Old 12-24-2015, 06:31 PM   #21

K4C

Come to WA 15ft last few days I the mountain passes closing our main I90 pass for yesterday : today till ?

No shortage of snowmobile area over here just need long track for our type of snow and steep terrain

Old 12-24-2015, 10:07 PM   #22

I've been reading the same on the Ford forums I frequent. Snow and cold everywhere but in the northeast....

Old 12-24-2015, 10:35 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ XLR Thunderbolt View Post
I have a 2015 380AMP with the Extreme Weather Package....just did a test run at 18 degrees in the yard. Set the thermostat at 60, turned on the electric fireplace, and put a 1500 oil heater in garage. The cabin was at 60 and very nice coming off a cold 16-18 degree night. Would admit that most people don't like it at 60 but that was my target to just see how it would go...floor is a bit chilly on feet, but slippers and a hoody were great for the test. Hope to use it for the holidays so I have a retreat from the In-laws if needed.
Turn the Heat Down and put the Inlaws out there! Youroo!!
Old 12-25-2015, 12:41 PM   #24

R values are worthless; it is a fairy tale; marketing tactics. The value does not account for wind and moisture penetration and like was said, as the temperature goes down, so does the value, so the number is a trick number produced by running a laboratory test, not based on the real world.

Rigid foam is usually no more than R-4 to R-7 to the inch and only that if the cavity is filled perfectly. So, within the 4 to 5 inch space in the "attic" (does the Nitro have more than that?) they would have to achieve an R value of almost 8 to the inch based on a 5" attic filled to perfection with high value foam.

If the installer does the insulation work like I suspect they do; leaving gaps, since no one will ever see it... you can finish the sentence.

I would still buy the extreme package, if only to get the double strength windows that typically operate better than the standard single strength.
WW
Old 12-28-2015, 04:34 PM   #25

I agree with PH . extreme package implies can handle some cold weather , at or below freezing for a short time . if boondocking I would expect it to last the hunting season with temps in the 20's at night otherwise it's anything but extreme . since none of the water lines are insulated and valves exposed , FR is going to extreme calling it extreme .
Old 12-28-2015, 04:39 PM   #26

Old 12-28-2015, 05:51 PM   #27

Looks like you're in south Florida
Old 12-29-2015, 05:38 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat View Post
I've been reading the same on the Ford forums I frequent. Snow and cold everywhere but in the northeast....
Hey, didn't you get enough snow up there last year I thought it was still in piles waiting to melt
Old 12-29-2015, 07:32 AM   #29

I like playing in the snow Mike! The wife's favorite "powersport" is sledding. We've sold the ATV's, PWC, and boat, but the skis are here for good. Plus, when you're from New England it just doesn't feel like Christmas without the white stuff. It was 70 Christmas Eve here. Ugh. Finally, the pattern is changing though. We just got our first inch last night. Maine where we ride is getting a foot today and the temps are dropping...
Old 12-29-2015, 09:36 AM   #30
Experience by Repair

SO...here is how I went prepared.
1. Suburban 42k FURNACE with couple propane tanks
2. Electric Oil radiator heater in garage
3. Electric fireplace in camper
4. little electric space heater in cabin
5. Sleeping bags and wool blankets
6. EXTREME WEATHER PACKAGE......I know, I know, I know
7. YES....50 amp service so I have plenty of juice.....
8. no water, just using window wash as emergency toilet use if needed
9. super hot wife(looks and temp) to snuggle up next to....

Keep in mind that the high for the week is looking like 15 deg F. When I hooked up it was 0 on the truck dash. 5 for a high on Sunday with an overnight low of -2. We cranked her up to 65 and went to sleep. 2:30am the furnace decided to take the rest of the day off....OH SNAP! Here we go.... Kept really nice under blankets and son was great on couch with sleeping bag, but it did get down to about 48 in the cabin.

I thought the tanks I had were empty so I grabbed n headed to town for fuel...nope. Heater just quit after 7 hrs of running. Filled tanks anyway so felt better. Hooked up and turned on. Fan ran, lighter ignited...off...cycled twice again. NO GO! Spent the next 3 hrs following FR Forum on furnace issues...reset valves and regulator...slowly! All that...finally took outside cover off and reset switch on motor...started to cycle, ignition, gas, heat...off. After 3rd cycle I used the primitive method of the fist rapidly on the fan motor shaking the whole damn thing. After 3-4 repetitions of that I have had heat for 16 hours...EUREKA! Bang on it in frustration!!!!

OK....set thermostat at 63 with electric heaters and was AWESOME ALL NIGHT. Furnace only cycled 2x per hour for a few minutes and we all were toasty warm all night. 2 down and 4 to go. I will follow up with detail