Old 01-31-2016, 02:06 PM   #1

Floor separation from slide?

Anyone had their floor separate the side wall of the slide? Not the flooring, but actual floor structure.

My camper is at the dealer for other warranty work, and when going over some stuff I put the slide out and noticed the floor at the front had almost completely detached from the side wall. Dealer tech told me it happens a lot.

They said it's from stepping on the floor with the slide in, but I don't do that. Plus, where it happened you can't really step with it in. I think it's from the couch, driving, and poor construction. Nevertheless, I can see it is screwed in poorly. They run screws from the wall down to the floor and the screws are barely into the floor. So the solution is to run screws in from the bottom. Just curious if it's happened to others yet.

Not overly impressed with that happening on a new unit...

Old 01-31-2016, 02:32 PM   #2
Site Team

Check the pics on my thread below and see if that's what happened to yours. I surmised that the sofabed bouncing when traveling, was what caused it, as I don't walk on my retracted slide.

After repairing it (my fix is in the thread), I now place a large shim between the trailer main floor and elevated slide floor now when traveling. This has kept it from happening again.

Super Slide separating at floor

Hope this helps with your similar sounding problem.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 02:46 PM   #3

Looks the same as the separation in mine, but worse. You can't see any signs of it on the exterior, only inside.

I like the shim idea for sake of eliminating it from happening again.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:39 PM   #4
XLR Production

What make and model do you have.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:43 PM   #5
XLR Production

Disregard my previous post. If you can post some pictures. This is not something I've seen or heard of before.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:00 PM   #6

I don't have pictures. The dealer took pictures though. I'm concerned with water having/being able to get in there too. I'll see if I can get pictures from them, or I'm assuming they'll send pictures in.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:26 PM   #7
XLR Production

Could you PM with the last 6 numbers of your VIN and the dealers name that is working on it? I want to look into this closer. As I said earlier, this is not something I've seen before and want to dig into this.
Old 02-01-2016, 01:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Check the pics on my thread below and see if that's what happened to yours. I surmised that the sofabed bouncing when traveling, was what caused it, as I don't walk on my retracted slide.

After repairing it (my fix is in the thread), I now place a large shim between the trailer main floor and elevated slide floor now when traveling. This has kept it from happening again.

Super Slide separating at floor

Hope this helps with your similar sounding problem.
What kind of shim did you use and where? More than one shim? Pics? Thanks for letting us know about this!

2006 GMC Sierra CC 1500 Z71
2014 Palomino Solaire Eclipse 297rlds
Husky Centerline w/d hitch
Retusps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 02:07 PM   #9

Same thing with my 2013 Rockwood ultra lite. Had just arrived at RV park in Palm Desert in early November. While setting up noticed light coming through all along the large slide where the wall meets the floor. There was 1/4" - 1/2" separation. I was not impressed. As in your case the screws that fastened the steel angle iron on the wall to the square aluminium floor tubing were either gone or just hanging loose. None were holding and the aluminium screw holes were enlarged to where they wouldn't hold a new screw. I spent the next three days on my back working on a fix. First I used a bottle jack to realign the floor. It had sagged at least an inch. Then I found some galvanized right angle brackets at Lowe's that are used as 2x6 joist hangers. I positioned six of these along the length of the slide out at even intervals, drilled new holes through the brackets into the steel angle iron and then from underneath into the aluminum tubing securing with new metal screws. In my opinion the floor / wall is stronger than when it left the factory. These particular units are built to be light weight not long lasting. Construction materials are sacrificed to achieve this. Although I don't expect any further issues with this particular problem, when we return home in April I will be selling this trailer and will replace it with one made of stronger components.
Chuck
Old 02-01-2016, 02:35 PM   #10

I'm lucky it's under warranty for getting fixed, and I'm confident it will be improved after like yours is. Thankfully I noticed it off season, while the dealer can get me fixed up. But that said, my issue is if they will fix just the spot it's bad now, or the whole thing so it doesn't happen in a different spot later.

But you saying the aluminum had holes opened to large to allow a screw to hold makes me concerned running a screw up from the bottom will still have issues as it will likely rattle loose while driving and strip out the hole. Which means bolts with washers and nuts would be better. But that's a whole different can of worms. I also noticed some light damage to my flooring in the main LR. Hopefully it isn't damaged beyond cleaning to be good enough.

Tags
slide