Old 08-03-2015, 06:15 AM   #1
Dometic refrigerator

Can anyone tell me if this is common for the dometic refrig. in my XLR?
Usually prefer to hook up electric and turn on the refrigerator before leaving to camp or fill the refrigerator. I finally turned it on when we got to camp. We were on electric but it took 24 hours to cool the refrigerator down and 12 hours for freezer. Is that common? I turned on the gas an had it on auto, no real difference. I am worried this needs repaired or replaced. I noticed the check light came on for a few minutes but I recycled it and it went out.

Wolf, how did yours act before it went out?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

laurajean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 06:25 AM   #2
Did you fill the refrigerator with lots of stuff that was not yet cold?

2016 Rockwood Windjammer 3029W Diamond
2015 Chevy 3500HD LTZ 6.0 Crew Cab 4x4 Long Bed 4.10:1 SRW
nomad297 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 06:26 AM   #3
That is normal to take 24 hours to cool down. Try turning it on a day ahead of time.
2016 Flagstaff 23lb
Toddupton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 06:43 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
Originally Posted by Toddupton View Post
That is normal to take 24 hours to cool down. Try turning it on a day ahead of time.

08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "24 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 06:49 AM   #5
and how cold do they get? Its 94 here...the ice cream, etc is soft. Running on gas
DennisTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:05 AM   #6
DennisTD, is it 94 degrees outside, or inside your motorhome? Did you adjust the slider on the fins inside the fridge to a colder setting?
KQ2N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:07 AM   #7
Mine does not have a temp adjustment slider. It was 94 outside but we we gone all day so probably that hot inside at least.
DennisTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:11 AM   #8
My fridge has worked perfectly; it was my AC that failed.

When I load my warn fridge, I turn it on first then load precooled food and frozen things, including containers of ice in the freezer about a day ahead and only load a few items not cold. The fuller the better. I almost always use 120 vac before travel.

There us no perceptible warming of what I load.

I make sure gas is available and box is on auto and after unplugging it, it is happy on gas... no check light. I've seen the check light If it failed to light for whatever reason. I usually turn on a burner until I smell propane to purge most of the line of air.

I've used it in 100+ degrees in it keeps icecream well. Dometic got this right. And it works just as well on propane.
XLR Hyperlite 29HFS
Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
Triumph Thunderbird

A Modder's work is never done!
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:19 AM   #9
I turn mine on the evening before a camping weekend. Turn it on Thursday evening when its cooler outside then by Friday morning your ready to load it up with food. It is an absorption type fridg. with no internal moving parts so it takes it longer to get the interior of the fridg cooled down. Optional exterior fans on the condenser and optional cooling fans on the interior will help a lot in performance of the cooling capability of your fridg. in summer heat. Some come with cooling fans on the exterior condenser but not on the interior. An interior cooling fin fan will help to maintain good temp throughout the interior of the fridg.
2014 Palomino Columbus 3650TH
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:26 AM   #10
My previous trailer had a Norcold and it cooled very quickly. I could turn it on when loading the frige and it would get cold in a couple hours. My new trailer has the dometic and I too was wondering if something was wrong. Also the temperature adjustment (thermistor) is extremely touchy.

Nitro 31FQSL

R3Jones is offline   Reply With Quote

dometic, refrigerator