Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2015, 06:31 PM   #21

K4C

Come to WA 15ft last few days I the mountain passes closing our main I90 pass for yesterday : today till ?

No shortage of snowmobile area over here just need long track for our type of snow and steep terrain
Play Harder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 10:07 PM   #22

I've been reading the same on the Ford forums I frequent. Snow and cold everywhere but in the northeast....
Karl4Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 10:35 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ XLR Thunderbolt View Post
I have a 2015 380AMP with the Extreme Weather Package....just did a test run at 18 degrees in the yard. Set the thermostat at 60, turned on the electric fireplace, and put a 1500 oil heater in garage. The cabin was at 60 and very nice coming off a cold 16-18 degree night. Would admit that most people don't like it at 60 but that was my target to just see how it would go...floor is a bit chilly on feet, but slippers and a hoody were great for the test. Hope to use it for the holidays so I have a retreat from the In-laws if needed.
Turn the Heat Down and put the Inlaws out there! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 12:41 PM   #24

R values are worthless; it is a fairy tale; marketing tactics. The value does not account for wind and moisture penetration and like was said, as the temperature goes down, so does the value, so the number is a trick number produced by running a laboratory test, not based on the real world.

Rigid foam is usually no more than R-4 to R-7 to the inch and only that if the cavity is filled perfectly. So, within the 4 to 5 inch space in the "attic" (does the Nitro have more than that?) they would have to achieve an R value of almost 8 to the inch based on a 5" attic filled to perfection with high value foam.

If the installer does the insulation work like I suspect they do; leaving gaps, since no one will ever see it... you can finish the sentence.

I would still buy the extreme package, if only to get the double strength windows that typically operate better than the standard single strength.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 04:34 PM   #25

I agree with PH . extreme package implies can handle some cold weather , at or below freezing for a short time . if boondocking I would expect it to last the hunting season with temps in the 20's at night otherwise it's anything but extreme . since none of the water lines are insulated and valves exposed , FR is going to extreme calling it extreme .
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 04:39 PM   #26

Old 12-28-2015, 05:51 PM   #27

Looks like you're in south Florida

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 12-29-2015, 05:38 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat View Post
I've been reading the same on the Ford forums I frequent. Snow and cold everywhere but in the northeast....
Hey, didn't you get enough snow up there last year I thought it was still in piles waiting to melt
MightyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 07:32 AM   #29

I like playing in the snow Mike! The wife's favorite "powersport" is sledding. We've sold the ATV's, PWC, and boat, but the skis are here for good. Plus, when you're from New England it just doesn't feel like Christmas without the white stuff. It was 70 Christmas Eve here. Ugh. Finally, the pattern is changing though. We just got our first inch last night. Maine where we ride is getting a foot today and the temps are dropping...
Old 12-29-2015, 09:36 AM   #30
Experience by Repair

SO...here is how I went prepared.
1. Suburban 42k FURNACE with couple propane tanks
2. Electric Oil radiator heater in garage
3. Electric fireplace in camper
4. little electric space heater in cabin
5. Sleeping bags and wool blankets
6. EXTREME WEATHER PACKAGE......I know, I know, I know
7. YES....50 amp service so I have plenty of juice.....
8. no water, just using window wash as emergency toilet use if needed
9. super hot wife(looks and temp) to snuggle up next to....

Keep in mind that the high for the week is looking like 15 deg F. When I hooked up it was 0 on the truck dash. 5 for a high on Sunday with an overnight low of -2. We cranked her up to 65 and went to sleep. 2:30am the furnace decided to take the rest of the day off....OH SNAP! Here we go.... Kept really nice under blankets and son was great on couch with sleeping bag, but it did get down to about 48 in the cabin.

I thought the tanks I had were empty so I grabbed n headed to town for fuel...nope. Heater just quit after 7 hrs of running. Filled tanks anyway so felt better. Hooked up and turned on. Fan ran, lighter ignited...off...cycled twice again. NO GO! Spent the next 3 hrs following FR Forum on furnace issues...reset valves and regulator...slowly! All that...finally took outside cover off and reset switch on motor...started to cycle, ignition, gas, heat...off. After 3rd cycle I used the primitive method of the fist rapidly on the fan motor shaking the whole damn thing. After 3-4 repetitions of that I have had heat for 16 hours...EUREKA! Bang on it in frustration!!!!

OK....set thermostat at 63 with electric heaters and was AWESOME ALL NIGHT. Furnace only cycled 2x per hour for a few minutes and we all were toasty warm all night. 2 down and 4 to go. I will follow up with detail
JJ XLR Thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 09:45 AM   #31

WW yes in south Fl . picture was may20th or so in west yellowstone . i use the AC all winter and the heat all summer
Old 12-29-2015, 10:45 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ XLR Thunderbolt View Post
SO...here is how I went prepared.
1. Suburban 42k FURNACE with couple propane tanks
2. Electric Oil radiator heater in garage
3. Electric fireplace in camper
4. little electric space heater in cabin
5. Sleeping bags and wool blankets
6. EXTREME WEATHER PACKAGE......I know, I know, I know
7. YES....50 amp service so I have plenty of juice.....
8. no water, just using window wash as emergency toilet use if needed
9. super hot wife(looks and temp) to snuggle up next to....

Keep in mind that the high for the week is looking like 15 deg F. When I hooked up it was 0 on the truck dash. 5 for a high on Sunday with an overnight low of -2. We cranked her up to 65 and went to sleep. 2:30am the furnace decided to take the rest of the day off....OH SNAP! Here we go.... Kept really nice under blankets and son was great on couch with sleeping bag, but it did get down to about 48 in the cabin.

I thought the tanks I had were empty so I grabbed n headed to town for fuel...nope. Heater just quit after 7 hrs of running. Filled tanks anyway so felt better. Hooked up and turned on. Fan ran, lighter ignited...off...cycled twice again. NO GO! Spent the next 3 hrs following FR Forum on furnace issues...reset valves and regulator...slowly! All that...finally took outside cover off and reset switch on motor...started to cycle, ignition, gas, heat...off. After 3rd cycle I used the primitive method of the fist rapidly on the fan motor shaking the whole damn thing. After 3-4 repetitions of that I have had heat for 16 hours...EUREKA! Bang on it in frustration!!!!

OK....set thermostat at 63 with electric heaters and was AWESOME ALL NIGHT. Furnace only cycled 2x per hour for a few minutes and we all were toasty warm all night. 2 down and 4 to go. I will follow up with detail
Great report! Sorry for the troubles. I wonder if when the furnace cycled off during the night, condensation formed and then froze locking up the fan and your "method" released the freeze? Just a guess.
Old 12-29-2015, 01:49 PM   #33

On our 380AMP there was a wire hanging touching the fan cage eventually it snagged and the fan cage flew apart.... hopefully this doesn't happen.
Cow Bell
2010 Star Motorcycle Stratoliner Deluxe
chpence1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 02:05 PM   #34

i agree the extreme weather package is far from being extreme. But, it does have its benefits!

Its more suited to the guys that go out late season and see a few days here and there of below freezing temps. It is in no way suitable for trouble free camping at sustained temperatures below freezing.

I can say that i am impressed that my XLR does as good as it does in the cold. I live in my unit year round! As long as their isnt too much wind, theirs no issue with freezing up down to about -10c(14f), if its windy the cold water line that loops around to the back of the "cavity" and up to the water heater tends to freeze. If using my skirting is not an option, i just hook the outside shower hose to the fresh water tank fill (side by side in the compartment on my unit) and crack the hot water tap open just a hair. The trickle of warm water circulating to the tank ensures that the fill line doesnt freeze as well as keeping the cold water line to the water heater from freezing.

Generally i prefer to set up my skirting when temps are below freezing. Ive been in -38c(-37f) with some windy days and the skirting (1x2" framed panels with 2" foam insulation inside) along with a little space heater was enough to keep everything from freezing up without having to do the ol water loopback trick LOL

Also, the mention earlier i the thread that the furnace would be running constant in below freezing temps is BS! Or in my case anyways. at -20c(-4f) my furnace only runs about 50% duty cycle (10min on, 10min off) and im not supplementing with any electrical heat other than a little 600w heater i turn on when im sitting on the couch as it does get a little cool in the living room slide. The garage i tend to keep unheated unless in use. the electric fireplace (1300w) is enough to keep it comfortable down to about -10c, anything cooler than that adding another space heater and/or keeping the slide door open keeps it toasty in the garage.

In the end, to answer the OPs question outright. Get the E.W.P and definitely get the second A/C
Old 12-29-2015, 07:21 PM   #35

Ykdave, what do you consider comfortable.. degrees?

How can you be impressed with the XLR (in the cold) while saying it isn't suited for more than a few days in freezing weather but you full time in it?

Did I read right; you don't heat the garage at temps below freezing? Brrrrrrrr!!

I would own something like a Arctic Fox if I lived and camped in the cold for sure or full timed in a trailer. My hats off to you my friend.

So what is no way José as far as low temps for RVin' is another mans short sleeve shirt day.. I am making a note if the hot water loop trick... in case I ever get stuck too far north too late in the season. Thank the Lord there are wheels on my XLR... Love that.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 12-30-2015, 10:53 AM   #36

Wouldn't the extra insulation work for both hot and cold environments?
I can understand the necessity for heated hoses in winter and the need to make sure rear bathroom and associated plumbing inside garage are managed.
Some of the best camping is in the off season for others.
The extra propane tank can be beneficial if needed in some situations.
Keeping a set of chains in storage can also be handy if needed for those cold environments.
Cow Bell
2010 Star Motorcycle Stratoliner Deluxe
chpence1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 11:06 AM   #37
Experience by Repair

Temps out yesterday at 19 F and I had an internal cabin temp of 73 F when I came back from the I laws house. Just had my fireplace, oil heater n little toe heater going. Pretty impressed with the temps....no furnace running. I agree skirting would be great if I did much of this camping. 0 again this morning and toasty warm with furnace cycling once an hour at the most. Next time I go out I will try some water to see how my attention to all your details help. Not an issue right now as I am parked 100' from the house n have those luxuries to count on.
JJ XLR Thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 01:53 PM   #38

JJ, I assume the FP is electric.. Watts? The oil heater and the little one? WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 12-30-2015, 01:59 PM   #39

I have a plan for a solar window heater I'm going to put in the shop as soon as I generate another 50 or so aluminum drink cans. I bet one could be built from mostly Styrofoam & plexiglass, on front, to save on weight. It sits on the ground like a PV panel would; with two ducts (supply and return); with a small solar powered ( or 12v) fan exchanging air through a window or hole(s) in the wall. Its hard to get serious about that when its 87F today.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 12-30-2015, 03:31 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
Ykdave, what do you consider comfortable.. degrees?

How can you be impressed with the XLR (in the cold) while saying it isn't suited for more than a few days in freezing weather but you full time in it?

Did I read right; you don't heat the garage at temps below freezing? Brrrrrrrr!!

I would own something like a Arctic Fox if I lived and camped in the cold for sure or full timed in a trailer. My hats off to you my friend.

So what is no way José as far as low temps for RVin' is another mans short sleeve shirt day.. I am making a note if the hot water loop trick... in case I ever get stuck too far north too late in the season. Thank the Lord there are wheels on my XLR... Love that.
WW
I keep it around 70f (21-22c), plenty comfortable for me anyways and as stated the furnace only runs about 50% at -20c to hold that temp.

The unit as shipped is not suitable for trouble free extended cold weather operation. As stated, the only real issue is water line freezing as the lines tend to be strung along the outer edges of the belly and lay against the frame rails and crossmembers. Which can be taken care of quite easily with some skirting or dry-camping if your into that kinda fun LOL

Also, why would i pay to heat the garage while not in use? Thats a pretty big space, not to mention you lose the enclosed water/sewer tank cavity under the unit a couple feet into the garage due to the fuel tanks which makes the floor pretty cold (my skirting only goes as far back as the last crossmember infront of the fuel tanks where the enclosed belly stops). Although it is a pretty big chunk of living space if one needs it, i use my garage as an office and storage space. doesnt take long to get the garage space up to room temp when i need it.