Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2016, 06:28 PM   #1

Grill

I am trying to find out what grill will work for us, I cannot decide on charcoal or gas? We are currently using a 14 inch charcoal grill. It's too small and the mess is a hassle to pack for transport. Do they make a combo grill that can be used by propane or charcoal. Best of both worlds...
laurajean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 08:35 PM   #2

Yes saw one at lowe's but only noticed it because the sign said gas or charcol.
Sayitdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:54 AM   #3

They exist but they're big ones. Link:https://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&pag...arcoal%20combo
Even Home Depot and Walmart only shows big ones.
Wiscampsin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 11:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajean View Post
I am trying to find out what grill will work for us, I cannot decide on charcoal or gas? We are currently using a 14 inch charcoal grill. It's too small and the mess is a hassle to pack for transport. Do they make a combo grill that can be used by propane or charcoal. Best of both worlds...
I've been grilling for 50 years and I gave up on charcoal 30 years ago.

Too dirty, too much trouble, the alkaline charcoal eats through the metal too fast, (spare me the ceramic accolades) expensive and WAY too time consuming.

If you gotta, gotta grill over an open fire, dig a hole, find a couple of Concrete blocks (or something) and put an old Oven Grill over it. Or whatever your imagination can come up with.

Then use wood, REAL wood, burn it down to charcoal and grill over that. THAT is the real deal. Charcoal basically sucks. Especially if you gotta lug one of those nasty grills with you all over God's creation.

And don't go too small on your gas grill. Broil King makes 3-burner grill that kicks butt and the sides fold down. If you want a side burner, go for it. Shop around

I have a cheap one I bought at Wally World for my 29HFS. It's okay. Wish I had went with the Broil King (Lowes)

Charcoal is okay for some people at their home. Me? I don't bother with it.

You want a smoke taste? Take some Hickory, Apple or whatever, wrap it tightly in some Aluminum Foil and poke some toothpick-sized holes in it, then throw it over a burner or in between. No need to soak the wood first unless you want to or you're gonna be on the grill for hours on end.

Not as good as a real wood fire, but not bad. Don't over-do it. Start out slow until you figure out what's-what.

Just my $.02

And worth slightly less
The Big Toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 02:12 PM   #5

I use a Traeger PTG+ pellet grill

2016 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax DRW
2017 XLR Thunderbolt 340AMP
taylorjw0831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 03:07 PM   #6

I am leaning towards a Coleman portable lxe or similar. It was getting too much keeping track of if we have enough charcoal, lighter fluid. Charcoal is $10 a bag, when I bought the less expensive at wally world the stuff didn't fully burn down once started. Keeping it simple.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:09 PM   #7

I will find a home a home for the grill near the aux tank rack on the 29hfs. I already store my 6 ft ladder there.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:31 PM   #8

I carry a charcoal and gas grill.

I find that some things taste better on charcoal or gas. I like pork and chicken on charcoal(low and slow) and steak on gas for the high heat(searing).

The Jumbo Joe has a metal handle that clamps the lid well when moving it. I just purchased to Q 2200 for it's features one of which is a real low flame when needed(I can put a griddle on it and forget the Coleman stove). They are spendy but durable.

Jumbo Joe® 18" | Weber.com

Weber Q | Weber.com

Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 06:15 PM   #9

I've got to say,go with the Weber Q series.Great grill.A little pricey,but well worth it.We are on our 4th year with ours.I carry a 20# extra bottle for it.Get the hose and go.You can use the small bottles,but the 20 # just works for us.

2011 Ram Mega Cab 3500 Larimie dually
2016 Chaparral 370FL
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 06:28 PM   #10

X2

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
egladden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:23 PM   #11

Mini Max Big Green Egg. Can't beat it for flavor and ease of grilling and smoking. We cook meats, stews, breakfast, desserts, vegetables. Almost anything tastes better cooked on it.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote