Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2018, 11:50 AM   #1

Garage vents

On my 29 hsf there are 2 vents one down low on passenger side and one up high on drivers side . does anyone know where to get these vents as i would like to add another for a portable ac . i think it would be better then making a hole in side or floor for exhaust and fresh air
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 12:38 PM   #2

Well looks like i found one $38. on amazon . seems even better then the ones the unit comes with . pretty much the same other then it's aluminum though the color is black with all trim pieces and gaskets . i should be able to vent my portable ac though these . will mount next to the lower one that's all ready there . i got the portable ac which is less then half the price of a new rv ac mounted in garage roof vent . it's 11,000 btu duel hose whynter 1050 watts so will install a separate 20 amp out let for this and plug into pedestal . This way i can keep garage cool and should help keep the rest of the unit cool without taxing my 15,000 btu ac , while spending my winter months in Florida . in the past the units ac could keep the front part of the rv cool but not the garage
Old 08-27-2018, 12:51 PM   #3

Sounds as if you've come up with an awesome fix and unique mod ~ be sure to take plenty of pics & post results.
extxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 01:57 PM   #4

will do
Old 08-30-2018, 10:39 AM   #5

Got the vents i ordered . I have to say the quality is so much nicer then the plastic ones FR installed . same size but made of aluminum , in black . may switch out the other 2 for these
Old 08-30-2018, 10:42 AM   #6

Why not use the vents that are there..... ????? We did with a portable AC. No new holes even used existing screw holes.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 02:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Why not use the vents that are there..... ????? We did with a portable AC. No new holes even used existing screw holes.

because there is only 1 vent down low passenger side and 1 up high drivers side .
I looked at the single hose ac's but did not like the fact that it would be sucking in hot air from every little air space , especially from around the slide . So i opted for a duel hose unit therefore i need another vent down next to the one on the passenger side , one for air in and one for exhaust . plus the 11,000 btu unit was IMO better and cheaper then the single hose models $258. shipped . i got the whynter brand since i have a whynter brand ice maker and it's been going for 4 yrs i figure the ac will be good also . many good reviews on it and of course a few bad .
Old 08-30-2018, 02:39 PM   #8

Another bone head thig FR did was put black panels on the slide . you can roast an egg on them and in the sun the inside wall of the slide gets very hot . i cover them up with foam board and it makes a huge difference
Old 08-30-2018, 02:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
because there is only 1 vent down low passenger side and 1 up high drivers side .
I looked at the single hose ac's but did not like the fact that it would be sucking in hot air from every little air space , especially from around the slide . So i opted for a duel hose unit therefore i need another vent down next to the one on the passenger side , one for air in and one for exhaust . plus the 11,000 btu unit was IMO better and cheaper then the single hose models $258. shipped . i got the whynter brand since i have a whynter brand ice maker and it's been going for 4 yrs i figure the ac will be good also . many good reviews on it and of course a few bad .
Got ya, we had an 8000 BTU unit with a single hose but it would freeze you out of the garage. It was plenty for us. Is your TH a 30A or a 50A

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 04:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Got ya, we had an 8000 BTU unit with a single hose but it would freeze you out of the garage. It was plenty for us. Is your TH a 30A or a 50A

A XLR 29 . 30 amp with 15,000 btu main AC . which keeps the front perfect once i take care of the slide . to keep the whole unit cool it would run all the time . The garage is not insulated well I even put up foam board over the ramp door on the inside that helps a lot also . the floor has 0 insulation . I like to remove the door heading into the bathroom and leave off as i turn my garage into a sort of mud room/ office etc. in Florida can't do that , but now with the new portable i will . Hoping it cools the whole place and should be less electric usage . i spend at least 5 months a yr in FL Nov-April . Though about just adding another ac in the garage vent but costs close to $700. and then loss of a vent i decided to go the portable route .
Old 11-10-2018, 09:06 AM   #11
Full-time 5'er

Quote:
On my 29 hsf there are 2 vents one down low on passenger side and one up high on drivers side . does anyone know where to get these vents as i would like to add another for a portable ac . i think it would be better then making a hole in side or floor for exhaust and fresh air
Here was my solution.Click image for larger version

Name:	1110180903.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	198.4 KB
ID:	191117Click image for larger version

Name:	1110180905.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	231.0 KB
ID:	191118
2018 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
mnolasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnolasco View Post
I ended up installing a second vent down next to the lower one since I got a unit that has the double hose . intake and output . works like a charm been set up in Florida for over a week now and it's really helping cool the unit and the main ac works half as much
Old 11-11-2018, 09:31 AM   #13
Full-time 5'er

Quote:
I ended up installing a second vent down next to the lower one since I got a unit that has the double hose . intake and output . works like a charm been set up in Florida for over a week now and it's really helping cool the unit and the main ac works half as much
I'm in Florida now as well. Jacksonville, Orlando, Ft. Lauderdale, Key Largo. The heat wave here has put the AC unit to good use.
2018 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
mnolasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:53 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnolasco View Post
I'm in Florida now as well. Jacksonville, Orlando, Ft. Lauderdale, Key Largo. The heat wave here has put the AC unit to good use.

boy is it still hot . i come from Colorado and not used to the humidity . Even though this is my 4 th year comeing here it takes a while to get used to . can't wait for the nice 70's can't come soon enough

Tags
vent