Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2015, 10:19 AM   #41

Play Harder

I got the ultimate trailer gear bag also . looked to be the best way to go all in one and no stacking blocks . The hitch is a solid unit can't wait to get mine hooked up . I also got the tow trector grass mud flaps that fit on the receiver and cover the whole back of the truck . need to protect the new TH .
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:22 AM   #42

now price comparisons . i paid 189 for the ultimate bag free shipping . what did your dealer ding you for ?
Old 03-08-2015, 10:34 AM   #43

Getting ready to purchase 29HFS

I asked if that was there best price and got -480 for hitch and 189 for gear - plus tax ---freeway trailers is high Volume trailer parts store luckily just down the street -- They had high praises for Anderson WD hitch and of course up sold me on the accessories lol

Get out and Play Harder😛

2015 XLR Hyper Lite 29hsf - loaded on order
2008 Can Am Spyder
Kite Boarding is my Addiction - GOT WIND!
Play Harder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:37 AM   #44

OK my shopping list just gets longer and longer. I can't wait to hear first hand how the Andersen WD hitch and Ultimate pack work out with the 29HFS. Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences and knowledge...
stevejd235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:38 AM   #45

Thanks PH. I have their rapid jack... Going to try it next hookup. I want to try it for leveling too. Not sure how well it will work but it would give infinite variations... Back or pull ahead till copilot says stop then chock it. I'm going to weigh this sucker too

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:45 AM   #46

Being Amish i'll stick with biodegradable.. degrading as we "speak" as they say (don't you hate it when they say that?)

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 03-08-2015, 01:23 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play Harder View Post
I asked if that was there best price and got -480 for hitch and 189 for gear - plus tax ---freeway trailers is high Volume trailer parts store luckily just down the street -- They had high praises for Anderson WD hitch and of course up sold me on the accessories lol

Get out and Play Harder😛

2008 Can Am Spyder

At hitchesonline the andersen is 449 shipped no tax 189 for the ultimate pack shipped no tax . it really pays to shop on line and then the check prices at several places . both units got here in less then 5 days
Old 03-08-2015, 10:00 PM   #48

Yep I know - but wanted it NOW! Lol and only 12 days left before I'm out of time........trying support one local shop 😃 still can't believe no RV sellers on the west coast will come within 12k of RV wholesalers price - fully loaded hyper light 29hfs only missing the party deck - and choose to save a little weight there

Counting down to pick up - any suggestions anybody has for when I pick her up is appreciated.

Get out and Play Harder😛

2008 Can Am Spyder
Old 03-09-2015, 06:22 AM   #49

As far as picking her up on OH, I can tell you how it went with me.

I stayed in a town just east of them the night before in a nice motel. There are some west as well... probably 10 - 12 miles away. I had an appointment at a certain time with their rep, so I arrived early.

The rep had some trouble finding 'her', but soon they pulled 'her' around so we could do the PDI. Look at the dry weight and cargo capacity and make sure it is what you expected it to be.

After the PDI I went in with the closer to sign all the docs. Don't sign until you are happy with the unit and be very sure the application for title and the contract is correct, mine wasn't. I caught it and they corrected it.

I had already had the VIN and arranged for my insurance company to get a copy of proof to RVW. They couldn't find it right away, so I had them send it again.

For the PDI I had a check list. The young man handling the PDI was patient and helpful. What I asked for he delivered. Added water to the fresh tank, hooked up city water, hooked up shore power, bought gas from them (not the best price in town, but convenient); turned everything on and ran everything.

Crawled all over and looked under her, other than the roof, that they had just walked and inspected carefully. Opened everything and looked everywhere.

Since, I was going into Canada and visiting upper NY state and PA, etc. I should have bought the tongue jack extension or foot, that I have now. Since, I carried the Triumph, getting the tongue high enough was an issue. They helped with the initial loading, and it didn't present an issue as I traveled. I now carrying a jack stand in case range of the tongue jack isn't enough. You might have to raise it as far as it will go, support with the jack stand, run it back down, add boards, etc.

I actually installed the WDH myself, I knew the measurements, setup and adjustments, so it was no big deal. I am sure that saved me money and time.

I stayed at the state campground practically across the road from them for 2 days in case I found any issues, which I did not.

I had taken probably too many tools, and had a few misc. screws, which came in handy since on the first leg of the trip, the microwave nearly fell out of the cabinet. Really this was the only issue other than a couple of loose cabinet screws.

Roads after winter (when it ends) is really bad in that part of the world. NY had to be worse, but surprisingly bad all over. Just take your time and don't be in any hurry.

Make sure you have tools to tighten hitch parts and lug nuts. I brought a torgue wrench for the lugs.

I took a grease gun with high temp loaded and pumped until it showed red. You only have to pop off the plug on the wheel center cap. I did this at the first 50 mile check after warming up the bearings.

Check lug nuts at 50 miles and repeat every 100 after that. I was surprised that even up to 400 miles, how much they still turned. I think at 500 miles they were good, as they were at a 1000, then I checked once in the morning before hitting the road after that (most of the time).

I also checked bearing / brake and even tire temps. Harbor Freight has a temp gun for under $30, that seems to be good enough for this.

Something else a little odd and still happens, is that the bathroom and garage vents can open. If the open up and it rains hard things could get wet. Not so much while moving but after stopping. Just tighten a little more than normal and they should be OK.

If you plan to stay in it, make a list and check it twice.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 03-09-2015, 08:26 AM   #50

Great info would not of thought about greasing bearing that soon or checking lug nuts that often..... U have electric Jack on yours? Not bringing Can-Am Spyder on this trip but though research it sounds like I would need to jack up front all TH to get up ramp w Spyder.

Was microwave not bolted down?

Thanks

Get out and Play Harder😛

2008 Can Am Spyder
Old 03-09-2015, 09:55 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play Harder View Post
Great info would not of thought about greasing bearing that soon or checking lug nuts that often..... U have electric Jack on yours? Not bringing Can-Am Spyder on this trip but though research it sounds like I would need to jack up front all TH to get up ramp w Spyder.

Was microwave not bolted down?

Thanks

Get out and Play Harder😛

2008 Can Am Spyder
What wolfwhistle says

Make a check list and go over everything twice , make sure all components work , fridge , furnace , all light switches operate the lights there meant to , awning , cabinets , make sure all doors seal correctly , including ramp door , slide out , i suspect it'll take me at least 4 hrs to go over the unit thoroughly , check all fuel sources and operate duel fuel items on both electric and gas . this will mean filling with some water , fill the hot water tank and check . look for leaks .

Having done home inspection for the last 7yrs i've trained my eyes to see the out ordinary
Old 03-09-2015, 06:11 PM   #52

PH, no electric jacks or stabs. The micie cabinet opening was too large for the mic with the surround. To close the gap at the top the "installer" lifted it up off the feet... So only 4 screws through the surround was holding the sucker up... Held from IN to OH but failed in the next 200 miles. The fix was a piece of 1/2" ply under it. FR could have some scrap under it. I don't care but my theory is the opening might have been sized for the convection option... Or the micie was smaller than "planned". I just replaced it with a combo unit and had to rebuild it anyhew

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas