Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2015, 10:28 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejd235 View Post
I hope to keep my trailer longer but not till I'm ready for a life change. (Kids are out if college...)
Hope to be able to upgrade to the unit i just can't afford now . it'll be new truck and 5thwheel in a yr or two . then i'll keep for awhile , but the 29 will get me going and do what i need her to for now .
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 09:21 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
Hope to be able to upgrade to the unit i just can't afford now . it'll be new truck and 5thwheel in a yr or two . then i'll keep for awhile , but the 29 will get me going and do what i need her to for now .
A new truck for me before changing out the 29hfs.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:02 AM   #23

Several members got the 5200#s, I just jumped on that bandwagon. Axles hit the frame with 750# Triumph in the garage. The unit was supposed to haul a total of 4017# (brochure) but came in only at 2724#... many were upset, plus this "hitting" issue. No more hitting and it sits a bit taller. On the local purchase or out of town purchase debate. It would depend on really how good that local dealer is (don't take the salesman word, because he will sacrific his children to Molech for a sale. For me, it didn't matter at all. I saved at least $5000 driving to RV Wholesalers in OH; compared to local mid-Florida dealers. "We" now have a local dealer who is capable and will work on this TH. I hope "$50K" is hyperbole and no one is paying that much for a 29HFS?? I recommend the 29 to the OP, but make where ever you order it from put everything in writing and don't assume anything... E-V-E-R-Y T-H-I-N-G. Also, keep in mind the Extreme package doesn't make this unit a true 4 season, that is unless one of them is staying in Naples.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:00 AM   #24

WW can you explain you comments on the extreme package - - do you mean you still need to winterized of course? OR ? Is the heated tanks not enough for staying in the mountains for a couple weeks? What Mods you suggest for lower temps in winter? I'll be using mine all 4 seasons - for pleasure - not living in it - thanks

Get out and Play Harder😛

2015 XLR Hyper Lite 29hsf - loaded on order
2008 Can Am Spyder
Kite Boarding is my Addiction - GOT WIND!
Play Harder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:34 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play Harder View Post
WW can you explain you comments on the extreme package - - do you mean you still need to winterized of course? OR ? Is the heated tanks not enough for staying in the mountains for a couple weeks? What Mods you suggest for lower temps in winter? I'll be using mine all 4 seasons - for pleasure - not living in it - thanks

Get out and Play Harder��

2008 Can Am Spyder
How well any trailer preforms in winter depends on many factors, such as how cold and for how long. My point was that FR, doesn't make the claim that the Extreme Package (extreme weather, I think not) turns this into a Four-Season trailer. The extreme package's double strength windows and extra insulation (whatever that really is); especially heated tanks, will be much much better. I can tell you that a 20K BTU furnace isn't nearly enough. On these units, the underbelly isn't heated, other than what is transferred through the floor or radiates from the heated tanks. I would think uninsulated water piping is a "weak" point, unless you take proper precautions, such as keeping the grey valves open and water dripping, pipes could easily freeze. The pipes that run in that space weren't insulated (mine are now). That is something that can be done, as well as more insulation under the floors and more care sealing up holes and gaps. I've tried to do this, but haven't really put it to the test. I was in it for 2 months and the temps went into the upper 20s a few nights. I left the water dripping and had to seal off the garage; with a 1500w electric heater going all night, the inside temp were in the low 60s, for some this is chilly. If I hadn't closed off the garage, it wouldn't have been nice.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 03-05-2015, 09:47 AM   #26

Good to know - can't believe the heater won't keep up - - guess I'll be getting extra heaters - I know there is a lot of space to heat but you would think they would put s big enough heater in ---- coming from a lance all weather camper that would cooked you --- looks like - I will be wrapping pipes w heater coils and insulation --- thanks for input - better to know what needed before Hand - then to find out in the cold while camping

Get out and Play Harder😛

2008 Can Am Spyder
Old 03-05-2015, 11:32 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
Several members got the 5200#s, I just jumped on that bandwagon. Axles hit the frame with 750# Triumph in the garage. The unit was supposed to haul a total of 4017# (brochure) but came in only at 2724#... many were upset, plus this "hitting" issue. No more hitting and it sits a bit taller. On the local purchase or out of town purchase debate. It would depend on really how good that local dealer is (don't take the salesman word, because he will sacrific his children to Molech for a sale. For me, it didn't matter at all. I saved at least $5000 driving to RV Wholesalers in OH; compared to local mid-Florida dealers. "We" now have a local dealer who is capable and will work on this TH. I hope "$50K" is hyperbole and no one is paying that much for a 29HFS?? I recommend the 29 to the OP, but make where ever you order it from put everything in writing and don't assume anything... E-V-E-R-Y T-H-I-N-G. Also, keep in mind the Extreme package doesn't make this unit a true 4 season, that is unless one of them is staying in Naples.

So you picked yours up from Couches ? if so i may just have to give them a call and see about the upgrade . if yours hit with just one bike what will it be like with 1600 lbs back there . This is a concern as when i pull out and head back to Colorado the closets place is over 350 miles away for any warranty work . if just once we could get answers . the axles weights you got were no different then what i was getting and then they seemed to change from site to site . made it very confusing and now makes me wonder about the dealer and forest river
Old 03-05-2015, 11:55 AM   #28

Quote:
Good to know - can't believe the heater won't keep up - - guess I'll be getting extra heaters - I know there is a lot of space to heat but you would think they would put s big enough heater in ---- coming from a lance all weather camper that would cooked you --- looks like - I will be wrapping pipes w heater coils and insulation --- thanks for input - better to know what needed before Hand - then to find out in the cold while camping

Get out and Play Harder😛

2008 Can Am Spyder

With living in Colorado at 7400 plus elevation . the first thing on the agenda is insulating the underbelly , wrapping all pipes , spraying foam insulation over all that . wrapping all heating ducts , etc . not worried about the water tanks . i will wrap them also and that much water should not freeze over night .
Old 03-05-2015, 05:04 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
Several members got the 5200#s......On the local purchase or out of town... Also, keep in mind the Extreme package doesn't make this unit a true 4 season....
WW
Thank you for your replies. I have been happy with the local dealer and with the cost only about $1k more, I think I'm making the right choice. I will make sure I have everything in writing before I signing. Learned this in my younger years. As for the Extreme package, I only need it for early spring dates and late fall date here in MN. Just looking for a bit more protection and not a full 4 season camper.
Happy camping...
Old 03-05-2015, 07:27 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
So you picked yours up from Couches ? if so i may just have to give them a call and see about the upgrade . if yours hit with just one bike what will it be like with 1600 lbs back there . This is a concern as when i pull out and head back to Colorado the closets place is over 350 miles away for any warranty work . if just once we could get answers . the axles weights you got were no different then what i was getting and then they seemed to change from site to site . made it very confusing and now makes me wonder about the dealer and forest river
No, I think I said RV Wholesalers, Lakeview OH. is where I bought it. I hope you get your answers, I still believe that as long as you don't exceed the gross weight rating of the unit, what is rolling off the assembly line will be OK. I saw just yesterday another forum member who was told by his dealer that his will have the 5200# axles. Remember what I told you, those old brochures are still out there and still confusing people; even dealers.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 03-05-2015, 07:40 PM   #31

Quote:

Get out and Play Harder😛

2008 Can Am Spyder
PLay Harder, BTW I recommend for consideration the catalytic LP heater (shown in some photos) the popular sizes are 6K BTU and 8K. I put one beside the fridge directing towards the recliner; but the garage would need one as well. The are much more efficient... something in the order of 90% or better. And, costs less to operate and no furnace cycling. If you were to use the furnace constantly, two 20 lbs. cylinders aren't enough, IMHO.

If I were to insulate the floor again, I wouldn't take the days to cut and fit around everything, instead I would have insulated the top side of the coroplast belly pan but seal it with some kind of foam, as well as all gaps and seams. This can get wet, so consider what you use for insulation.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 03-05-2015, 08:48 PM   #32

wolfwhistle . sorry i saw OH and thought couches . I did email them again today wanting solid answers . one thing i was told is the belly is sealed and heated . but now i find it's not , just sealed . the dealers no matter who are so full of it . they say what ever with out any knowledge of wtf is really in the units their selling or anything else for that matter . before the deal closed i was getting calls at least every other day . now i can't get them on the phone . just like in the other thread where they told him there was 5200 lbs axles . they really don't give a hoot if someone overloads a unit and they have blow out and do damage or die . their covered by saying it was over loaded .

What i don't understand is if you just had one bike in the back why did you have issues with axles bottoming out ? I told the dealer today that i expect to be able to carry 2 motorcycles up 1800 ++lbs and expect the unit to handle this plus the remainder of weight used up in other areas . very aggravating
Old 03-05-2015, 09:15 PM   #33

No problem.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 03-06-2015, 09:33 AM   #34

Extreme weather package is not sounding very extreme -- hopefully it helps keep the heat in and less sweating w dual pane glass - I expected garage area to need a heater - anybody install bigger furnace? - add 2 heaters to my trailer equipment list -

On the other end of the spectrum dare to ask how is the AC unit I upgraded to he 15btu?

Get out and Play Harder😛

2008 Can Am Spyder
Old 03-06-2015, 09:43 AM   #35

Stevejd235 hope u don't mind me hijacking your thread a bit ---getting some great information from members -- thanks starting this thread

Get out and Play Harder😛

2008 Can Am Spyder
Old 03-06-2015, 10:54 AM   #36

Quote:
Stevejd235 hope u don't mind me hijacking your thread a bit ---getting some great information from members -- thanks starting this thread

Get out and Play Harder😛

2008 Can Am Spyder
Play Harder,
Love seeing the other questions and comments. It's helping all of us...:thumbup:
Old 03-06-2015, 11:32 AM   #37

Quote:
Extreme weather package is not sounding very extreme -- hopefully it helps keep the heat in and less sweating w dual pane glass - I expected garage area to need a heater - anybody install bigger furnace? - add 2 heaters to my trailer equipment list -

On the other end of the spectrum dare to ask how is the AC unit I upgraded to he 15btu?

Get out and Play Harder😛

2008 Can Am Spyder
The double pane does stop the condensation 99% and greatly helps.

Because of their inefficiency I would not consider a larger furnace, even if it would fit but I don't think it will.

I've only toyed with the idea of upgrading to a 15K but thought of making it a heat pump. But, I am not convinced that 15K would be enough by itself. I have also considered staying with the 13.5K and adding an 11K non-ducted in the garage. This might be too many BTUs. I would think at this point, it would require going 50 Amp. This isn't a problem since we have access and a compartment directly behind the utility "center".

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 03-07-2015, 08:57 PM   #38

Getting ready to purchase 29HFS

Picked up Anderson WD hitch today defiantly like the size and weight --- along w there ultimate trailer gear come in a nice bag - that everything actual fits back in the bag - reviews coming in couple weeks

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1425779711.532936.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	70944Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1425779737.441034.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	70945Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1425779750.571390.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	70946Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1425779762.794504.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	70947

Get out and Play Harder😛

2008 Can Am Spyder
Old 03-08-2015, 09:34 AM   #39

Quote:
Picked up Anderson WD hitch today defiantly like the size and weight --- along w there ultimate trailer gear come in a nice bag - that everything actual fits back in the bag - reviews coming in couple weeks

Attachment 70944Attachment 70945Attachment 70946Attachment 70947

Get out and Play Harder��

2008 Can Am Spyder
That just pees me off that you have this and I don't! I am trying to figure out why you were defiant?

Can you share the part number and where you got the WDH? Thanks, Wolf

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 03-08-2015, 10:18 AM   #40

Part # for Anderson WD hitch w 4"drop 6" frame 2-5/16 ball is part # 3350 -- they also make w 8" drop if you have a tall sitting truck part# 3380.

The ultimate trailer gear part # is 3600 - really a nice set includes 4 jack pads, 1 clean step, trailer levelers w tuff chocks, 2 extra tuff chocks, rapid jack and bag - rapid jack muliple uses looks like a time saver - allow you to use is to change a flat tire w no jacks needed..... All stored neatly in a handy bag - I like organized chaos 😎Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1425827872.673500.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	70966Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1425827889.672488.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	70967

I purchased from my local trailer dealer down the street

Get out and Play Harder😛

2008 Can Am Spyder