Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2015, 10:28 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
northstar1960's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: in my new 29hfsxlr
Posts: 1,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejd235 View Post
I hope to keep my trailer longer but not till I'm ready for a life change. (Kids are out if college...)
Hope to be able to upgrade to the unit i just can't afford now . it'll be new truck and 5thwheel in a yr or two . then i'll keep for awhile , but the 29 will get me going and do what i need her to for now .
__________________

__________________
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 09:21 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
Hope to be able to upgrade to the unit i just can't afford now . it'll be new truck and 5thwheel in a yr or two . then i'll keep for awhile , but the 29 will get me going and do what i need her to for now .
A new truck for me before changing out the 29hfs.
__________________

__________________
2015 XLR Hyperlite 29HFS (installing mods...)
2004 GMC 2500HD 4X4 6.0L
stevejd235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:02 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,155
Several members got the 5200#s, I just jumped on that bandwagon. Axles hit the frame with 750# Triumph in the garage. The unit was supposed to haul a total of 4017# (brochure) but came in only at 2724#... many were upset, plus this "hitting" issue. No more hitting and it sits a bit taller. On the local purchase or out of town purchase debate. It would depend on really how good that local dealer is (don't take the salesman word, because he will sacrific his children to Molech for a sale. For me, it didn't matter at all. I saved at least $5000 driving to RV Wholesalers in OH; compared to local mid-Florida dealers. "We" now have a local dealer who is capable and will work on this TH. I hope "$50K" is hyperbole and no one is paying that much for a 29HFS?? I recommend the 29 to the OP, but make where ever you order it from put everything in writing and don't assume anything... E-V-E-R-Y T-H-I-N-G. Also, keep in mind the Extreme package doesn't make this unit a true 4 season, that is unless one of them is staying in Naples.
__________________
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:00 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
Play Harder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 506
WW can you explain you comments on the extreme package - - do you mean you still need to winterized of course? OR ? Is the heated tanks not enough for staying in the mountains for a couple weeks? What Mods you suggest for lower temps in winter? I'll be using mine all 4 seasons - for pleasure - not living in it - thanks


Get out and Play Harder😛

2015 XLR Hyper Lite 29hsf - loaded on order
2008 Can Am Spyder
Kite Boarding is my Addiction - GOT WIND!
__________________
Play Harder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:34 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Play Harder View Post
WW can you explain you comments on the extreme package - - do you mean you still need to winterized of course? OR ? Is the heated tanks not enough for staying in the mountains for a couple weeks? What Mods you suggest for lower temps in winter? I'll be using mine all 4 seasons - for pleasure - not living in it - thanks


Get out and Play Harder��

2015 XLR Hyper Lite 29hsf - loaded on order
2008 Can Am Spyder
Kite Boarding is my Addiction - GOT WIND!
How well any trailer preforms in winter depends on many factors, such as how cold and for how long. My point was that FR, doesn't make the claim that the Extreme Package (extreme weather, I think not) turns this into a Four-Season trailer. The extreme package's double strength windows and extra insulation (whatever that really is); especially heated tanks, will be much much better. I can tell you that a 20K BTU furnace isn't nearly enough. On these units, the underbelly isn't heated, other than what is transferred through the floor or radiates from the heated tanks. I would think uninsulated water piping is a "weak" point, unless you take proper precautions, such as keeping the grey valves open and water dripping, pipes could easily freeze. The pipes that run in that space weren't insulated (mine are now). That is something that can be done, as well as more insulation under the floors and more care sealing up holes and gaps. I've tried to do this, but haven't really put it to the test. I was in it for 2 months and the temps went into the upper 20s a few nights. I left the water dripping and had to seal off the garage; with a 1500w electric heater going all night, the inside temp were in the low 60s, for some this is chilly. If I hadn't closed off the garage, it wouldn't have been nice.
__________________
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:47 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
Play Harder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 506
Good to know - can't believe the heater won't keep up - - guess I'll be getting extra heaters - I know there is a lot of space to heat but you would think they would put s big enough heater in ---- coming from a lance all weather camper that would cooked you --- looks like - I will be wrapping pipes w heater coils and insulation --- thanks for input - better to know what needed before Hand - then to find out in the cold while camping


Get out and Play Harder😛

2015 XLR Hyper Lite 29hsf - loaded on order
2008 Can Am Spyder
Kite Boarding is my Addiction - GOT WIND!
__________________
Play Harder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:32 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
northstar1960's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: in my new 29hfsxlr
Posts: 1,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
Several members got the 5200#s, I just jumped on that bandwagon. Axles hit the frame with 750# Triumph in the garage. The unit was supposed to haul a total of 4017# (brochure) but came in only at 2724#... many were upset, plus this "hitting" issue. No more hitting and it sits a bit taller. On the local purchase or out of town purchase debate. It would depend on really how good that local dealer is (don't take the salesman word, because he will sacrific his children to Molech for a sale. For me, it didn't matter at all. I saved at least $5000 driving to RV Wholesalers in OH; compared to local mid-Florida dealers. "We" now have a local dealer who is capable and will work on this TH. I hope "$50K" is hyperbole and no one is paying that much for a 29HFS?? I recommend the 29 to the OP, but make where ever you order it from put everything in writing and don't assume anything... E-V-E-R-Y T-H-I-N-G. Also, keep in mind the Extreme package doesn't make this unit a true 4 season, that is unless one of them is staying in Naples.


So you picked yours up from Couches ? if so i may just have to give them a call and see about the upgrade . if yours hit with just one bike what will it be like with 1600 lbs back there . This is a concern as when i pull out and head back to Colorado the closets place is over 350 miles away for any warranty work . if just once we could get answers . the axles weights you got were no different then what i was getting and then they seemed to change from site to site . made it very confusing and now makes me wonder about the dealer and forest river
__________________
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:55 AM   #28
Senior Member
 
northstar1960's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: in my new 29hfsxlr
Posts: 1,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Play Harder View Post
Good to know - can't believe the heater won't keep up - - guess I'll be getting extra heaters - I know there is a lot of space to heat but you would think they would put s big enough heater in ---- coming from a lance all weather camper that would cooked you --- looks like - I will be wrapping pipes w heater coils and insulation --- thanks for input - better to know what needed before Hand - then to find out in the cold while camping


Get out and Play Harder😛

2015 XLR Hyper Lite 29hsf - loaded on order
2008 Can Am Spyder
Kite Boarding is my Addiction - GOT WIND!

With living in Colorado at 7400 plus elevation . the first thing on the agenda is insulating the underbelly , wrapping all pipes , spraying foam insulation over all that . wrapping all heating ducts , etc . not worried about the water tanks . i will wrap them also and that much water should not freeze over night .
__________________
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 05:04 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
Several members got the 5200#s......On the local purchase or out of town... Also, keep in mind the Extreme package doesn't make this unit a true 4 season....
WW
Thank you for your replies. I have been happy with the local dealer and with the cost only about $1k more, I think I'm making the right choice. I will make sure I have everything in writing before I signing. Learned this in my younger years. As for the Extreme package, I only need it for early spring dates and late fall date here in MN. Just looking for a bit more protection and not a full 4 season camper.
Happy camping...
__________________
2015 XLR Hyperlite 29HFS (installing mods...)
2004 GMC 2500HD 4X4 6.0L
stevejd235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:27 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
So you picked yours up from Couches ? if so i may just have to give them a call and see about the upgrade . if yours hit with just one bike what will it be like with 1600 lbs back there . This is a concern as when i pull out and head back to Colorado the closets place is over 350 miles away for any warranty work . if just once we could get answers . the axles weights you got were no different then what i was getting and then they seemed to change from site to site . made it very confusing and now makes me wonder about the dealer and forest river
No, I think I said RV Wholesalers, Lakeview OH. is where I bought it. I hope you get your answers, I still believe that as long as you don't exceed the gross weight rating of the unit, what is rolling off the assembly line will be OK. I saw just yesterday another forum member who was told by his dealer that his will have the 5200# axles. Remember what I told you, those old brochures are still out there and still confusing people; even dealers.
__________________

__________________
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:22 AM.