Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2015, 02:20 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
The kitchen slide was on a 29hsf not a 5'er . i just got home last night . it rained monday night . tuesday only west of sturgis never rained in town and wed was also great again late night showers .
NS,
Sorry, I said "slide out" but I was really talking about the "party deck" off the kitchen/living room area. I have to try stop posting on the forum while I'm at work on a conference call...

The Monday night rains washed out some of the covert area's at Glenco. I assumed anything that came on Tuesday or Wednesday would have just made it worst. I really felt bad for people in tents. I was nice and cozy in the 29hfs...
Old 08-07-2015, 08:08 PM   #42

maybe thats what they call it ,did not look at the designation on it . i walked in it thinking it was a 29 and surprised the see the slide out . bumper pull and our 29's were behind it . looked same same except the extra slide out
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 10:57 AM   #43

I like this new(er) model; the floor plan is killer, but it isn't without its problems.

XLR is trying to pack too much trailer while keeping the half-ton towable mantra alive. Maybe a rebadging with heavier suspension with a decent improvement in cargo capacity is in order. If you look at the Keystone Carbon 33, it would seem XLR built the 30HDS to compete, but with wimpy cargo capacity.

Obvious differences from the 29hfs; besides the kitchen slide with the large gains in counter space (love that), is that the bathroom is reversed, which means although at first glance the cabinet is better placed, the door to the inside is harder or impossible to get to when toy or toys are loaded and you want to enter the coach from the garage door (hate that). The bathroom door into the garage is now swings into the garage, which works for some but not for everyone... they should have used up 6 inches of the new found length and made it a slider, HECK, why not make both the bathroom doors sliders (Playharder would approve... and I would too).

The "30" is about two feet longer, with the living room / kitchen being the recipient of extra room. The dry weight is about 600-700# higher, which means cargo weight is reduced even more than the "29"; it would seem for the purpose of keeping the "half ton towable" mantra alive (hate that). Undoubtably it is equipped the on-this-forum infamous 4400# axles... but, love the layout.

Now to make it more appealing to more people, offer a 5200# axle option; and be clear about the fact that with this option makes it NOT half-ton towable, they would have a more capable unit. Maybe a slight rebadging.

I would rather see a 30 foot goose neck with a "horse traile" style low floor and overall height. I would voluteer my time to work on this with them.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:19 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejd235 View Post
NS,
Sorry, I said "slide out" but I was really talking about the "party deck" off the kitchen/living room area. I have to try stop posting on the forum while I'm at work on a conference call...

The Monday night rains washed out some of the covert area's at Glenco. I assumed anything that came on Tuesday or Wednesday would have just made it worst. I really felt bad for people in tents. I was nice and cozy in the 29hfs...
plenty of rain monday night , not so much at the house in boulder park . but went and picked up a couple of younger women in our group at the chip and they were soaked .been watching the bikers ride by today here at where i'm staying in west yellowstone since it was raining all day i felt for them . i was lucky and did not get one drop while riding there or on my way back
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:15 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
I like this new(er) model; the floor plan is killer, but it isn't without its problems.

XLR is trying to pack too much trailer while keeping the half-ton towable mantra alive. Maybe a rebadging with heavier suspension with a decent improvement in cargo capacity is in order. If you look at the Keystone Carbon 33, it would seem XLR built the 30HDS to compete, but with wimpy cargo capacity.

Obvious differences from the 29hfs; besides the kitchen slide with the large gains in counter space (love that), is that the bathroom is reversed, which means although at first glance the cabinet is better placed, the door to the inside is harder or impossible to get to when toy or toys are loaded and you want to enter the coach from the garage door (hate that). The bathroom door into the garage is now swings into the garage, which works for some but not for everyone... they should have used up 6 inches of the new found length and made it a slider, HECK, why not make both the bathroom doors sliders (Playharder would approve... and I would too).

The "30" is about two feet longer, with the living room / kitchen being the recipient of extra room. The dry weight is about 600-700# higher, which means cargo weight is reduced even more than the "29"; it would seem for the purpose of keeping the "half ton towable" mantra alive (hate that). Undoubtably it is equipped the on-this-forum infamous 4400# axles... but, love the layout.

Now to make it more appealing to more people, offer a 5200# axle option; and be clear about the fact that with this option makes it NOT half-ton towable, they would have a more capable unit. Maybe a slight rebadging.

I would rather see a 30 foot goose neck with a "horse traile" style low floor and overall height. I would voluteer my time to work on this with them.
Our other criteria is to be able to stop at a rest stop and get a drink/have lunch, etc without having everything blocked. The 29HFS fits the bill because we can do that with the slide out "in"
DennisTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:24 PM   #46

True, true

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 08-08-2015, 08:56 PM   #47

Same with us in the 27HFS

2014 XLR27HFS
2006 Ford F450 Dually Diesel
breezyhillfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 04:57 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisTD View Post
Our other criteria is to be able to stop at a rest stop and get a drink/have lunch, etc without having everything blocked. The 29HFS fits the bill because we can do that with the slide out "in"
It would be fairly easy to operate the kitchen slide. True it is better to not have to, but I would be willling to suffer this small inconvenience for the added space, including counter space... especially for the counter space... for the other 99.9% of the time. I'm not seriously considering the 30, especially considering the limited cargo and gross weight limits.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 08-09-2015, 03:20 PM   #49

For me, I'm just happy FR is continuing to try and improve. They may take a step back from time to time but at least they are trying to add the things we all have been talking about.