Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2016, 09:23 AM   #1

Details on 29UDQL5 XLR Nitro

Have spent several months shopping/considering a Cedar Creek all the time knowing that we need a Bunkhouse or sleeping arrangements for our adult daughter. Since I'm wanting to stay with a Forest River product all of the bunkhouse models are 40+ feet, too long for me. We want to stay closer to 36 feet which is a good fit for a lot of state parks.
Questions begin here
The XLR Nitro Toy Hauler would give us a garage which would be great private sleeping quarters as well and the floor plan seems to be a good fit for us. Questions for the 29UDQL5:
Q: How long has this model been available? and is their any expected significant changes to the XLR Nitro line up?
Q: With two A/C units would it stay cool in the garage? Put the second unit in the bedroom or garage? How about 3 A/C units?
Q: Any chance of getting a residential refrigerator in a XLR?
Q: Are the double pane windows necessary for Southern camping, FL, AL etc. So how is the insulation in these units for hot and cold climates?
Q: What Tire size and what type of brakes; drum or disk?
Q: Since we really don't haul any toys, am I going in a completely wrong direction? We do take 3 bikes and have 2 large dogs.

And finally, I was very impressed with the Cedar Creek quality and customer service, how is the XLR Nitro general quality and support from the factory?

Since the selection of units is very limited in my area (Pensacola, FL) we will be ordering a unit most likely in September. Ordering works for us since we like to make sure it has the options we want. Will talk about options maybe later on.
Thanks.
Nights Camped: 2017=61
Nights Camped: 2018=25
Nights Camped: 2019=12 | Booked=6
florabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 04:46 PM   #2

FB, a couple of three points and what I know

This model has a fairly light TW (2204# as published) and with a big CCC (5336#); with as many as two queen beds in the garage or one plus the pass through dinette is nice even without toys. I would not have a a non toy hauler. The uses for the garage are only limited by your imagination

I can't address quality in comparing the Cedar Creek. These models are built for a highly competitive market and they certainly scrimp where they can

I can't tell you if a Residential fridge is available for sure, but I think it would be. The XLR folks can do more than a dealer will tell you and the factory is great to work with. There is a member here (bulletbob) that you might want to PM him for specifics. I don't like the idea of depending on 120vac via inverter / battery for extended periods off the grid, but this limitation works for many folks. Even if you encounter 30A, its nice to run the fridge on LP if you need to, as well

Probably even XLR can't predict future plans (bulletbob would know)

E rated tires, I would hope ... drum brakes

You need 2 ACs for sure ... 13.5K in the garage and 15K for the ducted main... would think 2 ACs would do it; with the extreme package - double pane windows are a big plus, both for energy and ease of operation. Nicer windows. The call it extreme, but don't think this implies extreme temperatures, but the windows and tank heaters are a huge plus. The extreme package is a must if I ever buy again

I think they've been around since 2013

There are so called "wholesalers, that are very competive in the $$$ department, and some local dealers will try to match their prices. I bought my 29HFS in OH and saved quite a bit
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 02:05 PM   #3

The XLR factory sales manger, Kim Money, called me this morning and we had a nice chat and she answered all of my questions. She also told me about the upgrades and floor plan changes to the Nitro XLS product line.

Didn't get much response here on the forum so guessing Nitro isn't very popular here.

Cheers.
Old 08-17-2016, 03:13 PM   #4

I can't hold my breath any longer ... can you get a residential fridge? tires? can you share what Kim said about future changes.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 08-17-2016, 03:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
I can't hold my breath any longer ... can you get a residential fridge? tires? can you share what Kim said about future changes.
Haha, now that someone asked I will kindly share.

All units will come standard with a king size bed.
For this particular model, the TV will be angled for better viewing.
Yes, Residential Refrigerator is an option.
Introducing a Zero Gravity garage door for ease of operation.
And yes, XLR will make my modifications to the garage to add a dresser type set of drawers.
New floor plans (model number changes) are in final review before going live on their website. However, dealers have the new order forms but no pretty pictures yet.
We didn't talk about tires since that is not a show stopper for me.

Once I sent Kim an email she responded the next morning and followed up with a phone call. I'm already impressed with their customer service.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by florabama View Post
Haha, now that someone asked I will kindly share.

All units will come standard with a king size bed.
For this particular model, the TV will be angled for better viewing.
Yes, Residential Refrigerator is an option.
Introducing a Zero Gravity garage door for ease of operation.
And yes, XLR will make my modifications to the garage to add a dresser type set of drawers.
New floor plans (model number changes) are in final review before going live on their website. However, dealers have the new order forms but no pretty pictures yet.
We didn't talk about tires since that is not a show stopper for me.

Once I sent Kim an email she responded the next morning and followed up with a phone call. I'm already impressed with their customer service.
I knew the XLR folks would come through. Before you sign on the dotted line, go over everything with a fine tooth comb... including decor, AC options, GVWR, TW, Cargo capacity, axles and tires... Don't ask how I know.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 08-18-2016, 09:44 AM   #7

WW thanks for the tips. I'm currently in a pinch to sale my 11 yo motorhome hopefully at a higher price than I will get on trade for an XLR. Reality is I probably will not get a higher price.

But that is price we pay to roam the county at will viewing and experiencing things others can only dream of, all the while sleeping in your own bed.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:48 AM   #8

thats so true. I tested the waters selling my 29 and only had a lowball offer.
ww

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 08-27-2016, 09:08 PM   #9

Wink

I have a 2016 29udql5 and have owned it for one year. I owned a XLR 2012 27hfs prior and have been happy with both units pertaining to quality. I would get the double pane windows. I last camped in July in Tn with 95 deg. in the day and about 78-80 at night with very high humidity. My camper was in direct sun for half the day and you could feel the heat on the windows with the shades pulled. The air kept up pretty good but it ran a lot and the garage was definitely warmer than the rest of the coach. I think if I was to install a second air unit I would want it in the garage, but my came prewired for a second air unit in the front bedroom. Mine does not have the extreme pkg. and when it gets really hot like I mentioned above, you can tell the heat is trying to penetrate. This is while being in direct sunlight a majority of the day. If parked in the shade it would make a big difference. I keep my thermostat on 75, so I'm pretty tolerant of the heat. Double pane windows and a second air unit and my wife might have to put on a jacket!

I have the generator on board which is in the front and adds to tongue weight. It being a Toyhauler it has a heavier tongue weight to offset the weight when you load a couple heavy Harleys in the back. Loaded for camping with some bicycles and kayaks in back it weighs about 13,500 lbs. with +/- 2,700 lb. tongue weight. As I said the generator adds weight to the front.

I picked the 29udql5 because I was very happy with my prior XLR product and I wanted a fifth wheel under 40ft. Tip to tip it is 37 ft. Size wise it is tall, I believe it is 13'6" if my memory is correct.

I have not dealt with the factory, but the only thing that has needed attention was the led lit "XLR" on the control board went out and the dealer replaced it.

Sorry for the long reply, but I thought I would make up for all the 29udql'ers that did not reply to your post.
phildrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:19 AM   #10

Thanks for all of the replies. It looks like for 2017 this model has the loft, angled TV, King Bed all standard. These are changes we wanted so still very interested in XLR.
Old 08-30-2016, 02:48 PM   #11

We have the 2016 305VL5... Two a/c's and they keep up well, even here in the GA heat and humidity...

The double bunks in the garage are a definite plus. We take guests, family, and the gkids at different times when we aren't hauling the toys ( 3 atvs ) with us.. They have their own private sleeping area.

So far only nit picky little issues... The biggest being they did not hook up the satellite jack in the kitchen area. Pulled the jack off the wall and no cable, not just undone, NO CABLE... I will track this down and fix it myself...

Good luck with your search...
Old 08-30-2016, 05:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkshp366 View Post
We have the 2016 305VL5...
Was wondering, does the VL models give you more clearance with short bed trucks. Is that the reason for that design?
Old 08-30-2016, 08:17 PM   #13

Yes sir.. I believe so..

The v front gives me more clearance to turn in and back up..

We tow with a 2006 Chevy 2500 regular bed..

Have not had to use the slider hitch yet.. ( yet lol )....
blkshp366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 04:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by florabama View Post
Was wondering, does the VL models give you more clearance with short bed trucks. Is that the reason for that design?

That's what we were told at the rally.
breezyhillfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 11:29 AM   #15

I second WW's comments about having a toy hauler...I don't think I would ever have another camper that wasn't a TH. Even if I didn't have the bikes to haul, the garage is a great place for storage when camping, hanging clothes/towels to dry, taking off your shoes if they're wet/muddy before going into your main living areas, using it as a deck with the roll-down screen, and yes, even having guests (notice I listed that one last!)

The XLRs have drum brakes. I think discs are only an expensive aftermarket option...
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 02:54 PM   #16

We were at the RV show in Hershey,Pa. this past weekend. We ordered a 2017 XLR Nitro 29DK5. Same as the other 29(shortened up model number). Talked to the XLR factory rep there. Very knowledgeable. You can get residential fridge but will operate on electric only. We opted for the extreme weather package(live in Pa.). NOS package and VIP. This is going to be our last rv. Retiring in a few years. Loading up the Harley and doing some traveling. We are trading in our Vengeance SS. Only had it since March, but had it to dealer 8 times for minor and major problems. Took a heck of a loss on this TH. XLR 4 to 6 weeks out. We're going camping when we get it. Any questions on this model, I can probably answer them for you. Had an indepth conversation with rep on every inch of this thing.

Tags
xlr