Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2015, 12:29 PM   #1

exterior clearance lighting

Strangest thing, the just the upper exterior clearance lighting on our 2014 XLR 27hfs has gone out. I thought perhaps it maybe a fuse or a connection but I have no idea where to look for the wiring or the fuse, and I cant really trace the wires back because they are buried in the frame some place. Would anybody know where to begin to look? The main fuse panel just has the interior items on it, although i do see a few empty locations in the box i don't think they are related to the exterior lighting
Berjr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:27 PM   #2

Did you check the bulbs?

US Army Retired
Tx_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:11 PM   #3

If a bunch of lights on one circuit are out (but not others, like the tails or other side clearance lights,) you might have a bad ground in that group of light assemblies. But they're all run to one ground location...
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 06:59 AM   #4

The bulbs are all LED, The lights that are out are all the upper clearance lights, The ground maybe the the thing, or just like a string of Christmas lights first bulb is bad they all go out

I will see if i can find the ground for them, there is a nest of stuff near the battery ill start there first and clean them all up thanks for the help

B
Berjr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 07:25 AM   #5
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Trailer lights generally not "Union" lights (one goes out-they all go out ) Your ground is the first best place to look.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 07:59 AM   #6

Lights are not in series. I would a swap one of these with a known good bulb and be sure polarity isn't reversed (flipped over) also has any drilling or work been done! Have they ever worked? Remember Occam's Razor.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berjr1 View Post
Strangest thing, the just the upper exterior clearance lighting on our 2014 XLR 27hfs has gone out. I thought perhaps it maybe a fuse or a connection but I have no idea where to look for the wiring or the fuse, and I cant really trace the wires back because they are buried in the frame some place. Would anybody know where to begin to look? The main fuse panel just has the interior items on it, although i do see a few empty locations in the box i don't think they are related to the exterior lighting
Mine go out around every 50 or 75 miles or so. Been doing that since day one. My dealer and FR looked at it and threw there hands up. It would blow my fuse in the truck. I put an autoreset in insead. They think that a staple is causing a short. They told me it is impossible to fine without ripping the whole roof off. So I really don't drive at night so not to worried but I drive in the rain and they should be on when the headlights are required. Good Luck finding the problem. (Everyone keeps pointing fingers FR say's it your truck, took my truck in to get checked they say it's FR.) that's how this whole mess began.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exterior, light