Old 06-12-2013, 07:11 AM   #11

Extension cord blown out / shorted. I think water got inside the cord and caused this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130612_071005.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	32936

Old 06-12-2013, 07:34 AM   #12
Site Team - Lou

You are very lucky you did not have a fire at your camper. That cord is a lawn tool sized extension cord - 14 Gauge (6 - 8 amps maximum in a 100 foot cord - like a hedge trimmer).

Did you plug that cord into a 20 amp circuit? If so, the wire was "undersized" for the circuit and failed due to having too much current drawn through it.

Additionally, like any extension cord, the voltage drops as it is "consumed" by the wire's length (resistance loss) when current flows through it. This actually increases as the length of run increases.

The loss becomes heat and the wire's resistance goes up as it gets hotter. A vicious cycle that results in eventual failure.

The cure is the correct sized cord for your anticipated current load and length of run.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130211_082322 (1).jpg
Views:	57
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	32939   Click image for larger version

Name:	ohms-law-illustrated.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	32940  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ampacity2010.pdf (111.4 KB, 7 views)

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martins5547 View Post
Extension cord blown out / shorted. I think water got inside the cord and caused this.

Attachment 32936
Looks like the grandkids got too close with a lawnmower! Youroo!!
Old 06-17-2013, 08:46 AM   #14

Update:..... I have done away with the extension cord all together. I branched off of a 15 amp circuit in my garage that is rarely used, drilled a hole through the wall and then ran weatherproof conduit to the corner of the garage. I wired a GFI and an weatherproof receptacle cover so i can now plug the camper supply line directly to the plug. Back in business.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:55 AM   #15
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Update:..... I have done away with the extension cord all together. I branched off of a 15 amp circuit in my garage that is rarely used, drilled a hole through the wall and then ran weatherproof conduit to the corner of the garage. I wired a GFI and an weatherproof receptacle cover so i can now plug the camper supply line directly to the plug. Back in business.
This should work fine for keeping the battery charged and the fridge cold. You might get tired of running back and forth resetting tripped breakers if anyone used that "rarely used" circuit or tries the air conditioner while loading.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:47 AM   #16

For those of you mechanically inclined you can get rebuilt refrigerators coils and replace them yourself. Can save you quite a bit of money.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:57 AM   #17

Keeping the fridge cold is the main thing. When loading, I pull the camper out from the back side of the garage and position it in front of the garage door. From there, I pull the ramp down (toy hauler) and we load everything from the back in about 20 minutes. (clothes, food, then golf cart, fire wood, kids bikes, etc. etc.) We prep nearly everything that needs to be loaded and then we get the assembly line going. Kids bring us stuff and we put it away and then off we go. Same with unloading. Stuff comes out of the camper, into the garage and then the camper gets parked and plugged in. The wife and I are starting to get our process streamlined. If i needed to run the A/C, I would bring the generator out and run it off of that to cool it down.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:00 AM   #18

Quote:
Problem found and fixed. Upon extensive research, I found that my extension cord that is providing shore power, had shorted out and the cord nearly blew apart. I didnt take the time to test other appliances until then. I grabbed my wall socket tester and started poking around and found that the wall sockets in the camper were not testing right. I then tried to turn on a tv but it wouldnt come on. I then realized that i was on 12 volt power. I traced the cord and found that it was broken. Replaced the cord and now everything seems to be back to where it was. My wife and I were racking our brains trying to figure out what was the problem. Thank goodness we found and fixed it. I think what i may do is put a 30 amp service off the side of my house so i can run everything if i need to.
Finding that damaged cord may have saved a fire at some point in the future.

Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote