Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2015, 08:26 PM   #1

fresh water tank fill help.

Yesterday I hooked up hose to the city water fill connection. YHE 30hds Has A Lever To Switch From water fill to regular. Question is the vent overflow under the camper never overflowed. Is this normal. Our other camper when the tank is full water came out overflow. Lights inside took a long time bit eventually showed full.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:37 PM   #2

Mud dauber fill the end of the over flow tube for you?
Old 04-18-2015, 10:27 PM   #3

It's a brand new unit. The tank seems full. I just thought water would eventually come out the overflow.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:30 AM   #4

I understand the "new" part but just the same.

Another option is the tank is not venting, have you ran the pump with a faucet open yet?
Old 04-19-2015, 06:16 AM   #5

Manufacturers recommend NEVER letting it get to the point that it overflows out the vent. Many do without issue but it does cause stress on other connections and can stretch your tank and mounting straps as the vent can't possibly let out the excess as fast as your hose is pumping it it. The best way to do it is use your lights. When the last one comes on, turn off the water.
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 01:33 PM   #6

fresh water tank issues on 2014 Sabre

filled the fresh water tank for the first time on our new Sabre. water ran out the top of the fill pipe. I opened the faucets inside to purge the air. purged air from water heater tank. Water running out the top of the fill pipe but the level gauge inside only showed 1/3 full. went camping for the weekend with no water hookup available. we ran out of water by the second day. so my tank must not have been full. Tried filling it again when we got home. Same scenario. same results. can't see the tank because bottom of trailer is enclosed. not sure whats going on. Any one have any ideas?
thanks from Minnesota
JoeNanMinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:20 AM   #7
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNanMinn View Post
filled the fresh water tank for the first time on our new Sabre. water ran out the top of the fill pipe. I opened the faucets inside to purge the air. purged air from water heater tank. Water running out the top of the fill pipe but the level gauge inside only showed 1/3 full. went camping for the weekend with no water hookup available. we ran out of water by the second day. so my tank must not have been full. Tried filling it again when we got home. Same scenario. same results. can't see the tank because bottom of trailer is enclosed. not sure whats going on. Any one have any ideas?
thanks from Minnesota
Exact same thing happened to me, also. After the fill hose ran a while, I'd hear gurgling then water would back out of the gravity fill. I'd let the gurgling subside a second or two then start filling again. More gurgling, more water spilling out. Tank full? 'Twould seem so but no.
I bought a water filler nozzle that has a control knob on it and dialed down the flow. When I heard the gurgling, I shut it off and waited almost a minute then commenced filling again. Repeated several times. Voila! Full tank.
Perhaps because of the shape of the tank, air is trapped in the fill pipe simulating a full tank. Lower your fill rate and increase your wait time between backflows and your problem will go away.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by awellis3 View Post
Exact same thing happened to me, also. After the fill hose ran a while, I'd hear gurgling then water would back out of the gravity fill. I'd let the gurgling subside a second or two then start filling again. More gurgling, more water spilling out. Tank full? 'Twould seem so but no.
I bought a water filler nozzle that has a control knob on it and dialed down the flow. When I heard the gurgling, I shut it off and waited almost a minute then commenced filling again. Repeated several times. Voila! Full tank.
Perhaps because of the shape of the tank, air is trapped in the fill pipe simulating a full tank. Lower your fill rate and increase your wait time between backflows and your problem will go away.
It's also very possible that the vent line has a kink or at least a partial kink. This would create the exact thing you all have discussed. Water going in needs to have the same amount of air going out. If the vent line is kinked, it will result in a slow or no fill situation.
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 10:09 AM   #9
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
It's also very possible that the vent line has a kink or at least a partial kink. This would create the exact thing you all have discussed. Water going in needs to have the same amount of air going out. If the vent line is kinked, it will result in a slow or no fill situation.
Right you are. That's the first thing I thought of, too. Turns out, the vent is fine (as designed). On my trailer, I can put water in faster than the vent can let air out. Since that defies physics, I have to assume it is the placement of fill and vent on my tank that allows this to occur.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:38 PM   #10

Hey guys, thanks for that info. I will check those out. Its kinda hard to see if my vent hose may be kinked, the underside of our unit is enclosed. But I will figure out how to get a peek at my tank, hoses and vent, etc.
thanks again.
JoeNanMinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 12:34 PM   #11

Hi everyone ~ I just bought a Grey Wolf 26RR Toy Hauler and have been camping once at a camp ground where water service was available .. had zero problems then. Now, I'm planning on dry camping for a three day trip and trying to do a partial fill for my fresh water. Seems as though my "fill connection" has a quick disconnect of some type (not threaded for a hose) and will not allow me to fill the tank. There is a screen inside which I can feel with my finger and I understand this is to stop trash from entering the system .. but I cannot get fresh water to flow into the tank. Any suggestions from the experts?
extxn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank