Old 07-24-2015, 04:29 PM   #1

Getting ready to order our Hyper Lite 24HFS-have some questions

Hi everyone! Hope this is in the right "spot" on the forum! We have a 2015 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi 4x4 with a max tow load of 8090 according to our VIN. We are looking to order a 2016 Hyper Lite 24HFS toy hauler. Here are my questions to those who are knowledgeable or those who may be towing with a similar truck on this toy hauler- did you modify or add anything to the truck to enhance your tow experience?

We will be traveling as a small family with two young boys (3 and 5) and a big boxer dog (what a lucky mom, all boys!). It will be our first RV and I want this to be a positive experience for all of us including my husband who will be the primary driver. Thoughts, suggestions, and advice on this tow set up would be wonderful.

As for toys, our toy is a golf cart. Though I am sure kayaks and fishing poles will be in tow as well! Any advice from those that bring along golf carts would be great too! I'm assuming we need to remove the roof on the cart to drive into the toy hauler.

Lastly, debating on how to configure the garage. Definitely want one electric bed. Not sure about adding the additional set of fold down couches versus keeping that space open versus a second electric bed. Any thoughts here? Would love to hear from any other traveling families with small kids as well as pets. We will be bringing along the dog crate with us.

Thanks!

Old 07-24-2015, 04:34 PM   #2
Georgia Frog Rally 2018

Good luck on your getting your first RV and the world of RVing. Later RJd

2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2016 58
Days camped so far 2017 62
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 04:27 PM   #3

From my signature line you can see I don't truly qualify to respond, but know a thing or two and would like to help. According to the latest brochure (I have) ship weight for your 24HFS is 5526#. Gross Weight is around 9318#. Based on your number of 8090# it will take 2564# in cargo to reach the truck max capacity. Weight in the truck and options will reduce this number, as well. In my experience a TV at max capacity is possible if towing on relative flat ground with a very good anti sway and WDH (the best you can afford) and keeping the speed low. Floor to bottom of the single bed is 73-1/2" in my unit and my "work" cart overall height is 72" so it will fit. Hopefully someone with the dinette needs to give you the skinny, but the fold down dinette option would be great for a family. The second bed would greatly reduce headroom for a cart. By the way... the cart is stock... not lifted. Definitely get the extreme package and the 1500k btu air conditioner. I wouldn't get the generator since weight will be an issue. Also a gas cart would be lighter .
Old 07-27-2015, 08:56 AM   #4

I have a 24HFS and here are some things I think you should know.

1) You should be fine with a good WDH. I tow mine with a VW Touareg diesel. It has close to the same tow capacities as a 1500 truck. I originally went with a cheap WDH and regretted it due to some major sway. I recently bit the bullet and spend the money on the ProPride hitch and I will never go back. The hitch is well worth it's money. Something to think about.

2) THE 24HFS DOES NOT HAVE A 57 GALLON GRAY CAPACITY. I wanted to stress that point because I am going through some warranty work right now because of that. The 24HFS is advertised as having a gray water tank capacity of 57 gallons, but it is only a single 31 gallon tank. So figure on only 32 gallons of gray tank capacity. Not sure if this really matters to you, but it mattered to me, and I kinda got hosed on it (we'll see at the end of the week what happens).

3) The double electric beds are definitely nice to have. They remove very easily with just a couple pins so if you only need one, you can take the other out. But if you end up needing 2, you will have them. They really don't cause any issues with any of my bikes height wise with the double, but I don't know about your golf car... not sure what the measurement is.

4) The fold down dinette is very nice to have, but if you have both benches and tables up, don't plan on getting to the beds / garage area from the front. When the benches are folded into a bed, it also takes up the entire space so if anyone in the electric bed needs to use the bathroom at night, they will have to climb over anyone who is on the dinette bed. We rarely use our dinette bed, but it is still nice to have for the few times we have used it. We usually just send up a single bench and table and that gets us through.

5) If you go with the dinette, be sure to check the folding abilities before you leave the dealership. Mine was mounted too close to the wall and the cushions rub on the edge of the diamond plate when folding. It is already starting to rip the fabric (not even a year old yet). That's another issue that will hopefully be fixed by the end of the week.

6) Add some pieces of thin plywood and get some memory foam 2" pads (minimum) for the rear bed(s). With the mattress that is on there, and just the wood slats, it makes for a very uncomfortable bed. I added a thin piece of plywood to give a flat surface, and then a 3" memory foam pad and now it's like sleeping on a cloud... very comfortable.

7) Get the rear door screen option. It is really nice to be able to open the back door at night to get nice breeze without letting the bugs in.

That's all I can think of for now, but I'll make sure to add anything I think of.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagsboxers View Post
Hi everyone! Hope this is in the right "spot" on the forum! We have a 2015 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi 4x4 with a max tow load of 8090 according to our VIN. We are looking to order a 2016 Hyper Lite 24HFS toy hauler. Here are my questions to those who are knowledgeable or those who may be towing with a similar truck on this toy hauler- did you modify or add anything to the truck to enhance your tow experience?

We will be traveling as a small family with two young boys (3 and 5) and a big boxer dog (what a lucky mom, all boys!). It will be our first RV and I want this to be a positive experience for all of us including my husband who will be the primary driver. Thoughts, suggestions, and advice on this tow set up would be wonderful.

As for toys, our toy is a golf cart. Though I am sure kayaks and fishing poles will be in tow as well! Any advice from those that bring along golf carts would be great too! I'm assuming we need to remove the roof on the cart to drive into the toy hauler.

Lastly, debating on how to configure the garage. Definitely want one electric bed. Not sure about adding the additional set of fold down couches versus keeping that space open versus a second electric bed. Any thoughts here? Would love to hear from any other traveling families with small kids as well as pets. We will be bringing along the dog crate with us.

Thanks!
I'm not going to try to tell you what to do but I can tell you what I plan to do.... With a similarly capable truck.... F-150 w/Coyote V8

I am going to put some Firestone airbags on it, a Reese Strait Line WD Hitch on it, an auxiliary tranny cooler and tow either a 27HFS or a 29HFS with Harley in the Garage area and not worry about it.

I'm not an experienced TT kind of guy but I've done some towing.

Making sure I have a good auxiliary Trans Cooler on my Truck as well.

The Factory one on a 1/2 ton ain't enough.

Tires matter, too. A lot. I don't have low-profile, stylin' type tires. Just some good ol' Michelin stockers. Which on the F-150 are decent quality. Gonna inflate those to 40lbs PSI and head on down the road.

Take a look in here at what some of the members are towing and what they're towing it with.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:31 AM   #6

I might be too late to weigh in but I would not get a second electric bed unless you really need it. With one you can easily use the space under the bed as living space and set up chairs, etc. With two you will need to duck.

The dinette works pretty well, I usually only used one side.

I completely agree with previous posters. Extreme package and screen door are must have items.