Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2011, 10:53 PM   #1

Do you like the XRL 29MBV Toy Hauler

My wife and I are seriously considering buying a new 2011 XLR 29MBV. We would love to hear from current owners to get your opinion on this trailer.
Let us know if you are happy with the trailer and any feedback or suggestions you have will be appreciated.

Several specific questions we have are:

Does having the rear bedroom in the cargo area cause any problems for you ?

Is the sleeping area on the front couch work if you want to sleep on it when you do not unload the cargo area?

Can you fit two batteries in the enclosed battery area up front?

We are considering the extreem package, adding a awning over the slide, and a fan in the front area roof vent. Anything else you might recommend?

Thanks for all of your comments!

Jim & Nicky
Linnemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:43 PM   #2

Linnemj,
I purchased one of the 29MBV's in Sept of last year. We love the TH.

1.You will need a good truck as it is heavy loaded with Harleys and it has a heavy tongue weight. I tried to haul it with 1/2 ton Ford with a good tow package and It was too much for it. I did use but not with bikes in it or long trips.

2.The rear bed is in the way a lot for us because I changed out the bed for a better one. It still will go up and work, but I am going to upgrade to a bed with post's that will go up and down an a rail system. I build prototype equipment for a living.

3.The sleeping area is good for my grand children but not for anyone older than 6 years old.

4. I have 2 battery's in the front battery box. Works fine.

One thing that I think could be better is a place to mount a generator. There is no where to do this. I carryit in my TT. I did not get the extreme package and probably would if I had ordered it. It was on the floor as I bought it. It comes as a very good unit that we like very much. Since we bought it in Sept. we have already been camping about 12 times. It has been a very well built unit. I like the 23 ft awning, it really makes a great covered spot. I did take out the dinning room table and replaced with recliners, because it was to small for me.

I would say this TH is very good to anyone as a whole.

2012 Super Crew 4WD 6.7 PSD
2015 Cardinal 3800 FL
2007 Road King Black Cherry-Hers
2007 Road King Blue-Mine
1979 FXS Hot Rod Shovelhead
Jestercyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestercyco View Post
Linnemj,
I purchased one of the 29MBV's in Sept of last year. We love the TH.

1.You will need a good truck as it is heavy loaded with Harleys and it has a heavy tongue weight. I tried to haul it with 1/2 ton Ford with a good tow package and It was too much for it. I did use but not with bikes in it or long trips.

2.The rear bed is in the way a lot for us because I changed out the bed for a better one. It still will go up and work, but I am going to upgrade to a bed with post's that will go up and down an a rail system. I build prototype equipment for a living.

3.The sleeping area is good for my grand children but not for anyone older than 6 years old.

4. I have 2 battery's in the front battery box. Works fine.

One thing that I think could be better is a place to mount a generator. There is no where to do this. I carryit in my TT. I did not get the extreme package and probably would if I had ordered it. It was on the floor as I bought it. It comes as a very good unit that we like very much. Since we bought it in Sept. we have already been camping about 12 times. It has been a very well built unit. I like the 23 ft awning, it really makes a great covered spot. I did take out the dinning room table and replaced with recliners, because it was to small for me.

I would say this TH is very good to anyone as a whole.
I am also interested in this trailer. I stopped by the one and only dealer in Colorado that carry these and they told me they will not stock them. They will gladly order me one but will not carry them on the lot. That is bummer because I really wanted to see one in person before buying. Does the rig have a propane port on the outside for a grill or burner? How much clearance is under the trailer to the ground? I would love to see some pics if you have them. Thanks,

Steve
madbare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:09 PM   #4

madbare,
The unit does not have a propane port for the outside. It would be easy to add one .The trailer has a lot of clearance to the ground. i will try to get pics for you but it will be later this week. Check out Texas RV Dealer | Fun Town RV in Cleburne Texas | Forest River | Coachmen | Gulf Stream RV at the TH section to look at our trailer we bought from them. It is the 1 that is marked sold. You can PM me if you have any specific questions on this TT. We have a daughter in CO that we will be seeing, but not until sometime in June.
Jester

2015 Cardinal 3800 FL
2007 Road King Blue-Mine
Old 03-23-2011, 06:35 PM   #5

We are ready to order this unit this week. We will order the drop down happi-jac bed in the rear as well as the options I listed in my previous post. As we spent 2 years looking at under 33' toy haulers, we found there are no perfect units. The 29MBV should work well for us.
Honda ST1100
BMW R1100R
Old 03-23-2011, 09:50 PM   #6

Thanks for the info Jester. That is sure a nice looking rig and I think would fit our family perfectly! Can't wait to see your pics! Now I have to try to get rid of my Roo 232 hybrid.

Linnemj, I didn't see where you could get a different style bed in the back other than the murphy bed? Is that something new they are now offering?

Steve
Old 03-24-2011, 08:35 PM   #7

Happi Jac Rear Bed

My wife and I really like this trailer but where concerned about the Murphy Bed in the rear area. I made contact with a Forest River manufautuer rep while we were at the Houston RV show. We had several discussions via e-mail and found out that they would replace the Murphy Bed with a Happi Jac bed as an option. We had a choice of adding either a single bed or the double bed (one above the other). The double bed's lower bed will convert into a two bench setup with a table in the middle. You face the sidewalls of the cargo area with this set up. We decided on the single bed since my wife and I will be the primary users of our trailer almost all the time with no company. We did not see sharing the bedroom area with others on the occassions we may have overnight guests. We also talked with Jester who made mention that this way we could store items on the bed while it was near the ceiling. When the bed is lowered into sleeping position, the items could be stores under the bed area. The only downside to the happi jac bed is the additonal price (approx $1,400 for the single) and the position of the rear side door which will be partically blocked by the bed when it is down. The door opens out so it still could be used as an emergency exit. Feel free to PM me with any questions.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:48 PM   #8

That is awesome! I like the idea of the happi-jac beds! With the kids I think the double would be perfect! You will have to post some pics when you get it. Man, I am trying to hold off one more year but the temptation is so great!
Old 03-25-2011, 07:35 AM   #9

Linnemj,
If you do order this TH with the Happy Jac, I would like some pics of the bed. I will be building or purchasing one for mine. Please let me know if you get one.
Jester

2015 Cardinal 3800 FL
2007 Road King Blue-Mine
Old 03-26-2011, 09:04 AM   #10

We went and ordered the unit yesterday and it should arrive in late May or early June. Jesterco - thanks for the advice, we did order the single happi-jac bed. I will send you some photos when we get it home so you can reverse engineer it for your unit.

I ended up going with all of the options listed in the earlier post with a granite (charcoal gray) interior. We did not get the carpet in the bedroom or the TV since I can do that cheaper locally.

Next step is to do a complete inspection when we pick it up. Jesterco - any specific areas that you have problems or concerns with that we should pay particular attention to?

We are looking forward to giving it a good test this summer and I will post a complete review.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:03 AM   #11

Linnemj,
We do not have any issues as of now. I was real specific on looking and making them explain everything. If I saw it, they explained it to me. When they show you the levers for dumping the tanks, mark them as to which is which tank(2 greys and 1 Black). It will help you when you dump the first time. If they are putting on your WDH, go to whomever's hitch web site that your are getting and check their installation of that exact hitch set up. Do it before you go to pick it up. If I had done that , I would have known more about the installation. I did not like the way the dealer installed it. I went to Equal-i-zer hitch and downloaded their instructions and re-did the set-up.
Good luck with the new trailer. I know you will like it very much.

Jester

2015 Cardinal 3800 FL
2007 Road King Blue-Mine
Old 04-04-2011, 10:21 PM   #12

I took time this weekend to review the Equalizer hitch installation guide. What did the dealer do on the install that made you rework the setup? Do you have the 1400 hitch?

Thanks!
Honda ST1100
BMW R1100R
Old 04-05-2011, 07:04 AM   #13

I have the 1200 hitch. I did not like that way truck set. I think that this might be just my preference. It was not off much but, I just like to know about the set up and what changes it might effect the towing of the TH. As far as the towing, I noticed a little difference(not that much).

2015 Cardinal 3800 FL
2007 Road King Blue-Mine
Old 04-05-2011, 10:17 PM   #14

Have you considered the 29CKV? Mine has the double HappyJack bed and the gen compartment. I just added an LP gen and am very happy with it.
rcpd34 is offline   Reply With Quote