Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2017, 06:48 AM   #1

Fuel Station Gauge Not Working

We have a new XLR Hyperlite 26HFS. I was prepping it this weekend for the camping season. I tried out the fuel station and verified that the pump works correctly. However the fuel gauge does not work at all. I have 20 gallons in the tank and the gauge still shows empty.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the fuel gauge? I did a bit of trouble shooting but the wiring is really a mess and it's hard to tell what is going on.
stevebarnett71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:28 AM   #2

I too have to dig into my fuel gauge this spring. After running my generator several times over the winter, I have noticed that the generator gauge still reads full. However the aux tank is dropping so they must have some wired mixed up.

Also, something for you all to consider, I had filled the auxiliary tank, thinking I could use this to top up the generator tank for extended off grid camping. So I went to transfer some fuel and found that the fill hose is so short it won't reach the generator tank fill spot. I would bet you would have a heck of a time (if at all) filling up an ATV or something with the supplied hose. So first mod will be doubling the length of the hose!
Old 04-30-2017, 06:38 AM   #3

Just fixed my gauge. It never worked from day one. I hooked the gauge up to 12volts and ground and it didn't move.

I picked up another one but decided to check the wiring. It was all messed up. Someone wired the fused 5amp to positive and ground, and the gauge had both wires going to ground. At least the fuel sender wire was correct
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170429_114709.jpg
Views:	770
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	136333  
Old 04-30-2017, 07:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by REPO View Post
I too have to dig into my fuel gauge this spring. After running my generator several times over the winter, I have noticed that the generator gauge still reads full. However the aux tank is dropping so they must have some wired mixed up.

Also, something for you all to consider, I had filled the auxiliary tank, thinking I could use this to top up the generator tank for extended off grid camping. So I went to transfer some fuel and found that the fill hose is so short it won't reach the generator tank fill spot. I would bet you would have a heck of a time (if at all) filling up an ATV or something with the supplied hose. So first mod will be doubling the length of the hose!

We found most of our hose was pushed under the fuel station and the hose was kinked.
After pushing the hose into the fuel station I had enough to reach the generator fill port .
Old 07-07-2017, 01:04 PM   #5

Finally got around to fixing the fuel gauge. There were many wiring issues from the factory. The send unit was connected to +12v then to the gauge instead of connected to ground like it should have been. Also, the gauge was wired to only have power when the fuel pump was running. I changed it so that it is powered whenever the fuel station switch is turned on from in the camper. And lastly the light bulb for the gauge only had the +12V wire going to it. I added a ground and it also works properly now.
stevebarnett71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel