Old 11-25-2015, 04:13 PM   #1

Heat vent garage in XLR Hyperlight

As some of u know I'm changing out furnace in my 29 hfs Hyperlight and while in the process the shop doing the work Noticed the garage heater feed has a reducer on it - like a 2 inch duct hose to a 2 inch opening -

I wonder why there is no chance for any heat to get to the garage - they should of put the reducer in the bathroom and full duct to garage -

Check this out - here's why no heat to garage -- this won't solve my heating problem but it's not helping

Old 11-25-2015, 04:19 PM   #2

Won't let me post picture at this time pull your garage vent off and u will see exactly what I'm talking about

Old 11-25-2015, 09:20 PM   #3

Garage heat reducer Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1448504320.859317.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	95013Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1448504336.681904.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	95014

I find this very funny
Old 11-25-2015, 09:37 PM   #4

I will definitely look at mine mine.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:55 PM   #5

Hey my garage vent was sucking air instead of blowing air out of that 2" vent. LOL found the duct work tee causing a venturi effect. Fixed that but 1 little 2" vent does nothing to heat a 12' garage.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 07:37 PM   #6
John513

They must have made that change on the 2016 models. My 2015 is 4" like the living area. I was planning on changing the garage register with one that has a damper anyways to help out the living area when I don't really need the heat in garage.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:16 PM   #7

My 2015 doesn't have the reducer thingy. Its 4" ... All are that size... the actual opening in the register is about 3-1/2" ... of course all my registers are now returns with the heater mod I did. I should go with NT 30 furnance. But if i swap out the AC with a ducted 15K heat pump, but that will have to wait. I found out if I move the 13.5K to the garage it will fit my RV port; if only barely. 28.5K should cool her off. WW
Old 11-26-2015, 09:16 PM   #8

Heat vent garage in XLR Hyperlight

WW I'll post up what it takes to get the NT 30 in its 12*12 instead of 9*9 inches so a couple mods are required easy stuff for WW - it's quite a bit bigger after seeing the unit -

I still don't know why it's reduced in the garage - I can see reduced to the little bathroom but the 10 ft garage is funny don't know who the engineer was on that one 😄
Old 11-27-2015, 07:55 AM   #9

Mine is the same PH. 2015 model, reduced vent in the garage.
Old 11-27-2015, 07:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play Harder View Post
WW I'll post up what it takes to get the NT 30 in its 12*12 instead of 9*9 inches so a couple mods are required easy stuff for WW - it's quite a bit bigger after seeing the unit -

I still don't know why it's reduced in the garage - I can see reduced to the little bathroom but the 10 ft garage is funny don't know who the engineer was on that one ��
I would hope it wasn't engineered that way... maybe it was a crude way to avoid installing a properly sized unit... to make the main area warmer at the expense of letting the garage freeze.

Based on what our friend Dennis tells us, it has to be deliberate. Dennis, did you get the so called "extreme" package?

I actually blocked off the garage, prior to the mod, and the 19K would not keep up even if running non-stop. I am trying to remember but it was in the low 30s, the camper reached a little over 60F those nights. I sealed the garage interior door and had reflectix on ALL windows and those insulated vent pillows, by the way.

The garage needs two 4 inch ducts at a minimum, but of course useless with the 19K, but probably would be all you need with the NT30. How about using a Heat Wave 8K on the optional stand in the garage, which can move around with a flexible hose and quick connect (and valve)... you could even move it out onto the party deck for those cool evenings. The big patio heaters are gas hogs.

I don't think you will go through that much more LPG with the 30K; it will run a lot less, but since you can actually warm the unit, of course you will use more.

I haven't camped in the cold since the heater mod (made the return grill the supply and but the garage register are returns)... even if i'm at home, and it happens to get cold, I am going to give it a test.

To all who reads... I hope all ya'll had a nice Thanksgiving.
WW

Tags
light, vent, xlr