Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2016, 02:19 PM   #1

Finally in!!

Well my new XLR 29HFS is finally in dealer doing inspection over weekend, picking it up next weekend.

One note dealer told me unit arrived with a cracked countertop??!!! What could have caused this? What should I look for?

I downloaded the PDI checklist and planned to get over everything with a fine tooth comb. Cracked countertop concerns me.
nybigdog82162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 03:10 PM   #2
I go RV'ing not Camping

It could have cracked with a change in temperature, too hot too cold too fast, or just cracked from being hauled with the flexing of the trailer.
1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 03:23 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Or... it could have been cracked before it was installed.
From what I can tell, that would likely not have stopped them from installing/using it even if they had seen it.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybigdog82162 View Post
Well my new XLR 29HFS is finally in dealer doing inspection over weekend, picking it up next weekend.

One note dealer told me unit arrived with a cracked countertop??!!! What could have caused this? What should I look for?

I downloaded the PDI checklist and planned to get over everything with a fine tooth comb. Cracked countertop concerns me.
most likely installed cracked . the bad part about this will be getting another from FR that shows up in good condition , is the right color , can be installed by someone that will do it right . had a unit if FL that we got 6 counter tops all came broken the unit was still there when i left a month ago and had sat at the dealers for 5 months waiting on a good counter top . not meaning to scare you but be aware .don't pay off untill it's fixed do not sign off on the unit and accept delivery until fixed IMO
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:21 PM   #5
Site Team

Do not sign any paperwork until the counter top is fixed. The dealer will want their money and tell you to sign for it and bring it back when the counter top comes in and they will fix it. Once you sign papers and the dealer gets paid, you lose all leverage and will just get in line. Tell them once the counter is repaired correctly, you will come back and sign the paperwork.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:26 PM   #6

I'd like to be happy for you, however, I don't have a clue as to what a XLR 29HFS RV is!!! It sure would be nice if you (and others)would put a brief description of your unit to help those of us that don't have the "alphabet soup" of RV models memorized!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
I'd like to be happy for you, however, I don't have a clue as to what a XLR 29HFS RV is!!! It sure would be nice if you (and others)would put a brief description of your unit to help those of us that don't have the "alphabet soup" of RV models memorized!
I feel the same . Still don't know what a Q26-rfs-sc is . haha
XRL toyhauler 29' travel trailer . about 34'11" over all

i can never seem to get pictures to load but i know others have them on their avatar
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:20 AM   #8

Picked it up, walk through went fine, really found only minor things. Counter top "crack" is really only a chip, very small.

Towed great, I think it towed easier than my 20' Hybrid (no WDH).

Only issue was getting the Equalizer hitch, un-hitched. Man what a bear, would not release from ball. Couple whacks with rubber mallet and it finally released.

Also could not get one of the the bars off. Dealer said to slide them straight out...brother shows up, has same hitch, & says those bars are suppose to swing out to the side to remove.

Bolts where bar sockets are, way to tight, they don't even budge.

Old 05-29-2016, 09:32 AM   #9

Just an FYI for new Equalizer Hitch owners... If your tension bars are hard to move or will not budge. Get some grease on the socket surfaces where it meets the housing.

As stated earlier even after i backed the nuts complete off I barely could move the bars in and out. Decided to pull the sockets from the head, got em off (with effort) and discovered zero grease and the mated surfaces were totally full of pealed paint with a rubbery tar like substance.

All surfaces were galled & very rough and pitting. Cleaned it all up took some 400 grit wet/dry paper and smooth things up, greased all surfaces with the recommended Equalizer grease (light blue stuff) & reinstalled sockets. (required a dead blow hammer to get em back in)

Re torqued to 45-50ft lbs....much, much better!!! QC at Equalizer could have been better..
Old 06-04-2016, 09:33 PM   #10

I that a half ton or HD your to toning with? If half does it tow ok? Going to be similar to our setup.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricV View Post
I that a half ton or HD your to toning with? If half does it tow ok? Going to be similar to our setup.
No, it's a 2500HD 3/4 Ton
Old 06-14-2016, 09:52 PM   #12

How are you enjoying the 29HFS? We are going to pick ours up Thursday and planning our maiden voyage for Sunday.
Thanks!

Any other things to be on the lookout for while at dealership?

Jaime
Teamrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamrussell View Post
How are you enjoying the 29HFS? We are going to pick ours up Thursday and planning our maiden voyage for Sunday.
Thanks!

Any other things to be on the lookout for while at dealership?

Jaime

Love it so far, other than a chip in the counter top, we really have not discovered any large issues/defects.

Going to be loading bike for the first time for a trip this weekend. Anxious to see how that goes...sidecar bike 6' wide