferably a couple years old so the bugs are worked out and less depreciation.

Hope it is all worth it to you in the long run, though, and you have a great and safe season.

Lynn and Mike
Old 03-21-2013, 09:24 PM   #4
Fulltime family RVer

Lynn and Mike- we picked ours up and drove straight to a campground. It was beautiful and mostly continues to be so. Not all stories are horror stories- forums, unfortunately, seem to collect them as people are here because they need help. (Ask me about a previous life where I was a parent/moderator on a parent's support group for kids with brain tumors. Lots of survivors- but hard to tell based on the audience who needed the list.)
Old 03-21-2013, 09:26 PM   #5
MI Camperz

Glad it worked out in the long run.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:44 PM   #6

Mine was finished construction on the 7th of Mar. It's now the 21st. Gotta be a lack of initiative or communication somewhere.
:
Old 03-21-2013, 09:49 PM   #7

Sorry to hear about your delivery delay. Several factors could cause it. There are more trailers being built and waiting for delivery but probably the same number of delivery drivers. Full body paint can delay it abit. And I'm sure there are more. I know you're anxious to get your new camper, can't blame you at all. We were anxious too. Our dealer told us 6-8 weeks. It was at the dealer 7 weeks to the day we placed order. The good thing is you mention you want it ready to roll by May, it's not even April yet. Every day is one day closer to you enjoying your new camper. Hope you get some good news soon.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:57 PM   #8
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebottlesniper View Post
Mine was finished construction on the 7th of Mar. It's now the 21st. Gotta be a lack of initiative or communication somewhere.
I think there are 2 things here.

1) The manufacturer builds the campers. They then utilize either the dealer's own dedicated drivers or subcontract drivers to pickup the camper and drive them to the dealer. As I mentioned, some larger dealers have their own drivers - this can be the quickest method because the dealer knows when the camper is coming off of the line and can have someone scheduled to pick it up within days. However, this is not commonly the case. The alternative is that there are subcontractors who haul the RVs. In spring, they're in short supply as orders are up and camper production is being cranked out. For all but the smallest truck campers, it's a one-by-one delivery of these things from factory to dealer. Worse, it can commonly take 1-2 weeks, if not more in the busy season (now), to get hooked by a hauler and taken to the dealer. Then, depending on where you are- it can be a few day drive (remember- commercial drivers have to have downtime for rest and whatnot).

2) I would think your dealer knows this and can help manage your expectations.

The part that I'm in the dark about is I'm not sure how the dealer-to-factory communication works or even how far in advance the delivery drivers are scheduled. I'd like to believe that every camper is accounted for very shortly after coming off of the line. BUT- I also live in a world with rose colored glasses.

Good luck!
Old 03-21-2013, 10:13 PM   #9

Working with an established central florida dealer with multiple dealer locations. There's likely nowhere or need to place blame. At least for another week. Just typical business considerations, i suppose.
:
Old 03-21-2013, 10:22 PM   #10
Owner/Operator

Our 8289WS went on the production line in Millersburg on 1 March.

The RV was delivered to the dealer here in Arizona on 9 March.

The RV was delivered by a contract hauler arranged by Forest River.

RodeoGeorge

All My Modifications are at this link:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote