Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2017, 07:59 PM   #1

Garage TV mount

I went through about 30 pages of threads with no luck, so I figured I'd just ask. I want to mount a tv in the garage (on the left side as you walk in) my stud finder seems to only pick up one stud between the front corner and the window. Anyone have any idea how far apart the studs are spaced? I'll take any suggestions on how every one else does this. Thanks
Bnrc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 02:52 PM   #2

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ts-124505.html

I have a sticker on wall saying where stud should be to mount a tv. Seems to be a 2x6 there.
340xlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 03:56 PM   #3

Depending on what unit you have, an outside may have no studs or maybe a single one. If there is an antenna outlet next to where you want to mount it, then there may be a large plywood panel in that area. Both outlet locations in our W&P had plywood about 16"x16" under the wallcover.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 01:56 PM   #4

99% sure FR dioesnt intend you to mount to the outside wall. 1-1/4" thick wall with luan and foam... studs at door edge and where Happi Jacks verticals and windows are (I took photos early on one frosty morn (a way down south in Dixie) that i have a photo of.... not on any xx" center... garage TV location on bathroom wall high in the corner; plenty of meat there.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 03:52 AM   #5
Chief

I mounted my 60" to the forward wall with a standard flush mount. I just pushed on the thin wall board and easily found the studs and bolted it up. Been mounted over a year with no problems and it's a 90 lb plasma.
Razorbackfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 10:24 AM   #6

Found stud for tv mount

Thanks every one for your tips. I did find a stud in the perfect place to mount a swivel tv stand. It lays flat against the wall for travel, and rotates into the corner for viewing. If it falls off the wall I'll let you know.
Bnrc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:12 AM   #7
Chief

Cool that's how I did my bedroom mount. I imagine if you pull the TV off when traveling you shouldn't have to worry about the mount failing.
Razorbackfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:42 AM   #8

I contacted XLR and this is what they say is in the garage and living room for TV backer.

"It is a piece of 1/4 inch ply wood that is 16x12"
ricky836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:08 PM   #9

1/4" plywood??? Yikes! Doesn't give a sense of security those lag bolts will hold!
DennisTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 01:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisTD View Post
1/4" plywood??? Yikes! Doesn't give a sense of security those lag bolts will hold!
Thats my thoughts exactly, I am hoping that its a typo, 1/4" is basically useless.
ricky836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky836 View Post
Thats my thoughts exactly, I am hoping that its a typo, 1/4" is basically useless.
I think the backer is 1/2" and there should be / could be a stud there might be usable. When I mounted a TV on interior garage wall, what I went into was decent, just watch the length... the wall is only about 2-1/2" thick. If on an outside wall, there are metal "studs" placed at edges of doors, windows, where happi jack is mounted on, etc. But those walls are even thinner... maybe 1-1/2" thick. Whenever you mount anything that you don't want to ever come loose, it helps to augment the fastening with HD 3M doublesided tape between wall and object.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mount, tv mount