Old 12-15-2015, 06:29 PM   #1

Garage Ramp and How many motorcycles have you fit in the XLR?

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the site and have been looking through some of the old threads. I have found one issue with my XLR and that is how steep the ramp angle is. My dirt bike has no problem with clearance but my cruiser will drag the oil pan at the top of the ramp. I built a small support for the ramp that is 8" tall and then have an additional ramp to extend the length and give me clearance. I was wondering if anyone out there has made or purchased a bolt on extension? I have seen "Race Ramps" that I am considering buying for next season.

Also wondering how many motorcycles has anyone fit into a 24'XLR. looking to make a trip with three dirt bikes next year and not sure if they'll fit.

Thanks in advance!!

Old 12-15-2015, 10:17 PM   #2

Raising the nose of the trailer helps allot. Prior to taking it off of the hitch I put a 4" block under the jack. That really reduces the angle of the ramp. My HD Trike will drag the muffler with ease. Lifting the ramp helps also.. Few short sections of 4X4 stock and an extension ramp helped me allot on my last trailer with my 2009 TriGlide.

2015 W&P 25CB/ 2011 F250 6.7L Diesel
2015 HD FLRT/2009 HD XL1200L

US Army, 1979-1990 95BZ6
Keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 10:26 PM   #3

Thanks. I'll give raising the tongue a try. I was always timid of loading the bikes with the trailer disconnected from my truck, but it sounds like I have nothing to be concerned about.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:40 PM   #4

Just block the wheels so it doesn't roll. Once you have it nose high drop the rear jacks for stability.

2015 W&P 25CB/ 2011 F250 6.7L Diesel
2015 HD FLRT/2009 HD XL1200L

US Army, 1979-1990 95BZ6
Keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 02:32 PM   #5

Hi, I have a 2006 attitude I load 2 Harley's I added 2 ft. to the ramp with diamond plate with a piano hing, that fold back on the ramp when closed. I use blocks to support the door and extension.
Old 12-16-2015, 03:38 PM   #6

Steep ramp on XLR

I have a 23FBV and loading my Harley Ultra Classic is an issue. The kick stand spring was hitting the ramp jam and high centering. To solve the problem I use wheel ramps under the back tires of my pickup which effectively raises the front of the trailer and lowers the back. I can then carefully ride the bike into the toy hauler and secure it. It would have been nice to have a dove tail on the back of the XLR but it is what it is. Unloading is just the same. There have been a couple of times I've found raised areas that I can back the trailer up to, drop the gate and then drive the bike in with no issues at all.
Old 12-16-2015, 03:51 PM   #7

We have a 27 with the Happi-Jack bed and I can fit 3 bikes facing forwards with out any issues, I think i could even stick 2 in backwards for a total of 5 if I had to. If i did I might have to toss some extra gear in the front of the trailer to balance out the tongue weight with the 5 bikes

Looking at the 24's floor plan i bet if you turn them side ways under the rear bed you could fit 3 dirt bikes right there You might chose to move 1 forward into the couch area just for weight distribution though
Old 12-16-2015, 03:56 PM   #8

Trick I have used is drive the rear tires of the truck up on couple of 2x6 boards couple of feet long and tapered off on ends to 45 Degree and staggered so doesn't have to climb up both at same time. Works fine for me and I have a fifthwheel and is much higher off ground. Three dirt bikes should fit fine.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:11 PM   #9

Wow!! Thanks for all the different suggestions. I'll give the less costly suggestions a try before I invest any real cash. It does sound like the problem is easily solved by raising the tongue. I had it set in my head to extend the ramp, but i'm glad I asked you all. Thanks

Tags
xlr