Old 08-04-2016, 08:16 PM   #1

Generator issue. XLR 425

So, tank is full of gas, have started the generator, and it will run for 5, 10, 15, or maybe even 30 minutes, then just shut off. There's no rhyme or reason, but it will not stay running, shuts off.

Am I missing something about these Onan / Cummins generators? Rv is a 2015 425 thunderbolt.

We live full time, and I'm only exercising the generator, but it will not stay on. Info, will be much appreciated.

Jon

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Old 08-05-2016, 04:44 AM   #2

It might be your fuel tank vent hose, my vent hose was installed under my fill hose and it would fill with gas and when i tried putting gas into tank the pressure kept shutting yhe pump off. The next time it shuts off try taking off the fuel cap and see if you hear and or feel air coming out or ryshing in. If your tank is not venting or your cap isnt then it might be building up vacuum which evevtually might be more than your fuel pump can pump.

Old 08-05-2016, 05:36 AM   #3

Generator issue. XLR 425

Have you checked the error code? That will help narrow your focus.

-R.Jones
Nitro 31FQSL
Old 08-06-2016, 04:38 PM   #4

Code 36, fuel. Checked the vent placement, it's fine. Disconnected it just to make sure it was clear. Unscrewed the carb drain, no gas. Ran the primer pump, no gas. I'm guessing the fuel filter may be plugged, or pump is bad. Pump runs, tried it several times. Any other ideas? Generator has 1.4 hrs on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Old 08-06-2016, 05:44 PM   #5

I had error code 36 two times as well. The first time it occurred my fuel tank was too low. The second time my fuel filter was clogged by plastic debris. Presumably from the gas tank drilling.

-R.Jones
Nitro 31FQSL
Old 08-08-2016, 08:06 AM   #6

same issues

I have a 2015 Spartan toyhauler with an Onan Marquis Gold 5.5k gas gen and am having the same problems. I have over 50 hrs. on the gen. and I just got it back from the certified Onan service center after them having it for 25 days and this is what they found. They did 4 hrs of diagnostics and came up with the gen is over heating and shutting down causing the code 36.
Now the sad part. Onan says that even though I am in my warranty period overheating is NOT a warranty issue. So that being said I'm responsible for the $597.70 bill!!!! It's not a warranty issue but in the next statement they tell me they have a "hot air recirculation kit" for
$300.00 . They wouldn't have come up with this kit if they didn't know there was a problem.
I don't get it!! Onan say's they didn't cause the problem , the problem was caused by Prime Time and the way they installed the gen. which Onan say's is a factory defect!!!
I plan to talk to Prime Time at the Frog Rally next week. As a consumer I've just about had it. Onan blames Prime Time and we'll see what Prime Time say's.
I hope this helps you and I'll let you know the outcome from the rally.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:28 AM   #7

Cutting off in 5 minutes is not caused by overheating. Most likely a clogged fuel filter, or a bad fuel pump, trash in the tank getting in the fuel pick-up, blocked vent on the vapor canister, crimped/clasped fuel line...

If the unit is overheating, try leaving the compartment door open.
The overheating kit is an air diverter that is placed under the generator to separate the intake air side from the exhaust side.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:15 AM   #8

generator overheating

I was trying to keep my post as small as I could but my gen usually dies anywhere from 20 mins to an hour depending on the outside temp. The longest I have ever had it running at one time is 2 hrs. and it was in a rest area in Fla and the temp was 72 degs and humid. Had I known an Onan gen couldn't handle that I would not have purchased it.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:42 AM   #9

Had same problem with my 395 from the time I brought it home. Long story short I ended up with adding 2nd fuel pump near the fuel tank. Sucking gas almost 40' is not ideal especially when it's hot.

Also added air deflector under generator to redirect hot exhaust air from intake.

Results are good.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:22 PM   #10

I had that problem too on my 5500 Onan. I bought a new fuel pump and it has worked great ever since.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Tags
generator, xlr