Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 09:16 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomax View Post
I run 78% Nitrogen in all of my tires as I feel it is very important.
Here we go... Popcorn time...

I run CaCl in my tires. How about that?
Old 01-06-2017, 09:44 AM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdiller View Post
There is no income generated from free air pumps at gas stations.
That's why many have started charging for it. I had a low tire in Chicago one time. Had to stop at 4 or 5 different gas stations before I finally found one that didn't require inserting 4 quarters.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:45 AM   #23

My opinions is... it started with Firestone and the blow-up tires. People got on the bandwagon to promote tire safety because of tires under-inflated instead of routine maintenance(me included). The government got involved and mandated TPMS and nitrogen IS a good idea, I just think a maintenance/monitoring system is more important. There are no full service gas stations, lots of single ladies driving that don't know to check the tires and fluids so "generations" of people aren't checking the items of maintenance. Oil changes go longer, cars don't require as much tune-up type maintenance, missing "man of the house syndrome"(he don't know anyway) and it just became a problem. Lower profile tires don't help either. All my opinion of course.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Old 01-06-2017, 09:46 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Here we go... Popcorn time...

I run CaCl in my tires. How about that?
02, 03, 04 or 05? I haven't tried that yet
Old 01-06-2017, 10:11 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomax View Post
I run 78% Nitrogen in all of my tires as I feel it is very important.
X2
Old 01-06-2017, 10:31 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
02, 03, 04 or 05? I haven't tried that yet
A tongue and cheek comment. CaCl is used in ag tractor tires instead of air for weight. CaCl is calcium chloride. Comes as flakes in a bag you mix with water in put in a tire (with a tube inside). CaCl is corrosive so you need a tube of it would corrode the steel or aluminum rim.

I like the comment above about coin operated air pumps at gas stations. Most are pretty weak. Had that experience is Jackson, Michigan. Had a flat on 94 and changed it on the side of the road with the spare, but the spare was a little low, so I wheeled into a Speedway and spent 2 bucks in quarters, adding maybe 10 psi. What a rip off.

I carry a small 110 volt compressor now in addition to my tire change tools (bottle jack, blocking, appropriate socket and breaker bar plus a screwdriver to remove the hubcap).

If I need the compressor, it's a simple matter of starting the inverter genny and powering up the compressor. I learned the hard way.

My philosophy is, I have roadside assistance (AAA and AMA) but I'm not comfortable sitting broke down on the berm of an Interstate with traffic whizzing by at 70, inches from my door, waiting for road service (and paying for it) when I can do it myself in 15 minutes.

I carry all the essentials (now). All fits in a milk crate including a snatch strap and gloves, spare drive belts and a couple quarts of motor oil and transmission fluid.... and yes, my wife can change a tire too.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:32 AM   #27

Quote:
My opinions is... it started with Firestone and the blow-up tires. People got on the bandwagon to promote tire safety because of tires under-inflated instead of routine maintenance(me included). The government got involved and mandated TPMS and nitrogen IS a good idea, I just think a maintenance/monitoring system is more important. There are no full service gas stations, lots of single ladies driving that don't know to check the tires and fluids so "generations" of people aren't checking the items of maintenance. Oil changes go longer, cars don't require as much tune-up type maintenance, missing "man of the house syndrome"(he don't know anyway) and it just became a problem. Lower profile tires don't help either. All my opinion of course.
My daughter and my wife both know how to do things like check oil, tire pressure, change a flat, back up a trailer and parallel park. My daughter complained I was making her do too much parallel parking when she was learning to drive. And my son is a mechanic so I'm not worried about him. But with the advent of cell phones and roadside assistance how often do they really have to change a tire? My fuel pump recently died on the expressway. I probably could have gotten out of the car and taken the tire iron to the fuel tank and got it working to at least get home but sitting there with all the traffic going by and in a construction zone I figured I would call the AAA tow service to get it home.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:48 AM   #28

My favorite source of information on this is the following u-tube from Australia. Not for the sensitive of ear, the guy is pretty blunt and uses lots of "colorful" language. Good to have some pop corn while watching!!!

YMMV
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
Old 01-06-2017, 02:28 PM   #29

I finally realized how silly this question was. Although I might try the helium suggestion. Thanks everyone.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:33 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnrc73 View Post
I finally realized how silly this question was. Although I might try the helium suggestion. Thanks everyone.
All is well. You will find after reading many of the Q & A posts here, that some topics bring'em out of the woodwork. LOL

Just keep asking questions. The search feature on the forum is a good way to find things out.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:41 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnrc73 View Post

Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
Old 01-06-2017, 03:06 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
My favorite source of information on this is the following u-tube from Australia. Not for the sensitive of ear, the guy is pretty blunt and uses lots of "colorful" language. Good to have some pop corn while watching!!!

YMMV
The video itself ranks as a 2 bag (microwave buttered popcorn) event. That was great.

I have some green valve caps on my valves but no pure N. I'm 'faking it'.....

Kinda like when Varsity in Novi insisted I should buy there tire and rim warranty, because the 'roads in Michigan were so bad, it would pay for itself'... to the tune of 500 bucks when I bought my new car. Not unlimited mind you, 500 every 3 years....

I agree. Michigan roads suck but I don'y go looking for pot holes to blow tires or square rims anyway and I priced a new rim at Rock auto and a new tire at Tireman. the whole shebang was about half the 500 premium and I've never hit a pot hole hard enough to blow a tire or square a rim anyway in 30 years.

Just a scam, just like nitrogen.

Varsity is a good dealer an their service is top notch (which is probably why Varsity is the largest Ford dealer in the US, but sometimes. the art of the scam takes precedent, especially when it bolsters the bottom line, just like nitrogen does.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:13 PM   #33

[QUOTE=tdiller;1394108]My daughter and my wife both know how to do things like check oil, tire pressure, change a flat, back up a trailer and parallel park. My daughter complained I was making her do too much parallel parking when she was learning to drive.

DW's daughter is the same.. she wants to learn. She can change her own oil as well as being a pretty girl and crafty. If she grows up... she will make a good wife for someone...assuming she can find a worthy husband. The rest of the kids(including my younger brother) could care less.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:15 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
A tongue and cheek comment. CaCl is used in ag tractor tires instead of air for weight. CaCl is calcium chloride. Comes as flakes in a bag you mix with water in put in a tire (with a tube inside). CaCl is corrosive so you need a tube of it would corrode the steel or aluminum rim.

I like the comment above about coin operated air pumps at gas stations. Most are pretty weak. Had that experience is Jackson, Michigan. Had a flat on 94 and changed it on the side of the road with the spare, but the spare was a little low, so I wheeled into a Speedway and spent 2 bucks in quarters, adding maybe 10 psi. What a rip off.

I carry a small 110 volt compressor now in addition to my tire change tools (bottle jack, blocking, appropriate socket and breaker bar plus a screwdriver to remove the hubcap).

If I need the compressor, it's a simple matter of starting the inverter genny and powering up the compressor. I learned the hard way.

My philosophy is, I have roadside assistance (AAA and AMA) but I'm not comfortable sitting broke down on the berm of an Interstate with traffic whizzing by at 70, inches from my door, waiting for road service (and paying for it) when I can do it myself in 15 minutes.

I carry all the essentials (now). All fits in a milk crate including a snatch strap and gloves, spare drive belts and a couple quarts of motor oil and transmission fluid.... and yes, my wife can change a tire too.
LOL around here they use water or water and antifreeze
Old 01-10-2017, 12:17 PM   #35

I can only afford the cheap 78% nitrogen stuff.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
Old 01-10-2017, 12:42 PM   #36

Quote:
LOL around here they use water or water and antifreeze
Up here a water antifreeze mix is never used as antifreeze in any amount is lethal to not only animals but humans as well and CaCl per gallon weighs about half again as much as water and don't freeze.... Plus it's less expensive.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:53 PM   #37
Insert witty title here

Just remember that your compressor already puts out a gas that's 70% nitrogen.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
Old 01-10-2017, 01:05 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
Just remember that your compressor already puts out a gas that's 70% nitrogen.
If you buy one of the deluxe air compressors you will get a better mix: 78% nitrogen
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
Old 01-10-2017, 01:17 PM   #39
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
If you buy one of the deluxe air compressors you will get a better mix: 78% nitrogen
Even a $39 Harbor Freight compressor will do that!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
Old 01-10-2017, 01:21 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
Air from an air compressor consists of 78% nitrogen, the air you breath consists of 78% nitrogen. If nitrogen leaks less than air, then every time I have to put air in my tires, eventually the tires will be full of nitrogen and there will be no need to put air in a flat tire!
That is completely absurd. Everyone knows that since the nitrogen molecule can not fit through the pores of the rubber tire then the tire is essentially acting as a filter. This filter will keep the nitrogen (78%) in and the oxygen (21%), water vapor, CO2, argon, other gasses that make up the last (the remaining 1%) would escape. Therefore decreasing the nitrogen in the atmosphere. After just a couple of years the components that make up the atmosphere would change negatively contributing to global warming or cooling (depending on your persuasion), melting ice caps, rising seas. If we don't stop this practice then we are all doomed to tires that won't leak and an uninhabitable atmosphere.
Closed Thread

Tags
gas, tire, tires